Auto Fender Fender: Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Fender Fender: Need Advice

Got into an accident on Saturday in my gf's car. Trooper did not issue a ticket, as he could not determine who had the proper light.

Driver's side left is caved-in. Driveable. Looking at it, it appears all parts damaged are bolt-on:

Fender
    Bumper cover
    Hood
    Headlight

The issue:

Deductible is $500. The car is used (2003 Buick LeSabre), but is not paid-off (full coverage). The damage if I were to guess is well over a thousand bucks, a couple hundred to me in parts from the right salvage yard.

So, should I see how much I can fix it for myself, or should I risk filing a claim, and have them possibly declare the vehicle wrecked, which I can't afford? The damage MUST be fixed. She will not ride around in a damaged car.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

if the insurance company totals it...dont they pay it off? whats the point of having insurance if it doesnt cover you?
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

13 year old car you could probably find parts that are even the same color or even an entire parts car the same color for pretty cheap.

Get an estimate and get paid. You'll probably have money left over when you get done fixing it yourself. The estimate will most likely be higher than you think. I got $1000 for a messed up rear bumper on my 97 Blazer.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Greg- I'm a little naive' to the process, as I've never been in an accident before. How does the process go? The car is on her parent's insurance, and she just totaled her last car last year, along with her dad getting into a good accident last year. I know their rates just went up.

How does it work? I offered to pay the $500 deductible, since I was driving. When you say "get an estimate", what do you mean? Take if to a body shop? If you don't mind, give me a run down.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Yes. You need to take it to a body shop, maybe 2 or 3, and get an estimate of repairs to turn into the insurance company.

They will most likely pay the lowest estimate minus the deductable.

Insurance rates going up for her is a given. Any accident or traffic citation will do that automatically.

My insurance (liability) on my car nearly doubled because I got a speeding ticket. ONE ticket in nearly 20 years. The insurance business is a total scam that the government FORCES you to participate in. That's why you should get as much as you can from them.

IMHO
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

In Michigan, it if is considered totaled, the insurance company will let you buy the car from them. When I wrecked my truck, they offered me $1800 for the truck, but offered it back to me for $500. So I got a check for $1300 and fixed the truck.
            1979 XS1100SF with a Jardine 4 into 1, ZRX 1200 carbs, 82 XJ rear air shocks, ACCT
            SOLD - 1980 XS1100SG with a Mac 4 into 1, ZRX 1200 carbs, round 160 speedo, 82 XJ rear air shocks, ACCT

Comment

Originally posted by vanimal5k View Post
              In Michigan, it if is considered totaled, the insurance company will let you buy the car from them. When I wrecked my truck, they offered me $1800 for the truck, but offered it back to me for $500. So I got a check for $1300 and fixed the truck.
              Offering it back to you(was still yours anyways till you made the decision) for the $500 was salvage cost of being considered totaled, which was deducted from the $1800 for you deciding to keep the truck.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Being a '03 and the damage you described, my hunch is the insurance company will total it. Check low retail/trade in on sites like Kelly Blue Book and NADA used car guide. Insurance companies use there own way of figuring out the value of a car and there amount rarely matches the real world value. IF they are all bolt on parts, I would bypass a claim and round up the parts and replace them. If you cant find the parts in a salvage yard, there are lots of place on line to buy the pieces you need. Its up to you, but some of the Chinese knock off parts usually will work just fine. I had a guy back into the front of my ancient Chevy Cavalier. Bent the hood, crushed the grill and scraped up the bumper. He didn't want to get his insurance involved so he paid me $1100 (I only paid $800 for it) for the damage based on dealer prices on new parts. Hood was around $400, grille $180, bumper cover around $250. I got a Chinese knock off grille for $60, banged the hood as straight as I could them bought a bra for the front for $60. The bra covered the banged up bumper cover and crinkled hood just fine. I pocketed the rest of the money. Bolt on your new/used parts, get a paint job and drive on!
                When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Heard of a weird thing here in texas. If you don't think you will get value of the vehicle you can ask them to replace with a comp. You pay insurance to make you whole after these incidents.
                  81 LH in process
                  09 vstar 1300
                  only allowed 2

Comment

If you think "She is the ONE" then pony up to have the whole thing fixed and pay for it yourself even if you take a personal loan. Don't let it affect her parents insurance.

If she is just your GF and not serious, you should do the same thing. You were driving, pony up

I bet you can find parts already same color and minimize painting.

John
                    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Yeah, I'm trying to find the parts. I know for a fact that insurance will scrap the car.
                      1979 XS1100F

Comment

I the person that you were in the accident with files a clam, it may end up on her parents insurance anyway. Some state laws determine when a car is considered totaled. Here in Utah if the repairs are 75% of the value of the car it gets totaled. If it does get totaled and you buy it back form the insurance company it will most likely have a Salvaged title and some insurance companies will not put full coverage on it, liability only.
                        Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                        80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                        82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                        82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                        82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                        72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                        72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Working...
                        X