Emgo universal coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emgo universal coils

Could someone shoot me pictures of how to wire up after market coils like the dynatek or the emgo?
    I have new wiring enroute and need to get these babies installed. They are the dual feed just like dynatek and at 2.45 ohms

Any help would be great!
    Ego Sum Meus Frater Custodis...

After market coils

Could someone shoot me pics or directions on how to update coils from stock to the 2.45 to 3 ohm two post coils. I have new stuff coming and am concerned to get it right

Comment

You might have problems and end up killing your TCI with 2.45 ohm coils. Our bikes need 3 ohm coils. The early bikes use 1.5 ohm coils with a 1.5 ohm in line resistor and the later ones use 3 ohms without any resistor. You can always go higher in resistance in this case but going lower is a good way to fry the TCI.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

You might have problems and end up killing your TCI with 2.45 ohm coils. Our bikes need 3 ohm coils. The early bikes use 1.5 ohm coils with a 1.5 ohm in line resistor and the later ones use 3 ohms without any resistor. You can always go higher in resistance in this case but going lower is a good way to fry the TCI.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Coils

So do you recommend the dynatek DC-1 3 ohm coil?

Comment

Yes, Dyna DC 1-1 3 ohm coils is what most here use. They are 3 ohm and high quality.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Hey there Barry,

Follow this link for the HOW TO with photos.

This first one is the OLD tech tip showing the 1.5 ohm coils, just ignore that point.
              http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4868

This one is what I posted years ago before we learned that the MikesXS high output coils were "JUNK", but may also provide info you may find useful? BTW, I switched out the MikesXS for the DynaTek ones as well! Kept the same wires, caps, just changed the coil connectors of the high tension leads.

http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-t...l-upgrade.html

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Ps,

Just found your other thread, merged them together!

IF you've already gotten the 2.45 Ohm coils, you could possibly put a 0.5 ohm resistors in line AFTER the coils....to still get the ~3ohms resistance level being in series, but placing it after the coil on the ground/negative side may still get you the 12Volts to the coils so you don't loose spark energy vs. having the resistor BEFORE the coil on the 12+ side.

I'm not an electrical guru, perhaps one of them can chime in and confirm or refute my idea as whether it will work or not??

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham

Comment

Mikes Xs coils

I think I am going to do the dynatek coils. I got the old post with pics but being anal I need specific instruction like what wires go where?
                  Sorry to be "that" guy lol

Comment

Not exactly

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                    IF you've already gotten the 2.45 Ohm coils, you could possibly put a 0.5 ohm resistors in line AFTER the coils....to still get the ~3ohms resistance level being in series, but placing it after the coil on the ground/negative side may still get you the 12Volts to the coils so you don't loose spark energy vs. having the resistor BEFORE the coil on the 12+ side.

I'm not an electrical guru, perhaps one of them can chime in and confirm or refute my idea as whether it will work or not??

T.C.
                    Sorry T.C.- I have to take exception.

The voltage drop (and the power) will be divided proportionately to the resistance of the resistor and the coil, regardless of the order of the wiring.

A 2.5 Ohm coil in series will a 0.5 Ohm resister will get (2.5 Ohm)[12V/(3 Ohms]2 = 40 Watts

A 3 Ohm coil will get (12V)2/(3 Ohms) = 48 Watts
                    -Mike
                    _________
                    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

what wires go where?
                      The red/wht go to the (+) terminal on the coils, the orange wire goes to the (-) left 1+4 coil, the gray goes to the (-) right 2+3 coil.
                      Last edited by bikerphil; 06-15-2016, 12:27 PM.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hey Mike,

Thanks for correcting that, I'm not very proficient with Ohm's Law and such!

Barry, okay, the DynaTek are a good choice.

As Phil stated, but with the DynaTek, they are NOT polarity sensitive, so you can connect the wires to either post on the coils, and they will still work!

The wiring harness should keep things in proper order, just keep track of which plug and it's color wire you take off of which coil....Left or Right, and which cylinders that coil feeds, 1-4 or 2-3. Then when you replace them, just put the harness connector to the same side, and run the plug wires to the same pair of cylinders, and you should be good to go!

T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham

Comment

Working...
                        X