3D Printed Carburetor calibration Bowls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Printed Carburetor calibration Bowls

Testing the waters to see if anyone would be interested in a set of see through calibration bowls. The general idea behind them being that I scan in the existing bowls to a CAD drawing. Then modify the bowl so that it has legs at the bottom that would double as a stand. I could also place an open tube that would come off the side and up so that if it over flows it drains out there instead of out the main nozzle. From what I have read the plastic will work temporarily. It takes a couple days for the molecules to make their way through the plastic. So for calibrating and tuning I can't think of a better way then to be able to bolt these on and really see whats going on inside. do your test bench to get the float heights to match and then toss them on the bike real quick and watch the float heights adjust under throttle. It should help with adjusting and quickly identifying problem carbs. If anything I will use this thread for chronicling my attempts!
    79F with two parts bikes (78E and a 79F). Ran it for the first season all the way through the summer. more work to do this Spring!

It is an intriguing concept I will say.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Definitely! I've seen them for other carbs, specifically for this purpose. No need for the legs though, since they need to be calibrated with them on the bike, engine running.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

I'd be in for a set...
        thought's on pricing?
        80 SG

Comment

That is an interesting idea, but is it challenging to print something that actually holds fluid? I was looking into what it would take to print a master cylinder reservoir and the challenges were material compatibility with brake fluid and the ability to print something that doesn't leak. For a MC reservoir, 3d printing seems would only be effective for creating molds.

I don't have a 3d printer myself, but I have a co-worker with a decent setup that is willing to print anything I can provide provide CAD files.

I'm interested to see what you come up with!
          82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
          Website/Blog

Comment

Originally posted by nzemke View Post
            From what I have read the plastic will work temporarily. It takes a couple days for the molecules to make their way through the plastic.
            From the original post...

would be for temporary use, not permanent
            80 SG

Comment

Working...
            X