Weird stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird stuff

Today riding home from work.....the bike hadn't run all day, I rode to work this morning and got there about 7:15 AM. When I got on and started it to go home at about 4:45 PM it acted like it had flooded a little during the day and sputtered a bit until it cleared.

It's right at 16 miles from home to work.

Rode it almost all the way home, about 14 miles with no problems. Partially in city traffic but mostly highway. At my exit off the highway it started popping through the exhaust on decal like it was running out of fuel but my low fuel light wasn't on and there was only about 70 miles on the trip odometer (my fuel guage) and I go about 100 miles before I'm watching for the fuel light to come on normally.

I clutched it and it died. Turned the petcocks to reserve and it fired right up and I came home.

Thinking I was out fuel for whatever reason, I stopped at the gas station on the way to the grocery store to fill it up. My special tank holds about 3.9 gallons when it's bone dry.......it only took about 2.5 gallons.

Not sure what happened but it seems to be running perfectly now.

Anyone else ever experienced that? What would cause something like that?
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Maybe?

Maybe a bad vacuum line to the petcocks so the gas flow is off? Just guessing......or really plugged inside tank filter screens? Hope it only happens once....Mike in Sun Diego
    mike
    1982 xj1100 maxim
    1981 venture bagger
    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
    1959 wife

Comment

No vacuum petcocks on a Special and the octy has been deleted for many years now.

If a screen is blocked it would have to be both of them because the lines are T'd together.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Hey Greg,

Well, the most common problems have already been eliminated by no octy and the gravity feed petcocks. That leaves a possible air lock in the in line filters, OR...when was the last time you checked the gas cap vent??? It might have gotten gummed up and you developed the dreaded vac. lock in the tank once it got just so low! JAT!?

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
          Hey Greg,

Well, the most common problems have already been eliminated by no octy and the gravity feed petcocks. That leaves a possible air lock in the in line filters, OR...when was the last time you checked the gas cap vent??? It might have gotten gummed up and you developed the dreaded vac. lock in the tank once it got just so low! JAT!?

T.C.
          Hmmm......that doesn't add up either since the on and reserve share the same line and as I stated, they are T'd together.
          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            Today riding home from work.....the bike hadn't run all day, I rode to work this morning and got there about 7:15 AM. When I got on and started it to go home at about 4:45 PM it acted like it had flooded a little during the day and sputtered a bit until it cleared.

It's right at 16 miles from home to work.

Rode it almost all the way home, about 14 miles with no problems. Partially in city traffic but mostly highway. At my exit off the highway it started popping through the exhaust on decal like it was running out of fuel but my low fuel light wasn't on and there was only about 70 miles on the trip odometer (my fuel guage) and I go about 100 miles before I'm watching for the fuel light to come on normally.

I clutched it and it died. Turned the petcocks to reserve and it fired right up and I came home.

Thinking I was out fuel for whatever reason, I stopped at the gas station on the way to the grocery store to fill it up. My special tank holds about 3.9 gallons when it's bone dry.......it only took about 2.5 gallons.

Not sure what happened but it seems to be running perfectly now.

Anyone else ever experienced that? What would cause something like that?
            Well Greg, know you ain't gonna' like this, but here goes: Had an almost identical thing happen with my Venturer some 5yrs. ago. Then it just run fine again.....actually for a period of time after that incident.....until a much later date. The decel you spoke of kinda gave me a clue as to what possibly happened. The vacuum advance returning to its stationary position could of caused one of the pick-up wires to break contact internally, and then melt a couple of the internal wires back together from heat resistance, making a connection again upon rotation of the vacuum advance assembly........for a period of time running fine, riding again. That was the case with mine......till the next time and then found the white wire internally had come apart again and just stayed that way. JAT and worth pulling that cover and tugging every inch of those wires using both hands while looking for a stretched insulaton spot, specially since you are planning on a LD ride later this summer. Actually, second time my Venturer did that, a hellof a backfire came from that stock exhaust while on I-70 at speed! Other than that, I'll guess with ya'.
            Last edited by motoman; 04-22-2016, 07:49 PM.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hi Greg,
              Have you recently changed to that new fangled Synthetic Oil
              That stuff does weird things to these old machines.

