Mueseum Piece on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mueseum Piece on ebay

A Midnight Special just apeared on ebay with 1 mile on it. Never sold or serviced. No gas in tank bla bla bla... Wonder what that will bring?? Personally, I'm happier with the 11,000mi one I got. If you paid a fortune for this one, you'd lose yer ass as soon as you dump gas in it. I'm not much for having stuff that I can't drive or ride.
    Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"
    2000 Heritage "Snow White"

... wonder what the reserve is....
    Ken Talbot

Comment

I'll bet the carbs still need to be cleaned. Yamaha didn't drain the carbs after test running them at the factory.

Geezer
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

It just broke 3 grand and hasn't hit the reserve yet. Makes me feel like I got a bargain Carbs...yeah...wonder how the spouge holes are??? I'm sure it came with brake fluid in it. I've seen this with the old car crowd. Everyone goes nuts over something that's basically been sitting around. You still end up doing the hydraulics and a bunch of other stuff from sitting. I see some Yamaha crates in the background. Must be a dealer and not much of an ebayer rateing at that.
        Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"

Comment

6 GRAND!! Here's the link in case any of you just has to have one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...481714143&rd=1
          Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"

Comment

If you want one bad enough, I'll bet it would be extremely tough to find a Midnight Special in this kind of cosmetic condition. I'm no expert, but I'd be willing to bet restoring all that gold and black can be extremely expensive if done correctly.

When I bought my new XS650 the dealer had one of the black '82 models on the floor. 21 years later, I'm glad I didn't buy it as it would have been I tough chore to keep it up. Thanks to available replacement parts, my '83 650 still looks nice today.

This NOS bike might still not be too bad a buy if that's what you really want.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Maybe I'm a sceptic but I'd have to see it. I gave 2 grand for mine from the original owner. Had some defects (nicks & scrathes) but is totally original never wrecked and was garaged it's entire life. The paint looked OK from 10 feet but was dull and cracked when you got up close. I think it must have been acrylic lacquer they used back then. The gold trim also has some very minor deteriation if you get up close (I need my glasses to see). Point is, unless this NOS one was stored in some kind of climate controlled cell, I'm sure the finish doesn't look like it did in 1980.

BTW, I'm a bodyman by trade so mine is in the process of getting new paint. All 2 component urethane stuff. It's in a lot of pieces right now. Rebuilding all the brakes, Stainless lines, new tires,carb kits, fork seals, new fuse box ect. One thing about the Midnight is so much of it is painted that for me it's actually cheaper to redo than say a bike with a lot of chrome. The only big problem seems to be the "black chrome" exhaust. Even this NOS one has stains on the exhaust!! And I got news for this guy, that ain't gonna polish off. I'm sure he tried already. Not to sound like sour grapes but I really do prefer to have mine all redone and upgraded than this time capsule deal. I really thought I paid too much but after seeing this, I'm feeling pretty good. If all goes well, I will have a new looking bike that's just broke in for a small fraction of what my HD cost. Now if I could just find someone to recoat the exhaust this winter.
              Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"

Comment

Don't you think it would make a good parts bike? I'd use it to keep what I got running.
                79 XS1100 SF & 1989 Venture Royal & 98 Valkrye
                It's not the speed that will get you it's the sudden stop.

Comment

parts bike

If you want to pay 6 grand for a parts bike ,i got some land for sale cheap....lol
                  1982 XJ 1100
                  going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                  now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Hey what did these things go for when new???

Steve
                    1980 XS100 SG Gone but not Forgotten really wish I could have kept it
                    1998 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder

Comment

US $6,852.50 (Reserve not met). And still climbing. I wonder what the reserve is?
                      There's always a way, figure it out.
                      78XS11E

Comment

Originally posted by pathfinder
                        US $6,852.50 (Reserve not met). And still climbing. I wonder what the reserve is?
                        I wonder how many old used ones I could get for that much money?

Geezer

Comment

I believe they sold for around $4200.00. Probably would have been better to put the money in the bank. Of course he could have done worse in the stock market
                          Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"

Comment

Looks like the guy has 10,000 or so on the reserve and is just watching to see how high the bidding will go. One way to get a value on something that is one of a kind.

Ralph Meeks
                            Ralph Meeks
                            79F
                            80SG

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Meeks
                              Looks like the guy has 10,000 or so on the reserve and is just watching to see how high the bidding will go. One way to get a value on something that is one of a kind.

Ralph Meeks
                              The problem with that one eBay is that there is often some joker that puts in a high bid on something with no intention of paying. Unless the sale is completed then the value has not really be astablished.

If this bike were a 78~9 standard I might be bothered by not having the money to bid but I can't stand the riding position of the special. I've even put a lot of standard parts on a special to get the Mongrel I ride but I would like to have a midnight engine in it. They should all have been black like the 750 triple.

Geezer

Comment

Working...
                              X