Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Wife Nancy

Hey there Friends, Family, Coworkers,

First some background information. Every year for the past 2 years Nancy has undergone biopsies of growths and irregularities on the inside of her mouth, tongue, cheek, and both times they came back just severe hyperplasias, which are the last step that tissues undergo before they are called cancers. So...aside from removing the irregularities during the biopsies, there wasn't any other treatment possible. So...another year went by. She
    started noticing a larger area of irregularity on the inside of her left cheek, and occasionally it would just start bleeding. Her upper gum line next to her cheek was also involved. She saw an oral surgeon, and he did an MRI-scan of her cheek, and found a lesion 2cm's or so in size. This caused him to contact the Oral Oncologist for an appointment ASAP. When she saw him, they said that it now looked like the type of cancer that occurs in the mouth. They did a biopsy, and the results came back as OSSC/Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma. She will be having a CT-scan of her head/shoulders tomorrow/Saturday to check for evidence of spreading to her lymph glands. We just found out that next weekend the doctor wants her to have a PET scan to check for evidence of metastasis...partly because she doesn't have any of the attributes that normally contribute to having OSSC. Oral cancers are more prone to men than women by a 2:1 ratio, and usually have either a long history of smoking or heavy alcohol use. Nancy never smoked, rarely drank. She was exposed to second hand smoke for the early years of her life with her parents that smoked, and then her first husband of 8-10 years. She was diagnosed a few years ago with a mild form of COPD(chronic obstructive pulmonary disease=emphysema) from her few decades of exposure to second hand smoke.

So...we can only assume that it was the second hand smoke exposure that has contributed to her getting this stuff. The Pet Scan will also determine if there is any evidence of metastasis as well as determining if the mouth is the primary site, or if it's actually a secondary site and that she may have a primary tumor elsewhere. Due to the size of the lesion in her cheek and that it has invaded her gums, it will most likely be classified as Stage IV, but the further staging won't be known until after the CT and Pet Scans.

But they are working on getting these done ASAP, the doctor knows how aggressive this type of cancer can be, and that it has a high propensity for metastasis, and so is aiming for surgery fairly soon. But due to the extent of
    the lesion, she will be undergoing surgery with several different specialties all at once, they will have to remove some of her cheek, teeth, gum, possibly tongue, possibly cheek/sinus bone and part of her palate, and this will require
    oral surgeons, dental surgeon, ENT, plastic surgeon or more. She may also have to have an autologous-free flap graft tissue from her thigh to replace the cheek tissue, perhaps a bone graft as well. She may also have to have a
    combination of chemo and radiation therapy. This is going to be a long and hard road for her. The stats are not great, the 2-5 year survival rate is only 53%, and there's a 33% recurrence rate, and the survival rate after
    recurrence is much worse.

So...this is what we've recently been dealing with and will be in the not too distant future. Once we have a firm surgery date, then I'll be taking time off for possibly a few weeks afterwards to care for her, and then I will have to take days off periodically to assist her with chemo/radiation treatments and such. Just wanted to get this out to everyone so you all will know what's happening and why I will be needing time off possibly with little pre-notice.

Curtis/TopCatgr
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Wow TC

I'm so sorry to read this. I can't even imagine the discomfort she must be going through on top of everything else

Many positives and prayers as y'all go on this difficult journey.
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

OUCH!! I'm really sorry to hear about your wife. I do know what you are going through, and all I can say is you both need to keep a positive attitude! Make SURE she understands that the odds are for other people, and she MUST stay as positive as possible.
      My son is a survivor, and he and I went through it just after a divorce, so yes, I do know what you two are facing.
      My thoughts are with you both!
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Prayers for both of you, T.C.!
        -- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Thoughts & prayers headed your way. Best wishes.
          79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
          79 SF parts bike.

Comment

As you may have guessed from my moniker, in addition to being a motorcyclist, I am also a pastor. My mother, also named Nancy, struggled for years with metastatic breast cancer. 28 years to be exact.

I will add my prayers those of others, keep us posted on this tough journey . . .

Art
            79 F

Comment

TC - I am so sorry to read that you and your wife have this to deal with. I can't even imagine how difficult it must be to hear a diagnosis like that, let alone having to sit and type the message you sent us.

Pray for the strength to remain positive, may you receive the best of the best in health care, and may the odds be on your side.

Brian
              '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
              '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
              '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Wishing you the best

Never met you TC, but still wishing the best for you and the Mrs. May the Lord shine his light upon her and get her strong and healthy.
                Mike in Sun Diego
                mike
                1982 xj1100 maxim
                1981 venture bagger
                1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                1959 wife

Comment

TC...My thoughts and prayers for you and Nancy...
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I certainly hope they caught this early enough in the cycle to effectively treat her and provide a cure Curtis. I wish her a speedy and safe recovery and I will keep both of you in my prayers.
                    79 SF & 80 LG MNS
                    73 & 74 RD 350's
                    73 Honda CL 450
                    Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

T.C.-- Many prayers being sent your way for Nancy's full recovery. A positive attitude can go a long way in regaining one's health. We're pullin' for ya.
                      79 F
                      Previously owned: (among others)
                      1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
                      1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
                      1973 Suzuki TM 125
                      1979 XS1100 F
                      2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
                      1991 BMW K75

Comment

SWMBO and I wish you and Nancy the best possible outcome...
                        Ken Talbot

Comment

I hope the best for Nancy and you, never give up.
                          76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                          80 XS650 G Special II
                          https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                          80 XS 1100 SG
                          81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                          https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                          AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Gentle thoughts to you and your wife, TC. God's blessings.
                            1995 KZ100P
                            Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
                            Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

May the Both of You be in the Arms of the Angels to help carry You through this challenging time. Praying for You & Your's TC , God Bless You Both
                              1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Working...
                              X