Big Fat Fluffy Seat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Fat Fluffy Seat?

I recently purchased a 1982 XJ1100 Maxim and have been hunting for a big fat seat for my overabundant butt. I am 6'5" and weigh about 350 if I eat a salad for lunch and would like a little larger surface area. If anyone knows of such an animal let me know. I tried Mustang and Corbin (I have one of these also) but my wife rarely rides with me and I really would like the seat positioned back a little.
    Thanks
    Txsbigfoot

Look at Russel Day-long. They have to build it on your pan, but it really costs no more than a Mustang or others.

Wayne had one for his XS standard and loved it.
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Have said it before...the XJ stock seat is terrible for anything over 75 - 100 miles. I put a Diamond seat on mine, they supply a new pan (fiberglass) and you have a choice of color inserts if you wish. Diamond seat is wider and has a more comfortable 'bucket' than stock.

Price (in 2000) was $425.00 and included a cover and shipping. I only paid $650.00 for the bike, so was very hesitant to spend that much on a seat, but it is worth every penny if you plan to take any long trips. Diamond will ask you some questions about weight, inseam, if you carry a passenger, and use a foam with the correct density for a semi-custom fit. It took my seat a couple hundred miles to break in.

Note: with the Diamond you have to swap the seat hold-down 'fingers' from the old to the new.

The Russell has an excellent reputation and I would have looked at them but they did not offer an XJ seat or custom seat option in 2000, started doing that a bit later. Price is more, in the $600.00 range, but have a reputation for comfort and durability second to none.

I've put together a HTML page that shows the differences in the XJ stock seat and the Diamond seat. go to:

XJ Diamond Seat
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Big Fat Fluffy Seat

Yall have been more than helpful. And I do appreciate the extra effort with the pics. Will check out both options. By the way have been through Rifle on the way to Dinosaur national park. And I see you have a LONG ride to get anywhere so I am sure you need a very comfortable seat. Where I live is on the Texas-Louisiana Gulf Coast and our biggest problem is skeeters and humidity. When I get more time I will give you the story of buying my bike, It will make you cry, laugh, and cringe.
        Thanks again.
        Mike
        Txsbigfoot

Comment

Welcome to the forum bigfoot. I look forward to ur story. I enjoy reading good stories.

Kevin
          "Watchout for the guy behind the guy in front of you"

1980 XS 1100 SG

Comment

I have to concur with the Day-Long recommendation. The SWMBO and I rode in to Day-Long's operation when they were in Santa Barbara, CA. She on her 77 XS650 and I on my XS750. They built her seat while we waited, but didn't have a pan for mine. They took pictures of me on the bike (I too, wanted to move back slightly) and measurements. We rode back home and all the way my wife kept telling me, "You're going to love your seat." Long story short: I sent in my pan and got my new seat. It was spectacular.

When I bought the 1100, the first thing I did was have the wife take a Polaroid of me on the bike and sent it and the seat off to Day-Long for a new saddle. (I always seem to buy bikes for which they didn't have a seat pan.)

I have had the bike 23 years, the seat still looks like new (15,000 miles). I'm a hundred pounds heavier now but the seat doesn't seem to mind. Maybe it could be a little wider, but maybe I could diet.

Buy a seat that you can ride on and on and on and on, on.

Ralph

Comment

Re: Big Fat Fluffy Seat?

Originally posted by Txsbigfoot
              I recently purchased a 1982 XJ1100 Maxim and have been hunting for a big fat seat for my overabundant butt. I am 6'5" and weigh about 350 if I eat a salad for lunch and would like a little larger surface area. If anyone knows of such an animal let me know. I tried Mustang and Corbin (I have one of these also) but my wife rarely rides with me and I really would like the seat positioned back a little.
              Thanks
              It sounds like we're built about the same. I have a tractor seat that I'm going to be welding seat parts onto from an old special seat. I'm hoping to still have a pasenger section when I'm done but I'm not counting on it.

Tony
              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
              X