Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catching up on a few things

Catching up:

It's been a while since I posted so I thought I'd catch up on what has and has not happened.

The first thing right off the bat -- I believe I've found out how dirt and sand got into Columbo's engine.

My little brother rolled up the hall and living room rugs to take them outside to shake and beat the dust and dirt out of them and as he walked by my bike in the garage, one end of a rolled up carpet caught on the edge of the front of the frame and some sand and dirt spilled out right about where the open cylinder holes in the crankcase would be if the engine was still in the bike. The sand and dirt pretty much matched what I found in the oil pan so I'm ninety-nine and three-sigma% sure it was not sabotage and there were no turkeys involved in any fowl play at the playground, I was just lucky. Whew!

Second -- Mom died.

Mom fell asleep just north of Escondido, California, and went off the freeway at ~70MPH into the center median. The car rolled three or four times and she broke her back. After a few trips and relatively short stays at several hospitals she wound up back in Simi Valley at the local hospital here to have surgery. Mom never really woke up after the surgery and she died a few days later.

On the bright side, Mom lived a full life. She was a school teacher and she taught several generations of children and she didn't die a slow and lingering death from cancer. On the not-so-bright side she's gone.

And for my birthday today I get to see an attorney about the flock of seagulls that want Mom's stuff: MINE! MINE! MINE!MINEMINE!MINE! MINE!

Finding Nemo: The Seagulls
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4BNbHBcnDI
    HD 1:35

-- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

So sorry to hear about your mom, and for the task you have before you made more difficult by selfish people. Take the time you need without feeling pressured by anyone.

Take care .

Brian
    '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
    '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
    '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Thank you, Brian.

About time to go.... (sigh)

-- Scott
      _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Glad you found out how the dirt got in. Sorry about your mom and I do understand how difficult it can be. I had a terrible ordeal when my mom passed away. There really was nothing to fight over still there was one and I spent my fair share of time in court about nonsense. Be careful how people play games its hard to believe how far they will go.
        To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
        1980 G Silverbird
        Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
        1198 Overbore kit
        Grizzly 660 ACCT
        Barnett Clutch Springs
        R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
        122.5 Main Jets
        ACCT Mod
        Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
        Antivibe Bar ends
        Rear trunk add-on
        http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

3 phase

Scott, so sorry to hear about your mom ,
          I know there are no words I can say to help you through this .
          Stay strong my friend, if you need anything feel free to let me know ,
          Happy birthday to you and I will miss seeing you at the rally this year
          78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Scott,

Very sad to hear of your Mom's passing ... my prayers go out to you.

It's incredible to see how many people come out of the woodwork when a loved one passes ... it's a shame you have to deal with something like that.

Let us know if there is any way we can help ...
            Last edited by Prisoner6; 06-16-2016, 05:21 PM.
            Marco

Current bikes:
            1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
            1979 Honda CBX
            2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
            WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Scott,
              So sorry hearing this about your mom.
              Totally understand how some folks loose their minds over "stuff" when a loved one passes. I've witnessed it myself, firsthand...unfortunately.

If you need a friend, and an ear, call me, Scott.
              Number's still the same, but pm me if you need it again.
              Prayin' for ya, bro. Like Joe said... stay strong, and we're here for ya.

Glad you figured out the "dirty mystery" and it was accidental.
              Bob
              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Life rolls on....

Glad to hear you are still kickin and glad to hear your Mom had a good life, she sounds like a great Mom and make her proud and take the high road in the family stuff. Been there.
                Columbo is a mainstay in the XS crew and hoping it sees the road again. We have a few of us heading out to the Colorado rally, Roo, a couple buddies from San Diego,,Me, and I have an extra Xs 1100 bike if you feel the need to ride out to the Rally also, and Roo has his backbreaker Bobber. It might be a good stress relief from Life as you know it........Oh yeah,,,,HAPPPY BIRTHDAY SCOTT
                thanks again for working on the XJ,,,valves, clutch, misc...... Mike in SUn Diego
                mike
                1982 xj1100 maxim
                1981 venture bagger
                1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                1959 wife

Comment

Scott: Sorry to hear of your Mom's passing. Never easy to deal with, including the follow-on estate settlement. Hope you get through it OK.

Also hope Columbo sees pavement rolling under its wheels again. Good luck!
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Wow! So sorry Scott. Prayers for you and your family. Just remember in the end it's all just "stuff" and isn't worth fighting over.

John
                    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Hey Scott,

Sorry to hear about your mom, but like you said, she didn't suffer a long illness. Estate stuff sounds like a bummer, glad I'm an only child in that regard for when my mom eventually goes....she's 89 now. Take care of yourself and Columbo.

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thank you, everyone, for the prayers and good vibes!

Mike, I may take you up on borrowing an XS to go to the rally. I might be able to get Columbo's engine back together but the motivation isn't there right now. There are so many silly problems that shouldn't even be problems that I need to get out of Dodge for a while and Colorado sounds fun!

Naturally, when I got back from the attorney's office back on my birthday my trusty old keyboard died. I bought another keyboard and after I installed it and made sure it was working, Windows decided to do the June updates.

Window crashed so hard after the reboot that even the built-in Windows 10 Reset didn't work. Since Windows had just updated itself from Version 1511 - OS Build 10586.318 to Build 10586.420 ( 420!? ) the repair DVD that Windows had me create for situations like that decided that none of the system image backups were from this machine and it balked.

I decided not to f.fight with it and did a clean install to get rid of any cruft left over from the various moves from Windows 98 to XP, Windows 7, then Windows 10.

Several days later --

-- Scott
                        _____

Comment

Checkin in with 3Phase

Scott, Sounds good for you to stretch your legs and mind for a ride out to Colorado. The extra xs11, 1981 venture is yours for the ride, I will give you a call tomorrow, as my hometown Cleveland just won the NBA finals tonite,,,finally........so far Roo, me, my buddy Steve a Harley dude, and you if you can make it can head out for the rally to Colorado. Talk to you,,,,,,,,Mike in Sun Diego
                          mike
                          1982 xj1100 maxim
                          1981 venture bagger
                          1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                          1959 wife

Comment

Scotty, thanks for posting up and sharing. It'd be great to have you out here in less than a month. Who's gonna do the high-speed fly-by's to seat the rings and fog the insectia when rolling out if you aren't here! Well, Mike's XS probably won't give the visual display, but the fly-by's are cool...

The rally is shaping up nicely, if you join Mike's "Cadre of Compadre's" it'll be 17 bikes at this point in time.

Let me know if you have any questions about the campsite or otherwise. The offer stands to use the 80SG and Joe has put forth his bikes as well if you decide to fly.
                            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

My Doctor says I'm good to go

Bonz, it's a multi-split decision at this point.

I had to wait for Monday when businesses are open to check some prices and travel options. Calling the Echo Canyon folks is next on the list.

I am totally gobsmacked with your offer with your '81! I have to try to call Joe after I post too.

I checked flights and round-trip LAX / DEN is only about two-hundred Samolians. That is so tempting.

Mike has a Venturer

I may get as complete engine for Columbo

I may get the original engine back together in time to make some dogfood money off the State of Colorado for fogging skeeters

The last time I started to work on Columbo's engine one of the #2 exhaust studs broke off like a cheap off-brand cheese and I almost pitched the head out the garage door. I changed my mind and started soaking it with some secret transmission fluid bolt-loosening mixture to see if it'll come loose because that's the only good '78/'79 head I have left. I still have few of the '80 heads but they don't work right with the early pistons.

-- Scott
                              _____

Comment

Working...
                              X