Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Acquisition - SPOOKY Event

XS11 Friends,
    The Bride & I picked up yet another XS11 on Saturday.

We made this a Saturday adventure and picked 'er up in Pensacola Florida.

SPOOKY VTX

In order to get the XS11 out of the garage I had to move a VTX which was blocking the exit path of the XS11. The VTX was in such bad condition I had a heck of a time getting it to roll enough to clear the way...

After moving the VTX the owner's widow explained that her husband was killed on it. "He went out for a ride and she never saw him alive again." He died on the table at the hospital. She's not real sure what exactly happened but he took a corner wide, apparently trying to avoid someone that had pulled out on him as described by a witness, and he was struck by on-coming traffic.

Although I've seen a couple wrecked up bikes, I kinda got "The Willies" knowing I just sat on and moved a bike a man was killed on.

I promised the widow I would help her advertise the VTX for sale so I took several pictures of it. I found that those guys have a big web-site too. I'm going to become a member to post up an advertisement there for her.

1979 Special:
    Apparently, the guy was trying to resurrect the SF. He had owned it since 1982 (according to the FL title). His widow explained that he loved the XS11 and drove it to work almost daily for much more than 20 years. He wouldn't part with it after getting his new VTX. The front calipers are missing and the man's son took a thorough look through his home workshop but couldn't find them. He thought his dad was starting to spend a little time working on his old bike.

It's pretty clear the XS11 hadn't been started in several years but the battery looks to be less than a year or two old. Yesterday, with very little effort, I managed to get the thing started and it sounds really good. The seat was completely shot so it's been tossed in the can. Although the paint on the tank is old & faded the inside looks like new. The frame is in nice shape and it came with a Florida Title too....

I sure wish I could resurrect this SF but it has a lot of broken and a few missing pieces. It's probably $2,000+ to get this thing into "Respectable" condition. Unfortunately, it's just not worth the investment.

Sure is a shame to turn this one it into a parts donor knowing a guy owned it since new (or almost new) and drove it for 20+ years. But, I have a hard enough time keeping all the other bikes active and running properly.

KURT
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Curiousity

How many miles on the SF?

Sad story about the VTX and the couple. The damage doesn't look that bad to be fatal.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Heavy Bike!

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
      How many miles on the SF?

Sad story about the VTX and the couple. The damage doesn't look that bad to be fatal.
      Mike,
      The SF has 62k on the ticker. The PO worked at NAS Pensacola very close to his home otherwise it might have a bunch more...... The PO was 70yrs old when killed on his VTX. The widow said they had to lift the bike off of him. One of his several injuries was a broken back..... I don't know how much the VTX weighs but it's certainly a couple hundred pounds more than the XS11. Heck that monster could break bones just falling off the kick-stand onto a 70year old guy.....
      Kurt
      Kurt Boehringer
      Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
      1978 - SR500 - Thumper
      1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
      1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
      1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
      1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
      1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
      1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max