Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for rear shock replacements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone!

Thank you very much for the replies regarding shock replacements. I now have an idea of where to start my search.
    T.
    81 MNS

Comment

I just put on a pristine pair of almost new Showa's this weekend. They are great. The best part of this was that they came with the bag of bushings and sleeves so I was able to fit them on the bike perfectly. I had to loosen the right side footpeg and muffler just a bit to get the bolt out, but with a little work, and a 2X2 under the rear tire, it went right on.

They ride great. Noticeable difference over the stock. AND with my MikesXS emulator and progressive springs on the front, (and TKAT fork brace), it's like a different bike.

Oh, and putting the right amount of air in the tires helped!
      Steve R

'80 SG
      "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
      1978 XS400E Red
      1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

Originally posted by Bergman16 View Post
        AND with my MikesXS emulator and progressive springs on the front, (and TKAT fork brace), it's like a different bike.
        It's pretty much impossible to tune emulators with progressive springs. It's a mix of technologies that don't work together. You may find an improvement over what you had, but trust me, you've left a lot of room for improvement there.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Interesting, thanks. I will drop in the stock springs and see what I think, then. I'm mostly really happy with the front not diving on braking, which I attribute to the emulators. But this is all pretty new to me. It seems do much smoother on small road irregularities as well.
          Steve R

'80 SG
          "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
          1978 XS400E Red

Comment

Originally posted by Bergman16 View Post
            Interesting, thanks. I will drop in the stock springs and see what I think, then. I'm mostly really happy with the front not diving on braking, which I attribute to the emulators. But this is all pretty new to me. It seems do much smoother on small road irregularities as well.
            The stock springs are progressive as well. At least, that's what I believe based on what was in my bikes. You can still soak up bumps nicely with straight rate springs, you just have to pick the right ones. A reputable dealer will do that for you. I have experience with two of them.

www.traxxion.com
            www.racetech.com

I assume you've already ruined the damper rods? They should have six holes in each of them. Lots of folks make the mistake of mixing the technologies. The results are never stellar. Mike's XS certainly isn't giving any tuning info with theirs. I suspect they haven't a clue.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

I have two nice sets of forks, so I think I'll set up the spare with the stock tubes and the progressive springs (which I'd had lying around), and the mounted set with the emulators and stock springs--which don't seem to be progressive, the winding is the same all the way through.

I have to admit that I am a new beginner rider (Coming back to it after 30 years), so I think I'd have to have a lot more experience on the bike to get enough of a feel to 'tune' them. Baby steps. I am spending a lot of time practicing countersteering and proper leaning. Have an instructor lined up next month to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

56 years old, working in politics in NY so more ambition than I have time. If I make it to the rally this year I hope to learn a lot.
              Steve R

'80 SG

Former bikes:

1978 XS400E Red

Comment

Working...
              X