Just messing with you
              Sorry no useful ideas.
              Phil
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                Well Greg, know you ain't gonna' like this, but here goes: Had an almost identical thing happen with my Venturer some 5yrs. ago. Then it just run fine again.....actually for a period of time after that incident.....until a much later date. The decel you spoke of kinda gave me a clue as to what possibly happened. The vacuum advance returning to its stationary position could of caused one of the pick-up wires to break contact internally, and then melt a couple of the internal wires back together from heat resistance, making a connection again upon rotation of the vacuum advance assembly........for a period of time running fine, riding again. That was the case with mine......till the next time and then found the white wire internally had come apart again and just stayed that way. JAT and worth pulling that cover and tugging every inch of those wires using both hands while looking for a stretched insulaton spot, specially since you are planning on a LD ride later this summer. Actually, second time my Venturer did that, a hellof a backfire came from that stock exhaust while on I-70 at speed! Other than that, I'll guess with ya'.
                Ha ha ha ha...even a flat tire is electrical to you Brant.

Just put that set of pick ups in there last fall when the mufflers were having an electrical problem.

Pretty sure this was a fuel issue. Possibly caused by the full green moon.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                  Hi Greg,
                  Have you recently changed to that new fangled Synthetic Oil
                  That stuff does weird things to these old machines.

Just messing with you
                  Sorry no useful ideas.
                  Phil
                  I'm blaming it on the moon......LUNACY!!!!!
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    Ha ha ha ha...even a flat tire is electrical to you Brant.

Just put that set of pick ups in there last fall when the mufflers were having an electrical problem.

Pretty sure this was a fuel issue. Possibly caused by the full green moon.
                    Hmmmm.......may wait for a blue moon as that may help the already teeny wires consisting of low lotage/low resistance........just don't have a flat.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

This happened quite a bit on my bike. Plenty of fuel, but for some reason I've never figured out, it would run out on one or the other bank of carbs. I could feel it start to lose power, so I'd have to twist the petcock to another position, usually reserve, let it catch again, then spin it back and all was good. The problem is trying to figure out which side it's happening to while you're running on two cylinders usually in traffic. It didn't do it every tank full, so no ideas why.

I always figured I'd clean the petcocks up at some point. Seems I have the time now. lol.
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

This was BOTH sides. Running down the highway it as fine but as soon as I started to decel for the ramp it started popping from both sides and when I clutched it, it just quit.

I've had this happen once or twice before but that was when I still had the octy. It's been quite a while since though.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Something similar happened to me once, turned out to be a stuck float. The bowl would fill up and flood out the engine. Switching the petcock around interrupted the flow enough to allow the fuel in the bowl to be consumed and it ran fine for a few miles then it would fill up again and bog down and die.

Just a thought.
                          Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                          The Green Monster
                          K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                          Got him in '04.
                          bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                          Scarlet
                          K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                          Got her in '11
                          Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                          Hugo
                          Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                          Cold weather ride

Comment

Greg, I had exactly the same problem some time ago with my SF.
                            Turned out to be the fuel tank cap vent. I asked the nearly identical question of why, on the Aussie forum. Check the reply I got, which explains the "why" simply

[IMG][/IMG]

It fixed my problem immediately, and it hasn't happened since.
                            79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
                            Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                            *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
                            *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Greg
                              You say all four carbs so it has to be something common to all 4. If you have your lines tied together it could be an air bubble trapped as I have had that issue before with a filter but only on one group of carbs for me as mine are separated. The only thing I could see is the vent in the tank as far as fuel goes. If it was electrical it would need to be supply of voltage to the coils or bad connection to the ignition. The only reason I even think it could be electronics is you say it sounded flooded and its very doubtful all carbs had a float problem at the same time but an ignition problem would act the same]after it starts to fire.
                              To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                              1980 G Silverbird
                              Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                              1198 Overbore kit
                              Grizzly 660 ACCT
                              Barnett Clutch Springs
                              R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                              122.5 Main Jets
                              ACCT Mod
                              Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                              Antivibe Bar ends
                              Rear trunk add-on
                              http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Working...
                              X