Repainting the XJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repainting the XJ

A few months ago I started rebuilding an XJ1100 for my daughter. she was giving me back the LG I did for her and she is going to take the XJ. I painted the tank;

Fixed the second gear (it started to slip again so I may have put the wrong set back in. )
    Painted the engine and got it registered.
    I have been riding it this last week and everything is working great! I filled the fuel tank up two days ago and came home from work to see this...

I made the mistake of painting the top of the fuel filler spout instead of leaving it bare metal. So as the fuel expanded from the heat it was able to get under the paint and cause it to bubble. Granted if I would have used Automotive paint (and all the same brand) this might not have happened. Out of the 6 tanks I have painted this is the first one that has done this to me.
    Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
    80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
    82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

It happens

Pull it, strip it and blow on new paint.

Might I recommend an epoxy primer as well as a good epoxy paint?
    79 SF & 80 LG MNS
    73 & 74 RD 350's
    73 Honda CL 450
    Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

Happened to Greg too. I'll just cut right to the chase, and recommend the 2K Urethane Clear. Stuff is tough as nails!
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I did use the 2K Urethane... the clear coat separated from the color paint because the gas was able to get under it. Basically I didn't put the clear coat on correctly.
        Ty

Comment

Worked on my Wife's tank

While I was stripping my daughter's tank I decided to do my wife's tank also. It had a couple of dents that need to come out. So I stripped both tanks and premiered them then worked on my wife's tank. She picked emerald green.

I asked her if she wanted anything else on it...she wanted a wolf...coming out of or part of the mist. So I tried my hand at airbrushing again. I hope she likes it.

I still need to do the 2 part finish coat but I'm going to let this dry a day or so then wet sand it first.
          Ty

Comment

Looks great!
            82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
            Website/Blog

Comment

Put the tank on my wife's bike. It's not perfect but does not look bad.

I still need to finish the tank for my daughter's bike but that might be waiting until after the rally.
              Ty

Comment

Originally posted by tcoop View Post
                Put the tank on my wife's bike. It's not perfect but does not look bad.

I still need to finish the tank for my daughter's bike but that might be waiting until after the rally.
                Hi tcoop,
                That looks great. Good work.
                Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Thanks!

Once I get more practice (another 50 tanks or so) I might be able to get some one to pay me...ok back to reality I just have fun painting the tanks but I am too impatient to do it professionally. (I suck at the prep work )
                  Ty

Comment

Hey Tcoop,

I'm a bit late, but wanted to also comment on how GREAT that tank looks! I "had" visions of some special custom airbrushing type work for my tank......I invisioned a scene of Godzilla crushing H-D's and Sportbikes and such! There's an Airbrush artist at the local MALL, but he was talking THOUSANDS of $$ for such type of work ...so I have abandoned that for a more simpler paint scheme, perhaps with a STICKER or two!

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                    X