No announcement yet.

Just wondering......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me personally, it comes down to no real desire to travel far on the bike. I enjoy the short distances from work and gf's house, etc. But, other than that, riding that long makes me too nervous. I attended the Lost Rally last year which was awesome. Planned-on attending XS-SE, but went down, and lost the morale to continue. Too much to worry about, etc. Yes, I know if the bike is mechanically sound, there should be no worries. But, it's just my thing. Not sure if I can make XS-SE this year due to budget, but I'll probably make a plan of attending more rallies in 2017. The bike is getting some mileage this year, and it feels great to ride it. I'm alternating between three bikes this year, so I grab a different bike each week.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

In the early days (bought the XJ in '99, major rides beginning in 2000) it was a matter of getting the XJ set up for more comfortable long distance rides. First rally was to Eureka Springs, AK from central Wisconsin, followed in 2001 to Colorado Springs, CO. Then in late 2001 I moved to Colorado and made several trips of over 1000 miles (California, Revlelstoke, BC, Olympia, WA) before I bought the Concourse in 2009. The XJ is getting tired and I have not gone through it to bring it back up to peak condition. It sits in my garage, awaiting attention.

The main issue for me was long distance riding comfort. I fitted the XJ with a custom seat, engine guards with extra foot pegs, mechanical cruise control, floorboards, and a full Vetter fairing and bags. With the XJ's adjustable handlebars set up one notch higher and 1 notch wider than stock and these enhancements the XJ was a very comfortable long-haul ride.

During the time (2000 - 2009) I had only 1 one on-the-road failure; coming back from Olympia I had trouble with the driveshaft splines finally wearing out and had to trailer the bike about half-way home. Note that I pulled a small trailer to most of these venues so my driveshaft wear was probably accelerated by the extra load.

It really is not a matter of the XS11's capability or reliability; the big question is the rider's desire to get out on the road for a long-haul trip. If you are up to it the bike is up to it as well.

For the record, my longest road trip, on the Concours, was 2014's trip to the rally held in Brockville, Ontario, Canada. Trip was about 5,200 miles total.
      Last edited by Jerry; 06-27-2016, 09:45 AM.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post

For the record, my longest road trip, on the Concours, was 2014's trip to the rally held in Brockville, Ontario, Canada. Trip was about 5,200 miles total.
        That was a good one Jerry and it was good to see you.
        I have no idea why I didn't look you up when I was out your way last year.

As to the thread, I ride the ST on trips due to it's reliability, comfort and baggage handling.
        Last edited by DeanR; 06-27-2016, 09:52 AM.
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

Working...
        X