Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank You Letter and Photos

To the members on the XS1100 website:

Thanks for all the informative information that help new members restore our motorcycles. I'm the original owner of a 1979 XS1100SF. I bought it brand new and rode it for about 10 years and through time I stopped riding it and put it away in my garage for almost 21 years. I finally had the sense to try and get it running, and through the internet found your website. I was able to follow all of your suggestions on how to best get it running again. I did the triple clean of the carburetors, rebuilt the brakes, changed all the fluids, adjusted the valves finally, and installed vision cam chain tensioner and new tires.

The people on your website are some of the nicest and most intelligent people that helped others like myself realize how nice these motorcycles actually are. After I got it running I was able to take a trip from Chicago to Kalamazoo, Michigan to an air museum with my brother on a rented 2015 Indian Chiefton. And the 1100 had no problems keeping up with the modern motorcycle. Again, I just want to say thanks, and I want to post some pictures of the bike of how it looks after your help.

Kind regards,

Mike W.

Pictures (please let me know if they need to be reuploaded and i will ask my daughter):

http://puu.sh/pHeIx/9873ca72ca.jpg

79 SF

Well played, Mike. Your bike is beautiful, congratulations on getting and keeping it so nice!. Most guys on this forum are experts at helping, and very patient with those of us who need their assistance. Welcome to the forum.
    79 F
    Previously owned: (among others)
    1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
    1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
    1973 Suzuki TM 125
    1979 XS1100 F
    2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
    1991 BMW K75

Comment

Mike:

It's a joy to see how well you preserved that bike all these years.

Glad you got it going so you can get a lot more great enjoyment from it.

Ride safely, we like having you around.
      -Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

79sf

Purdy !!!!! Very nice work !!!!!
        76 XS650 C ROADSTER
        80 XS650 G Special II
        https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
        80 XS 1100 SG
        81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
        https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
        AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Nice!!

Great job! And welcome!
          The bike looks awesome
          81 SH Something Special
          81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
          81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
          80 LG Black Magic
          78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
          For those on FB

Comment

Congrats!

I am surprised the Chieftain could keep up with The XS1100...
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Exactly Howard! These XS11s can scoot!!!

John
              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I'm glad you found the help here!
                As far as the Chieftain, it's NOT a Hardly Ableson! They WILL keep up with, and pass, an XS1100! The "new" Indian has a great engine. That MAY be one of my next bikes.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

No way is a Chieftain going to beat an XS1100, period.

Show me where the Chieftain will keep it's 850-ish lb chassis up with an XS1100 in a straight line when it runs mid-70's for hp at 4500 rpm. All the torque in the world (105 ft/lbs) doesn't make a difference. See below...

Cycle world test: Quarter mile was 13.2 sec at 98.46 mph. Top speed around 112 mph. The Chieftain beats my 1982 CX500 by a handful of mph in the 1/4 and by 7 mph top speed.

XS11... Well, we know where it got it's name from by doing the 1/4 mile in the high 11 second bracket, at a trap speed faster than the top speed of a Chieftain.

Not even close! Did a dealer tell you a pie in the sky story?
                  Last edited by Bonz; 07-07-2016, 06:17 PM.
                  Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Well done, Mike ...

You have a beauty there!

WELCOME to the XS Eleven obsession!
                    Marco

Current bikes:
                    1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                    1979 Honda CBX
                    2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                    WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Bonz, We don't have the gas out here we had in '78. The modern fuel for me has shown to drop a few seconds off the bike! I'm just saying that with fuel injection and all, the new Indian CAN keep up with the XS on California gas. But DO remember, we have the WORST CRAP for gas in the country!
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

That must be some real crap gas! That is saying the XS has lost over 15 mph off its 1/4 mile speed on CA gas.

I have a riding buddy with a new Chieftain, and it's quick off the line but the XS can run away from it pretty quick. Even on the best gas in magazine tests and with the best riders, per se, the Chieftain won't break 100 mph in the 1/4 mile.

I would take a normally tuned XS1100 any day of the week on that bet.

In any case, the Chieftain is a sweet ride, nice look and love the torque!
                        Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

For a little around town riding you could make your own ethanol free gas. I have for my lawn mower and throw it in the XS sometimes.

You take two 5 gal cans and fill one with 4.5 gal PREMIUM. (Important because we lose two octane points removing ethanol)
                          Try and get grocery store gas without extra additives. It's supposed to be cheaper.

Add .5 gal DISTILLED water. That's Pure, Clean H2O Waterboy.

Shake, shake and shake to thoroughly mix water and gas. Shake again and let sit.

Ethanol jumps right out of the gas and into the water where it settles after a good 30-45 minutes into a layer on bottom.

Now some folks use fancy clear tubing and inverted cans to drain off water-ethanol mix. I just carefully pour into a second 5 gal can through my big Mr Funnel that has a membrane to separate water from gas. I dont fully trust it so once i start seeing the mix get into the funnel I stop decanting directly into the big container and into a clear quart plastic jug. That way I can be sure the separated mix stays on bottom or in funnel.

Its only a tiny pain but I feel better putting it in my mower and generator knowing it will last months instead of weeks.

If I added Stabil it would be better but I am too cheap.

John
                          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Wow, nice bike! Good to know it is on the road again.

This community of lunatics helped me a great deal when I was wrenching on my first and second XS11 standard for which I am very grateful... you guys rock!
                            If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                            (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Working...
                            X