Just an Observation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just an Observation

Being the owner of A LOT of bikes, I belong to a lot of forums. There are only a few forums that resemble our's, and that would be: Yamaha-triples.org, and TheGSResources.com

Those two sites have a collective bunch of users much like our's, whom happen to be of the older generations, and a great respect for biking.

I've noticed on a lot of the sport bike forums, etc., there may be one "Guru" with like 10,000 posts, and everybody else is a noob, or just not much mechanical knowledge. Not sure if it has anything to do with with sportbike riders being younger, ergo no riding experience, or whatever. But, I am constantly comparing other sites to XS11.com . . .
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

IanDMacDonald,you are right,Plus one as they say.! Nice bunch of people here.But even more knowledge.! Have a nice day.!
    1980xs1100.sg Pacifica Fairing ..stock.
    2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100.! ⛺

Comment

Hey Ian,

I'm also a member on a couple of Concours14 forums.

I figured at 53 I'd be one of the few "older" guys riding a Connie.

Boy was I wrong! The overwhelming majority of guys there are in their mid-60's to early seventies! One guy's 88. Still rides to a lot of the rallies.

Someone recently posted some pictures of the big annual rally they have called "The National". I couldn't believe the grey... (Made me feel better about myself! LOL!)

Just goes to show, ya never get too old to ride great motorcycles!

(Even one called an "International SuperSportTourer".)
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Not just Motorcycles

At times, I've had car challenges and checked into the appropriate car forum for help.

The worst group I ever encountered was 3rd generation Camaro forum. There were a lot of foul-mouthed over-opinionated, under-informed, and downright ignorant individuals stoking their egos.

Do I sound like one of them?

Fortunately, there were some wise, helpful members too.
        -Mike
        _________
        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
        '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
        '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
        '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
          Being the owner of A LOT of bikes, I belong to a lot of forums. There are only a few forums that resemble our's, and that would be: Yamaha-triples.org, and TheGSResources.com

Those two sites have a collective bunch of users much like our's, whom happen to be of the older generations, and a great respect for biking.

I've noticed on a lot of the sport bike forums, etc., there may be one "Guru" with like 10,000 posts, and everybody else is a noob, or just not much mechanical knowledge. Not sure if it has anything to do with with sportbike riders being younger, ergo no riding experience, or whatever. But, I am constantly comparing other sites to XS11.com . . .
          I'm also a member of http://www.yamaha-triples.org, and like you said, great guys and the forum was excellent, comparable to this one.

However the operators lost control to the spammmers! I posted awhile back on their forum that they should contact the owner.operators of this forum in an effort to learn how to control that problem. If anyone here could help them, I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated.
          Bob's Bikes:
          79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
          https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
          https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
          "
          Project XS11"
          "Rucksack Grunt"
          "Small Unit Leadership"
          "Jean's Heroic Journey"

Bob's Parts:
          For Sale Here.

Comment

Maybe is cause dem der new fangled, fuel injected, computer controlled, ABS equipped, sensor driven, fly by wire, slipper clutch, trellis framed, nitrogen/argon/helium shocked, reverse flow double throwdown catalyst mufflered bikes are so complicated to work on. Aint no float level spec for a R6. Never gonna retro fit Sportster mufflers to GSX. And how many bikes can you cobble back together on a snowy mountaintop? Hells bells, most of todays bikes you cant even change the handlebars without some sort of home equity loan.

Or is it most of us are to cheap (me), scared of (just a bit), don't own a laptop to plug into the diagnostic port or no longer want to, or even can cover 300 miles a day in the fetal position?
            When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Lmfaoooo!!!!!!
              1979 XS1100F
              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Painful

Originally posted by Ranger_xs1100 View Post
                I'm also a member of http://www.yamaha-triples.org, and like you said, great guys and the forum was excellent, comparable to this one.

However the operators lost control to the spammmers! I posted awhile back on their forum that they should contact the owner.operators of this forum in an effort to learn how to control that problem. If anyone here could help them, I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated.
                It's a shame what is happening on the Triples forum. Out of necessity, folks are already considering pulling up the stakes and moving elsewhere, costing the knowledge base accumulated over a decade.
                -Mike
                _________
                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Whatever you did here I love it!! I just had a baby (7 weeks old tomorrow) and now that things have settled my favorite night time activity is catching up on the forum. Even the JOTD thread is good!
                  78 E

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                    It's a shame what is happening on the Triples forum. Out of necessity, folks are already considering pulling up the stakes and moving elsewhere, costing the knowledge base accumulated over a decade.
                    Hey Mike,

Sorry to hear that. Due to the AGE of our site's software, it hasn't been upgraded since 2008-9, the spammers had been able to get accounts activated without even having to wait for the email confirmation step! I would spend hours every night deleting 10's of spammer accounts, trying to collect their IP's and place them in the blocked section, but it was futile!

SO...we finally just had to slam the door shut so to speak.....turned OFF Self registration. I then changed the site's software email/contact us link to an email address that I could access vs. just the webmaster, and then I just check it every day for new applicants. I then register them myself, and notify them via email when their account is ready. SO...it's going to take some dedication of the Triples webmaster/admins/mods to be willing to check and create the new member's accounts manually. But this totally STOPPED all of the spambots from getting new accounts.

Feel free to pass this along/post it to the triples forum for their ADMIN/MODs to see/read and decide if they want to implement this technique! Good Luck.

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks!

T.C.:

Thanks for all you do for us.

I'll pass your approach on to the Triples Moderators, but the Owner is unfortunately MIA since last summer.
                      -Mike
                      _________
                      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Working...
                      X