Holy Smokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Smokes

I recently had a bit of a drag race with a close buddy that has an old 89 venture Royale... maybe several drags. Each time he pulled away pretty hard and was bummed out. I felt that something just isn't right. Then suddenly while driving for about 15 minutes on the highway I get this real bad misfire. At least I assumed a misfire. After parking a few minutes it was great again. Til the next day and it did again. Ran the ****s after being on the highway for about 15 minutes then was great again after being parked for only a couple minutes. It would go all day if I just putted around town. Funny thing was I went an extra 40 kms on the tank of gas than I normally do. I started thinking maybe my miss is not a miss. Maybe it's running out of fuel. Sooo today I got motivated and started checking things out. First thing I did was adjust the timing chain and while the cover was off I checked the ignition timing. Both vacuum advance and mechanical advance are spot on. Then I noticed the fuel petcocks were swapped from side to side. I put them where they belong and redid the fuel lines while I was there. I pulled the air box and checked the operation of the barrel in each carb. Two were the ****s. I pulled the tops off those two and noticed that a po must have been tinkering. First clue was the mangled heads of the screws. Then it was the way the diaphragms were installed incorrectly. One 180 degress out and the other was sort if pinched. I checked for holes using a flashlight with the lights out. I reinstalled them correctly and tested them again. The operated much better. They came down much slower and you could hear the air being moved through the ports. I put it all back together and took it for a cruise. Holy smokes!! What a difference. Way more power than before. It made me smile huge.
    81 LH
Working...
X