Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard exhaust

Greetings ,
    I am in the process of resurrecting a 78 standard and there is/was some kind of weird aftermarket set of slip ons on it that no longer slip off after much wrestling and finagling I decided to install an original factory set on it , My question and or dilemma is ..I am not sure if the removable head pipes # 2 and 3 are the same length and or bend on a special as on a standard ?
    Thanks in advance to minds more knowledgable than mine
    78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

The head pipes are indeed the same, however, the studs in your cylinder head will not be the same. And, it also depends on what year special, as the collar on later-model headers arshorter/longer (?) than early model ones.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmcguy View Post
      Greetings ,
      I am in the process of resurrecting a 78 standard and there is/was some kind of weird aftermarket set of slip ons on it that no longer slip off after much wrestling and finagling I decided to install an original factory set on it , My question and or dilemma is ..I am not sure if the removable head pipes # 2 and 3 are the same length and or bend on a special as on a standard ?
      Are those mufflers any good Joe? I'm looking for a set.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Thanks Ian , I was having a hard time getting #3 head pipe into y joint below engine ,didn't seem to be long enough , kind of hard to line everything up with only three hands ...lol Greg, if you are referring to the slip ons, I am not sure yet ...I cant get the right side separated yet and have buggered them a little bit ....I tend to think they are restrictive as the bike seems kind of doggish with them on and oil was drooling from the crossover at the rear (by back tire)it appears that they are not free flowing and might be collecting unburned oil and creating a fog bank behind me the bike they are/were on has been sitting a while so not yet sure of rings/valve guides I was going to flush them out but am not yet able to separate
        78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Greetings ,
          Same bend.......same pipe. Both Special and Standard used same head pipe. 78-80 Standard used same #1 and #4 header/collector. 79-81 Special and 81 Venturer had a bit shorter collector on end. In other words, slip-on won't work without a 2in. adaptor added first on 79-81 Special and 81 Venturer(Venturer used 80-81Special exhaust......complete)..........OOh!.....hi Joe.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hello Motoman

Thanks for the info Brant,I was able to put oem standard pipes back on with a bit of finagling ...Glad to see back here on channel 11 more often .

Comment

Just don't forget to get those bolts good-n-tite before ya ride it, Joe.

Hate to see you lose another exhaust...
              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Righty tighty "Right" ?

Hey Bob, I thought maybe if I turned "Right"most of the time it might tighten itself "RIGHT"?

Comment

Hey Bob, I thought maybe if I turned "Right"most of the time it might tighten itself "RIGHT"?
                  This inside joke is OLD..........but still funny
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Sorry, Phil...
                    Guess we have about milked that jersey dry, haven't we?

But... he started it!

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                      Sorry, Phil...
                      Guess we have about milked that jersey dry, haven't we?

But... he started it!
                      Hi Bob,
                      Mostly my post was for the newbies who will have no idea of the funny side of that. Although I was not "there" I followed along on the rally thread where that reference comes from.
                      There might still be the odd occasion when it can be brought out for a chuckle.
                      Phil
                      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                        Hi Bob,
                        Mostly my post was for the newbies who will have no idea of the funny side of that. Although I was not "there" I followed along on the rally thread where that reference comes from.
                        There might still be the odd occasion when it can be brought out for a chuckle.
                        Phil
                        Yes, I just wish I had that emoticon where the little smiley guy is beatin' a dead horse...

Hey! What did he expect when he calls up the out-of-state guy at a rally ride and asks what direction the group took at a particular intersection 'cause he was in the back of the group when his exhaust fell off and nobody noticed he was no longer with us, and describes the intersection to the out-of-state guy and makes it sound just like another intersection we went right at, when the one he wanted to know about, we actually went LEFT??

Clear as mud to me..................

Everybody now up to speed with the story?

See what can happen when you try to help a guy out?
                        Ya miss one little detail, and ya never live it down... Geesh!

BTW, dyslexia's a horrible disease...

I still say it was all Joe's fault...
                        When we met for the first time the day before and exchanged phone numbers, he forgot to ask me if I was "directionally challenged" or not!
                        Hehehe...

This year at the rally, we put Joe in the MIDDLE of the pack.
                        That way, when his bike broke down, (which it did...) we knew exactly where he was and he didn't get lost.
                        Problem solved.
                        Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 08-24-2016, 07:31 AM.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

I am not sure if the removable head pipes # 2 and 3 are the same length and or bend on a special as on a standard ?
                          The removable pipes MAY be the same, but the fixed are NOT. Standards use a different stud length at the head than the Specials, and the Special SYSTEM will NOT work on a Standard IF you try to keep the center stand.
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

LMAO

John
                            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Working...
                            X