newb 79 xs 1100 special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newb 79 xs 1100 special

Hi All...just picked up a non running 1979 XS 1100 Special with good tires...only 22xxx miles on it...Got my fingers crossed on this
    one...relining on what the PO told me...it was a $300 shot in the dark...I ordered a 350 CCA battery for it...will start on the carb in a day or two...Carbs and airbox was already off the bike...Thinking about putting some air filter pods on it...I think it has 4 in 2 stock exhaust with baffles removed...Being 67 yrs old...don't think I'll like that...Don't these engines like back pressure ??? Any good
    pictures on the forum on installing these carbs and lines...? If you have any advice that can make it easier on me...Please Share...

OH Yea...This is low budget until I see what this engine has been through...Gas tank is clean...Thanks
    79 XS 1100 Special "Basket Case"

Welcome

MadHatter:

Congratulation on finally making your way into membership.

Yes, it will be hard to make the bike run right without exhaust back pressure.

Many member runs pods instead of the stock airbox. You can always make it run perfect if you stick with the stock airbox. When you do something different, sometimes there are compromises in the results after you have tuned it as best you can.

Many members run pods with good results. I think most would recommend a slight richer main jet. I'll let them speak, as all my bikes are stock.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Thanks...I have been told that my stock exhaust baffles would be hard to remove since its all one piece...Well , I have a hard time posting pictures on
      forums that require you shrink them first...somewhat computer challenged
      ...However if you look in my exhaust...you won't see any baffles...nothing but
      a big hole at the end...I don't have any header pipes...I have some left over
      mufflers...I was wondering if the can cut my stock mufflers off and put a set
      of harley muffles on...I want to create some back pressure...the way they are
      now...they may look stock...but they are more or less straight pipes...I doubt
      if they have any replacement baffle to fasten in there...The PO told me the
      bike was really loud because the baffles has been removed...Thanks

Comment

A set of Harley mufflers would be the way to go. I have a set on my 80SG and they work great.

by the way Welcome!
        Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
        80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
        82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
        82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
        82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
        72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
        72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter4119 View Post
          Well , I have a hard time posting pictures on
          forums that require you shrink them first...somewhat computer challenged
          Change the pixel setting on your camera so you take smaller pics.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I'm using an old iphone 5 to take pictures...

Comment

You should be able to go into camera settings and change the picture size.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Posting Pictures

MadHatter:

You might have missed the method to post pictures.

Some forums require small picture file sizes, and you can directly insert the pictures, but this forum is different.

You need to host the pictures on another site. Other members directed me to Photobucket:

http://s1346.photobucket.com/upload?evt=email_register

When you have created a Photobucket account, and loaded the picture you want to post, just click on the "IMG" box on the right-hand side of the Photobucket screen, and then you can go back to forum and paste the link.

Let us know if you need more help.
                -Mike
                _________
                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                  MadHatter:

You might have missed the method to post pictures.

Some forums require small picture file sizes, and you can directly insert the pictures, but this forum is different.

You need to host the pictures on another site. Other members directed me to Photobucket:

http://s1346.photobucket.com/upload?evt=email_register

When you have created a Photobucket account, and loaded the picture you want to post, just click on the "IMG" box on the right-hand side of the Photobucket screen, and then you can go back to forum and paste the link.

Let us know if you need more help.
                  Clicking the "IMG" box also automatically resizes to suit this forum. Easy
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I set up an account in Photobucket or whatever the above name is...Now I need to lean how to use it...One step at a time...

Comment

Hi madhatter,
                      Stock airbox works fine except I found it to be a stone bitch to take it off to access the carbs and just as bad to put it back on again afterwards.
                      I got so annoyed at all the blood, bandaids and bad language it took fighting with the airbox before I finally got the carbs clean enough for the bike to run good that I replaced it with pods. Unipods are best, the pleated conical pods eff up the airflow.
                      Alas that stock exhausts are just about unfindable. Mine had rusted out to the extent that only the headers were salvageable. I welded up bits of car exhaust to remake the collectors to accept a pair of mufflers that came off a 1960's Triumph 650.
                      They looked real nice, go to the list's modifications section/wheels & suspension/why I ride a sidecar outfit/first photo
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                      X