Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comfortable Seat & Uncomfortable Seat

XS Folks,

I did a bit of riding today and plan to do a whole lot more. I have two SG's. One has a very comfortable "TRAVELCADE" seat cover the other has an unknown (apparently aftermarket) seat cover that is rather stiff and not nearly as comfy.

There may also be some differences in the foam but I suspect the major difference is the very stiff covering itself. I want to try a new padded cover or something to get a better feel to the non-comfy seat. It's amazing how two bikes can "FEEL" so different because of the seats. I don't feel as "in control" of the bike with the non-comfy seat as it is just not as easy to hold my buns in the saddle.

I did a search for TRAVELCADE on Evil-Bay and Amazon. I assume this is a brand that is gone as I didn't get any hits on this?

There are a couple items offered on the low-end of the spectrum that may be of very questionable quality. I'm also not interested in the very upper end (i.e. $$$$$$$) of the spectrum either.

Any experience with aftermarket covers you could share? Brands to avoid? Quality Issues? Etc.

Thanks,
    KURT
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Some of us that do quite a bit of LD rides have had good results from just these seat pads. they strap down over your original, add about an inch of foam padding, breath pretty well, and protect the seat cover from wear.

The best part is they only cost about $20 and last about a year, for me anyway.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-AT...ector/16777864

Here's how it looks on the bike, mine is kinda faded and worn. I need anew one.

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Hey Kurt,

The lower portion of your photo looks like an OEM and actually looks like the flatter profile of the 79 special seat. The upper one looks more bucket style similar to the 81 model.

Back in 2000 when I did my rebuild of my 81SH, I got a replacement "TRAVELCADE" seat/pan/double bucket from JC Whitney to replace my old rusted out/rotted OEM seat/pan. It's been okay, but the bucket keeps me wedged up against the tank more. The bucket design does keep me better planted in the seat though for more secure/stable riding position when running twisties and such, but the rubber did seem a bit stiff, and really hasn't softened up much over the years. For LDR's I've used a full sized real sheep skin that I acquired for both cushion and beathability.

I can't talk from experience about other brands of recover kits? I understand the budget thing and so brands like Sargeant may be too $$. Aside from eBay, you might find something on JCW? as well as Partsnmore or MikesXS, BikeBandit, etc.!??

You might also find a local upholstery shop that could do a bike seat??

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi Kurt, check out this link :

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

He uses a material called Supracore integrated into the padding that I am anxious to try.

As soon as I can get a pic of wifey and I on the 80G in our normal riding positions I'll be sending one of my seats for modification.

Price is nice also and there are a lot of reviews on other forums
        1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
        1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
        1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
        1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
        1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

I've used Spencers for my ST1100s...he will not work on bike this old though...
          keep in mind that a seat cover itself isnt the only part of the equation...the seat foam plays a more significant role...old foam will break down...also how the foam is cut ......I find for my comfort that i require a seat that sits taller rather than shorter(lower) so that I am not cramped from the seat to the pegs...
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Saddle cover

Before 2013 I bought a new seat cover from a guy in IL for less than $30.00, advertised as handmade with 25 yrs experience that I've been quite happy with. EBay xs1100 seat cover, I think he's still there. Simply informed him that I have an '80G, it arrived in the mail and fit surprisingly well. Soft vinyl with a thin foam backing underneath. I recall the sellers name is Mac. Fitment may depend on calling out the model you want to recover.
            Corey
            Vetterized 80 G 119k miles

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
              Some of us that do quite a bit of LD rides have had good results from just these seat pads. they strap down over your original, add about an inch of foam padding, breath pretty well, and protect the seat cover from wear.

The best part is they only cost about $20 and last about a year, for me anyway.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-AT...ector/16777864

Here's how it looks on the bike, mine is kinda faded and worn. I need anew one.

ATV seat pad is the same thing, and be had from Wally World for under $20. I used them on both my bikes(previous Honda ST and my Venturer1100), both wear Corbin tour seats as a base. The ATV seat covers make for a way comfy seat, specially on LD rides.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

SG vs SH

Top seat is SH

Bottom seat is SG

Foam is a different shape among between the two models, but seat pans are still interchangeable.

Maybe the shape is part of the issue? Marty has commented that he finds the SH seat more comfortable than the SG.
                -Mike
                _________
                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                  Top seat is SH

Bottom seat is SG

Foam is a different shape among between the two models, but seat pans are still interchangeable.

Maybe the shape is part of the issue? Marty has commented that he finds the SH seat more comfortable than the SG.
                  SH seat on my SG in the pic. Took a while to get used to being shoved forward by that hump in the seat but is quite comfortable now.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Gonna try the $30 cover first....

Originally posted by CoreyF View Post
                    Before 2013 I bought a new seat cover from a guy in IL for less than $30.00, advertised as handmade with 25 yrs experience that I've been quite happy with.
                    Corey & All,
                    Thanks for that input. I saw that offering on e-bay. That was the one I was concerned about quality. At less than $30 I figured it's either a great deal or a POS. Since you had good luck with one I'm going to try that FIRST.

I actually have yet another full SG seat I got from a friend here on XS11.com. It needs a new cover but is otherwise in very nice condition (Great seat pan!). So, it can adorn that spare with the $30 cover and if it's really better it will become the permanent seat for Mayberry. Not much to lose at only $30.

I did realize that the padding is as big a component of the seating system as the cover but the cover on the UNCOMFORTABLE seat is EXTREMELY FIRM and has absolutely minimal "give" whereas the other is supple.

I'm gonna give that $30 cover a try first since Corey had good luck with one.

Thanks Guys!

Respectfully,
                    KURT
                    Kurt Boehringer
                    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

https://www.beadrider.com/

This is what I used during the Iron Butt Rally. I have an aftermarket seat but without the beads my limit drops to about 4-5 days. Last 24 hrs of the IBR was from Regina Sask. to Pittsburgh PA. and had zero discomfort.
                      Scott
                      I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

Working...
                      X