It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN..

So, 13+ years of riding my xs11 and it came to pass that i got involved in a fender bender.
    Traffic on the interstate came to a rapid halt and a half second later i realized that i didn't have enough distance to stop in time. I swerved left toward the median/shoulder. I ended up clipping the rear bumper with my saddlebag. Kept it upright and stopped. Guy I hit didn't pull over and kept going. I'm guessing he didn't have insurance or was in too big a hurry. Oh well. At least i dont have to pay to repair his bumper.
    Put back in gear and rode it home.
    Here's a pic.

The highway peg rotated around a dented the alt cover too. I think the hardest part to fix is going to be the shock mount post. It's bent about 20degrees back. I might be able to bend it back, and hope it doesn't snap off.
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

Whoah! Close one! Glad you're alright, George!

Good luck straightening the shock bolt. How did the saddlebag cover even stay with the bike, is it attached to a cable or something?
    Last edited by 3Phase; 01-17-2017, 06:05 PM. Reason: Can't spell 'cover', over.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

ouch..bikes can be fixed alot easier than yourself...Glad you were not hurt...
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
        Whoah! Close one! Glad you're alright, George!

Good luck straightening the shock bolt. How did the saddlebag over even stay with the bike, is it attached to a cable or something?
        The lid has a strap/cable on it to limit how far it opens. Plus it's wedged inder the trun signal.

The Green Monster
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
        Got him in '04.

Scarlet
        Got her in '11
        Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
        Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
          ouch..bikes can be fixed alot easier than yourself...Glad you were not hurt...
          Thanks Ben. Sad to hear you're moving to Arizona, but at least the riding weather is good out there.

The Green Monster
          Got him in '04.

Scarlet
          Got her in '11
          Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
          Cold weather ride

Comment

Thanks George..I have mixed feelings about moving...there is alot here I really enjoy..but the past 2 yrs have been increasingly harder..arthritic condition coupled with the damp SE climate is enough to push me outta here. Arizona's climate will suit me much better...Take care and hope you can fix that shock mount without too much trouble..
            BTW I have an open door policy for 99% of motorcyclists and 100% for fellow XSives...once we're out there...
            Last edited by madmax-im; 01-17-2017, 06:23 PM.
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
              So, 13+ years of riding my xs11 and it came to pass that i got involved in a fender bender.
              Traffic on the interstate came to a rapid halt and a half second later i realized that i didn't have enough distance to stop in time. I swerved left toward the median/shoulder. I ended up clipping the rear bumper with my saddlebag. Kept it upright and stopped. Guy I hit didn't pull over and kept going. I'm guessing he didn't have insurance or was in too big a hurry. Oh well. At least i dont have to pay to repair his bumper.
              Put back in gear and rode it home.
              Here's a pic.

The highway peg rotated around a dented the alt cover too. I think the hardest part to fix is going to be the shock mount post. It's bent about 20degrees back. I might be able to bend it back, and hope it doesn't snap off.

Glad you didn't damage your leg on that one George.

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
              Thanks George..I have mixed feelings about moving...there is alot here I really enjoy..but the past 2 yrs have been increasingly harder..arthritic condition coupled with the damp SE climate is enough to push me outta here. Arizona's climate will suit me much better...Take care and hope you can fix that shock mount without too much trouble..
              BTW I have an open door policy for 99% of motorcyclists and 100% for fellow XSives...once we're out there...
              You never know when a bunch of South Central outlaws might show up in Arizona. Will you at least be in striking distance of the great riding and scenery of the Canyon Lands?
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Canyonlands? Would think so...Am thinking about the Colorado rally next year too...y'all be welcomed ...
                Last edited by madmax-im; 01-17-2017, 08:28 PM.
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I have that one penciled in too Ben. It'll be good to see you again.

XJOK2PLAY, Bigfoot, JWHoughes, and I were there last year. Way smaller that XS Southeast but a great bunch.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Greg- It may BE smaller the Southeast but doesn't have to STAY smaller than Southeast...

madmax-im, would be great to have you join us in Colorado!
                    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

In my opinion, smaller is better Howard.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Hi George,
                        Narrow escape. Well done on surviving the incident.
                        Glad you are OK. Bag is made of ABS so you may be able to plastic weld it back together. I wonder if a bit of heat applied to the shock mount would prevent it from breaking when you straighten it ?
                        Phil
                        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                          Hi George,
                          Narrow escape. Well done on surviving the incident.
                          Glad you are OK. Bag is made of ABS so you may be able to plastic weld it back together. I wonder if a bit of heat applied to the shock mount would prevent it from breaking when you straighten it ?
                          Phil
                          Thanks Phil for the idea about the heat. It might be a few weeks before i get around to messing with any of it.

The Green Monster
                          Got him in '04.

Scarlet
                          Got her in '11
                          Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
                          Cold weather ride

Comment

Whew!

That's scary George.

We are all so glad it didn't end in a worse way.

I'm sure we can offer ideas and/or parts when you get to fixing it.
                            -Mike
                            _________
                            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

+1 on the heat before smacking the stud back.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                              X