New guy, old bike...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy, old bike...

Well, after lurking here for the past couple months and already getting some great info from a few of the members the yammy is officially on the road today. Long story short I inherited this bike from a member here and over the last month or so have been getting it back into a road worthy status. It had been picked up for parts but was too unmolested to tear apart. After going thru the forks and brakes I tackled the drive line. Had to extract a couple busted bolts off the intake and exhaust but otherwise it was in pretty good shape. After several trips thru the carbs I finally got them sorted and synced, and after chasing a horrid flat spot at cruise I found ANOTHER bad wire at the pick ups (I had already repaired the upper wires but trusted the lowers...wrong, lesson learned) and now she runs like a cat on carpet. She's by no means the purdiest Xs on this site but after going through her front to back I expect her to be reliable! Once she's totally done with the shakedowns I'll tackle the aesthetics but I'm just glad to have it in the stable for now.

Still a couple more bugs to work out, I out run the clutch pretty easily so Barnett springs are on their way, I'll measure all the plates but expect them to be in spec. I just re adjusted the throw out so we will see if that helps the slip for the interim. The fuel gauge is in op, sender ohms out correctly and I've got 7v thru the harness so I expect the bimetallic strip has failed. Not high on my list of things to fix but I'll get to it eventually.

Again, glad to be here and hope to tap into the knowledge base often. Thanks for having me!

Dbshea

Not bad for my first sync!

79 F

Nice bike

Outside of the paint mismatch it looks pretty nice. Congratulations!
    79 SF & 80 LG MNS
    73 & 74 RD 350's
    73 Honda CL 450
    Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

Great save! Nice job bringing her back to life!

Welcome to the madness
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

'7v thru the harness' tends to tell me you possibly have low voltage TO the coils and elsewhere. May have to remove, take apart the kill switch and clean contacts. That switch completes the electrical circuit whether it be on or off.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          '7v thru the harness' tends to tell me you possibly have low voltage TO the coils and elsewhere. May have to remove, take apart the kill switch and clean contacts. That switch completes the electrical circuit whether it be on or off.
          I should have been more specific I think, when troubleshooting the fuel gauge I verified 7v at the fuel level sender harness (which is correct)
          79 F

Comment

Originally posted by Dbshea View Post
            I should have been more specific I think, when troubleshooting the fuel gauge I verified 7v at the fuel level sender harness (which is correct)
            Got it! Sorry for misunderstanding.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
            X