flooded basement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flooded basement

Waked down the basement steps yesterday only to find up to 6 inches of water on the floor. Sitting on the carpet!

Seems the float for the sump pump was somehow waterlogged (water's not leaving the float so I don't know how it got in), so it was too heavy to travel up enough to flip the switch, Anyway, I turned it on and after quite a few hours the water got pumped out. Carpet/pad is a soaked sponge. Lots of cardboard boxes full of motorcycle parts is probably the worst of it other than the nice carpet which is currently being cut to bits. Possibly the base of the drywall.

Serve-Pro is here now beginning to take care of things. Seem very professional. A fleet of four vans.
    As is often the case, I hemmed and hawed about doing an insurance claim. Haven't ever had one on a house (40 years with State Farm).

Anyway, any words of wisdom from anyone that's been there done that?
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

State Farm

I have also been with SF for many years. Have auto and home policies. Had a couple of claims from lightning damage and one flooded basement. They never blinked. Handled everything with no hesitation. Just paid the deductible.
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Been there. SF is usually great. As long as the damage $ is over deductible it would be worth the claim. Prob would have been easier if an adjuster saw the flood condition before rip out or at least have pictures to view.
      80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

According to consumer advocate, Clark Howard, you should leave your homeowner policy alone unless the damage is catastrophic. I have been dropped by my homeowner insurer and than hurt my bottom line real bad for several years. I should add that it was not State Farm or over a flooded basement.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

basement

sht happens. Just removed 70 yds. soaked carpet at cousins house. Serve pro. very good. Dry the place out .then call you local carpet store. Best carpet is 100% continuous filament nylon...this is the best carpet by far...If your even thinking of carpet in basement again.Good Luck....40 years flooring .ask me anything.be glad to help...have a nice day.....
          1980xs1100.sg Pacifica Fairing ..stock.
          2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100.! ⛺

Comment

So, State Farm has the claim. Very happy with ServPro so far. Carpet and pad gone.
            All the fans and dehumidifiers are running until tomorrow. Pretty darn dry down there now.
            They will likely have to cut a foot or so from the bottom of the drywall. We will see.
            I'm on the fence about carpet. Not really any reason to have it down there although it was very nice. Previous owner worked at a carpet store. Thinking about a good epoxy floor paint? Don't know a thing about floor paint though.
            80 SG
            81 SH in parts
            99 ST1100
            91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
              So, State Farm has the claim. Very happy with ServPro so far. Carpet and pad gone.
              All the fans and dehumidifiers are running until tomorrow. Pretty darn dry down there now.
              They will likely have to cut a foot or so from the bottom of the drywall. We will see.
              I'm on the fence about carpet. Not really any reason to have it down there although it was very nice. Previous owner worked at a carpet store. Thinking about a good epoxy floor paint? Don't know a thing about floor paint though.
              Two part Flecto seamless flooring works well on concrete, and keeps it from getting slick if damp or wet. Lots of color choices for topping.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Replace the pump!?
                RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Or at least the float switch if it's not an integral part of the pump?? Funny how Floats of all sorts cause flooding of our "stuff"!

So..I'm assuming that the basement is below the water table in your area which allows the seepage of water into it?? Apparently it doesn't stop/FREEZE during the winter months...since the ground temps don't get cold enough that deep down to actually freeze like in Alaska/Permafrost???

SO...wondering about any way to SEAL the walls in the basement somehow with a paint/sealant that would work even in the presence of moisture water...I know there's concrete that can set up UNDER WATER???

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I had a problem with my sump pump about ten years ago. It was the kind that had the pump motor on the bottom and it got corroded enough that the float would no longer trip the motor. I replaced it with a pedestal type pump, and I much prefer that design. It keeps the motor up out of the water and it just seems like a much better design. JAT

I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                      I had a problem with my sump pump about ten years ago. It was the kind that had the pump motor on the bottom and it got corroded enough that the float would no longer trip the motor. I replaced it with a pedestal type pump, and I much prefer that design. It keeps the motor up out of the water and it just seems like a much better design. JAT
                      That was exactly my reasoning when I bought this pedestal.
                      but,
                      these experienced ServPro guys said just the opposite. They much prefer an internal float. Most problems they see are from the pedestals. They said to definitely go with the submersible. Hmm..
                      80 SG
                      81 SH in parts
                      99 ST1100
                      91 ST1100

Comment

That was exactly my reasoning when I bought this pedestal.
                        but,
                        these experienced ServPro guys said just the opposite. They much prefer an internal float. Most problems they see are from the pedestals. They said to definitely go with the submersible. Hmm..
                        You'll find conflicting opinions regarding submersible vs. pedestal type pumps. I guess I'm genetically indisposed to taking the word of contractors and prefer to do my own research. Dad always said "don't believe anything you hear, and half of what you see."

From what I understand submersibles are better if you have a lot of solids in the pit, and pedestals are better where the pit is narrow. I've also read that pedestals will last a lot longer than submersibles. What seems to go out a lot is the float, which is easily replaceable on a pedestal unit. Not so easy on a submersible.

Here's a site that has some good info on making the choice between the two - Best sump pump. And there's a lot of other websites with good info. Probably worth doing some Googling, 'cause a wet basement is a big PITA. I've still got things "up on stilts" in my basement, JIC.
                        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I was in charge of maintaining a fountain along the City hall. The pit was 10 foot deep covered with a very heavy diamond plate steel. The area was infested with small humans that just loved to poke sticks and anything else that would fit through the hole in the sump cover. There was a 3/4" hole for the hook to pull the cover away for access to the sump.

I tried everything to keep the debris out of the pump. I thought I had the solution, a 1/2" screen over the sump pit.
                          After one lengthy storm I went to check the "pit" only to find the water less than a foot from the top of the pit.

After an hour and a half of pumping, the culprit turned out to be a wedged popsicle stick!

Just enough to keep the float from rising.

The best solution? Add checking the float to the honey do's.

Everything on hold...

Comment

- - - Anyway, any words of wisdom from anyone that's been there done that?
                            Hi DeanR,
                            mebbe 30 years back and in another Province we woke up to a 100 year rainstorm and 3 feet of raw sewage in our basement.
                            Wife had a thing to do out of town, asked should she stay?
                            Nothing can be done until it the nasty brown fluid drains away so go.
                            When she came home the basement contents were at the town dump and the basement was clean, damp and smelled of strong disinfectant.
                            How was the basement?
                            Full of sh*t.
                            Oh.
                            Next year we had another downpour & backup and my wife had nowhere to be.
                            After the level dropped she saw all the damp toilet paper and human waste and said WTF?
                            Full of sh*t just like last year?
                            Oh, I supposed that you meant wet rubbish, I didn't think you meant actual SH*T!
                            Anyway our insurance guy asked, did it come in through the basement windows?
                            No it came up the floor drain.
                            Then you ain't covered.
                            Then last year a plow wind tore down my backyard fence and peeled a few shingles off my roof.
                            That was covered OK and got fixed up just fine.
                            Next renewal date my deductable went from $250 to $1,000.
                            Bastards.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Mark Twain Said once.......

A Banker is a fellow who will loan you his umbrella when the sun is shining but wants it back the minute it starts to rain...

I believe he meant to include insurance company's as well.

Everything on hold...

Comment

Working...
                              X