Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dumbing of America:Boring Grammar Rant

Hey folks,

First off...relax! I'm not dissing on anybody on here. This is a very informal place, and so most of us don't really care about misspelled words or grammatical mistakes.

BUT, on the last day of my FMLA time off this week, I was perusing the stories on MSN, and was very surprised to see so many errors in professionally printed/published works on a major internet news site! Granted, several of the articles are essentially retweets...just imported articles from other sources like Reader's Digest, BangWhiz or such, but was still surprised to see them. And these are really fairly obvious errors, not some little obscure rule that nobody aside from an English major would worry about.

From NBC News by Lakshmi Gandhi
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/lad...L&ocid=U142DHP

In celebration of the U.S. Mint and Treasury's 225th anniversary, the new $100 coin was unveiled on Thursday featuring Lady Liberty as an black woman.
    From Readers Digest by Cheryl S. Grant
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medi...L&ocid=U142DHP

To be on the safe, side try these tips from Michigan State University Extension to cut down on double-dipping germs:
    By Bang Showbiz
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/cele...L&ocid=U142DHP

The 18-year-old actor-and-rapper - the son of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith - decided to share his disappointing news in a Instagram Live video in which he began ranting about wanting to move out of the 'City of Angels' because there are too many "bad things" there.
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Yes, those proof readers should loose their job.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

murder the language

You should listen to the morning news on channel 7 out of Wausau, WI. The blond chick reads at about the 3rd grade level.
      put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
      79 F (Blueballs)
      79 SF (Redbutt)
      81 LH (organ donor)
      79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
      76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
      rover has spoken

Comment

Originally posted by rover View Post
        You should listen to the morning news on channel 7 out of Wausau, WI. The blond chick reads at about the 3rd grade level.
        I dont mean to be a jerk, but I find irony in you posting on this thread with a typo in your sig.

1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

Comment

the dumbing------

Strange. This signature has been correct for many years. I did NOTHING to change it. Guess I better quit posting
          79 F (Blueballs)
          79 SF (Redbutt)
          81 LH (organ donor)
          79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
          76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
          rover has spoken

Comment

You started it TC.....
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

This will set the cat amongst the pigeons

Don't forget a lot of folks in the US speak American not English
              Rob
              XS Eleven SF
              Could this be the finest Triumph Bonneville ever built ?
              (Cycle January 1979)

Comment

What's Aluminum? Prolly some sort of metal.

Comment

Originally posted by FJ111200 View Post
                  What's Aluminum? Prolly some sort of metal.
                  It's lighter than Aluminium so it's easier to transcribe and form.
                  -- Scott
                  _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                  1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                  1979 XS1100F: parts
                  2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

And there was me thinking it was just a difference in pronunciation
                    Rob
                    XS Eleven SF
                    Could this be the finest Triumph Bonneville ever built ?
                    (Cycle January 1979)

Comment

Originally posted by robbo View Post
                      And there was me thinking it was just a difference in pronunciation
                      Well, that's what happens when u loses one i.
                      -- Scott
                      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I don't mind the occasional misspelling as much, but at work I get official emails from "Professionals" in text form, where it's obviously way too much effort to spell out "For" (4) "You" (U) "Let me know" (LMK) and "Of course" (ofc).... just to name a few.
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I occasionally misspell words; just check out my blog page! However, the level of incompetence in "professional" correspondence is increasing.

SWMBO is an English major and has to deal with this more than I. She works at a college and you should see the spelling errors in college catalogs. You would think colleges would be more particular about their printed material but errors are rampant as are incorrect use of word tense and punctuation.

"Lets eat Grandma." vs "Lets eat, Grandma." (Commas save lives.

None of this is new but the rate seems to be increasing. Standards are being lowered. Not good, IMHO.
                          Jerry Fields
                          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                          '06 Concours
                          My Galleries Page.
                          My Blog Page.
                          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by sethhope View Post
                            I dont mean to be a jerk, but I find irony in you posting on this thread with a typo in your sig.

its not a typo..it was done on purpose and it is an exaggeration of a word to emphasize a point...so stop being a jerk..
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                              I occasionally misspell words; just check out my blog page! However, the level of incompetence in "professional" correspondence is increasing.

SWMBO is an English major and has to deal with this more than I. She works at a college and you should see the spelling errors in college catalogs. You would think colleges would be more particular about their printed material but errors are rampant as are incorrect use of word tense and punctuation.

"Lets eat Grandma." vs "Lets eat, Grandma." (Commas save lives.

None of this is new but the rate seems to be increasing. Standards are being lowered. Not good, IMHO.
                              Actually, instead of "Lets eat Grandma", CORRECTED should be (Let's(let us) eat Grandma".
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X