Run for the Border . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run for the Border . . .

Well, it’s official. The countdown has begun. T-minus 8 and ½ days to departure. Launch preparations are progressing nicely.

The vacation is totally approved. The gear is finally all here. The bike has fresh oil, a new Avon front tire, a fairly new car tire (5000 mile Yokohama) on the back, new plugs, new air filter, new CB, new tunes, and is as ready as I can make her. My maps are packed. My credit cards are all charged up.

Life is good.

Leaving Dallas, Texas in the wee hours of Saturday the 19th for my trip to Alaska. Through a series of seriously long workweeks and a marginal amount of creative blackmail I don’t have to come back for 31 days.

31 days!

<thinking they’re gonna have to retrain me when I get back...assuming I remember where back is...>

Leg one is a hard run Saturday of about 1100 miles. Headed from Dallas to Onalaska, WI. Before anybody bothers to point out that just because "Onalaska" has the word “Alaska” in it doesn’t mean it actually is Alaska . . . I know this. This adds about 600 miles to my trip to Alaska …but promised somebody in Wisconsin dinner (waving frantically).

25 years of riding and I’ve yet to figure out what a straight line is.

Next I will head west . . . probably crossing into Canada in Montana, headed more or less for Fairbanks. I’ll take the high road out, and if road conditions merit I may try for Inuvik in the extreme northern Yukon Territory. I’ll probably head back through Washington. Not sure about that.

That . . . is the complete extent of my planning. Heck, I’ve got gas money, and I’ve got maps…and I’ve got 31 days. I expect to pull 10-12K miles on this trip.

Things remaining . . .
    -Rear drive oil change.
    -Clean the machine. She’s a mess due to all the riding in the rain I’ve been doing.
    -Install the electric tap for my vest/gloves. Don’t know if I’ll even need those, but I figured the electric vest and gloves took up less space than a bunch of winter riding gear. It can be cold in some of these places, especially some of the passes.

-I’m running to Louisiana this Saturday to visit friends…since I’ve changed packing methods (I’ve got a “T” bag now instead of all the duffels) I’ll probably pack the bike for the trip and see what shakes out…kind-of a dry run so to speak.

<tap tap tap tap tap>

T-Minus 8 and ¼ days and counting.

Sigh.

CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    http://lifeisaroad.com
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Dan, have a very safe and happy jouney. Should make for some wonderful tales. And, in the immortal words of the late Frank Zappa, "Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow"

Comment

SWMBO graduated from Onalska High School, though I better not mention the year. She lived at 904 North 4th. We were married in the area.

Nice views on I-90 going west up to about Nodine, MN, then landscape flattens out. Good rest area on the MN side right by the Mississippi.

Don't know where you are going to eat, but see if Walts is still there (in LaCrosse) down by the brewery. Always had a good reputation, a bit upscale.

Have a good trip!
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Hey Jerry!

I'll be headed through your area on the way back . . . on or about July 17,18,19 . . . about . . .

If you're going to be around, drop me a note with your address and phone numbers and I should be able to get by . . .
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer

Comment

Just remember, Daniel, if you find yourself on the Trans Canada hwy passing through Revelstoke BC, there's a spare bed with your name on it.....
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Hey Dan,

As long as you are swinging way out to Minnesota why not include us guys on the East Coast? Got some great Maryland Blue Crabs ready to steam.

Dave
            82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
            Riding with the Son

Comment

Hey Ken!

Drop me a line with some contact information . . . address/directions/phone . . . I am headed your way sometime during the trip and appreciate the offer!

Dave,

Don't think I am getting as far east as Maryland/Virginia this trip . . .

Maybe next year . . . (thinking a Nova Scotia run is in order one of these years . . .
              CUAgain,
              Daniel Meyer

Comment

Have a safe trip then. I grew up in Minnesota, Duluth to be exact. Remember to watch out for the wild life. Deer and moose abound and can be a huge traffic hazard.

My nephew just hit a deer with his bike, pedal type, coming down a hill. Put him in the hospital, and as he is a professional bike racer, out of the circuit for a while.

dave
                82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
                Riding with the Son

Comment

Check your PM, Daniel....
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

Hey Dan, I live just a couple of miles south of I-90. It should be pretty close to pm time for your scooter. I've got a garage and we can give er an oil change,you can also suck down a frosty and get some rest. plenty of food
                    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                    1-big XS patch
                    1-small XS/XJ patch
                    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X