Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, Motoman!

Brant,

I found you some help until you get back into the saddle.

Curb finders and everything!
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Originally posted by trbig View Post
    Brant,

Thanks Tod, but riding is not really the issue. If I had a standing still tip-over, or even tripped and fell while walking, there's a 95% chance I'd spend the rest of my time here in a wheel chair. So, don't think that all would be worth the risk for me nor Anita. I did get the Venturer running suberbly with no stumble. It IS running a bit rich with the running bowl fuel levels a bit high at 2mm. I may at least remove the carb bank and drop the floats .016. My figuring from many prior carb removals figures that float drop at my previous statement. Even now, with plugs being black over a long 200 mi. run and exhaust smell at road speeds, the VFR coils fire perfectly, not even a hint of a miss! Mileage really sucked at 33mpg at 70-75mph. There's a possibility Anita and I may drive over to the rally in Canon City to visit and say Hi to everyone. Now, that pictured little buggy oughta' keep me upright!
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Tod,

That's freakin' hilarious!
      Nice find, man.
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
        There's a possibility Anita and I may drive over to the rally in Canon City to visit and say Hi to everyone.
        Now that would be a real good thing.
        We all hope to see you there. Just do it ........

Working on my XS11E now but have the 'other bikes' triumphantly waiting in the wings so to speak; just in case.
        Will see if those new Go's will get me 14K front & 12K rear like the Avons. (4K on each side & 4K in the middle)

Jeff
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
          Now that would be a real good thing.
          We all hope to see you there. Just do it ........

Working on my XS11E now but have the 'other bikes' triumphantly waiting in the wings so to speak; just in case.
          Will see if those new Go's will get me 14K front & 12K rear like the Avons. (4K on each side & 4K in the middle)

Jeff
          Hi Jeff,
          Like your comment, and we may just 'do it'. Over the decades, have used just about every manufacurers tires on my Venturer. Went back to the Contientals and only some 1200mi. of LD riding on them so far. What I found is that Conti Go's mating and handling on the XS11 are unmatched by any other tire brand same as they were 3 decades ago using RB2(front) and K112(rear). Obviously, tread pattern is different, but construction design still allows bike to handle superbly rather it be wet or dry road, curvy or in a straight line........still can't be beat by any other manufacturer when used on the XS1100. May just be my opinion, but 3 plus decades experience with different tire manufacturers on the Venturer has counted for something. Also, the LD riding you've done on that pretty 1800Wing, visiting with you here last fall over lunch, you'll be happy usung the Go's on that XS1100!
          '
          Last edited by motoman; 03-18-2016, 11:57 AM.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Continentals

I always ran conti's on my SF up till 91. They were a fantastic all round tire. I put them on this E I just finished and almost choked to death when I paid the bill. Very expensive compared to the competition but if todays tire is as good as the old ones, I'll still be happy in the long run.
            mack
            79 XS 1100 SF Special
            HERMES
            original owner
            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
            SPICA
            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
            IOTA
            https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
            https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
            Frankford, Ont, Canada
            613-398-6186

Comment

My new Conti GO's are marked "Made in Korea". I wasn't expecting that. Maybe Made in the Shinko Plant?

the british Avon's did work extremely well with my Race Tech emulators and custom wound springs that Traxxion Dynamics installed. Avons had great handling and mileage. So will see how these Go's perform and how long they last.

Things change over time so it will be interesting to see how things are today with these Korean GO's. Shinko seems to be what a lot like. The 14,000 fun miles out of the Avons was what seems amazing.

All a mute point till i get off the dime and install the new tires & tubes and do the balancing. Just been lazy. Maybe tomorrow I will get to it.

Jeff
              Last edited by JeffH; 03-18-2016, 06:42 PM.
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                My new Conti GO's are marked "Made in Korea". I wasn't expecting that. Maybe Made in the Shinko Plant?

the british Avon's did work extremely well with my Race Tech emulators and custom wound springs that Traxxion Dynamics installed. Avons had great handling and mileage. So will see how these Go's perform and how long they last.

Things change over time so it will be interesting to see how things are today with these Korean GO's. Shinko seems to be what a lot like. The 14,000 fun miles out of the Avons was what seems amazing.

All a mute point till i get off the dime and install the new tires & tubes and do the balancing. Just been lazy. Maybe tomorrow I will get to it.

Jeff
                Change your front rim to a tubeless and just plug the holes for the bead locks on the rear and go tubeless. Saves time, weight, and cash.

I'm still running the Dunlop Elite 3 I had on the rear at the last XSSE I attended 2 1/2 years ago. It's been to Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Tennessee, Arkansas, Kansas, North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Missouri. I put a new one on last August before I took off for The Lost Rally in Michigan but only because I didn't want to worry about it, put the old one back on when I got home and it's still on there.

Not sure of the exact mileage because I had a speedometer go fruit on me sometime in there and swapped it out with another. Thinking I have somewhere between 10 and 12K on it right now. It's getting down there but I'm still OK with it around home.

I haven't found anything that feels as good under the bike on the rear and I've tried a few.

The front I'm really happy with the Shinko 712. I tried an Avon Venom up there on the trip through the west. About 3.5 -4K.......hated it. Put a Shinko back on and all's well again.

Anyone who likes the Venom I have one I'll sell for half what I paid for it, I paid $130. It's a 110/90/19 like new. all that's missing is the nubs.

Just start talking about tires and see what happens?
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Brant,

Synthetic or Dino oil ?...
                  1980xs1100.sg Pacifica Fairing ..stock.
                  2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100.! ⛺

Comment

Originally posted by tomcos67 View Post
                    Synthetic or Dino oil ?...
                    Most likely Castor
                    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Brant,

Trbig, you're an evil, evil man. LoL
                      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                        Trbig, you're an evil, evil man. LoL
                        So... you've met him, huh?
                        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                          So... you've met him, huh?
                          Tod isn't evil, he's just drawn that way (Jessica Rabbit)........
                          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

How the @&%* do you turn a walker picture into a tire thread? And you call ME evil?
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

How the @&%* do you turn a walker picture into a tire thread? And you call ME evil?
                              It's got those Harley wide whitewalls.......
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X