Hunker Down...its coming!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunker Down...its coming!!!

we're forecasted for up to 10" down here...thats nothing compared to you all in VA,MD,DC NJ,PA and NY...and New England too. It doesnt take much to cripple this state so its prudent to over prepare as you never know...1-3 inches of snow or ice and its a week or more before you can get out and about...this time we'll get lucky as next week is forecasting 50* weather most of the week...still for the rest of youse all take and be safe...
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

You guys take it easy. Working for a LE agency the best I can say is "Don't drive to fast for conditions" or don't get out on the roads at all if you can manage it.

Years ago I invested in a snow blower and a garden tractor with a blade; both have come in handy many times in Wisconsin, Arizona, and Colorado winters.

(The lawn tractor gets the mowing deck put on for summer use.)

My older Gilson snow-plow rig is waiting for repairs; one or more magnets, part of the charging system, have broken off the flywheel causing an out-of-balance condition. I'm looking around for a used flywheel (Briggs #391363 if anyone has one!) and will put this rig back into service. It is better for plowing than the John Deer, but the JD does OK as well.

Just a few of the toys I have in my garage...

For the record, the Gilson is powered by a 16hp single-cylinder B&S engine, the John Deere has a 14hp Kawasaki single-cylinder engine. Both have hydrostatic transmissions which work very well for snow plowing.
    Last edited by Jerry; 01-22-2016, 10:56 AM.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I use solar powered snow removal. Sometimes it's a little slow, but it usually works in a day or two.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
        I use solar powered snow removal. Sometimes it's a little slow, but it usually works in a day or two.
        +1........for the little bit of snow 'dustin' we get here. Pretty much can ride scoots year-round here.......well, cept up-valley 20mi. where Jerry is located. Even at nearly 5,000ft. elev., we stil call where I live the 'banana belt'.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

madmax-im : I spent 23 years in and around the Charlotte area. They didn't
          even have plows then. They scraped the roads with graders and backhoe's! I'm in a motel in Roanoke Va now hoping I can get a flight out tomorrow. We came up a day early because of the storm. Over a foot out there now and it's far from done if the weather forecast is anywhere close.

Jerry : Nice set up. We get lots of wind, but usually not a lot of snow. However, 3" with 20-30 MPH winds usually necessitates a backhoe to clean my driveway. It drifts like cray where I am in SW VA.

Comment

Hey Jerry:

Are those "Special" handlebars on the snowblower?

Originally posted by Jerry View Post

-Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Not much snow here but lots of ice and freezing rain. Causing lots of fallen trees and downed power lines...we've been out for 30 hours...trying to stay warm with firewood in the fireplace...it might be a couple more days yet before its restored
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                Not much snow here but lots of ice and freezing rain. Causing lots of fallen trees and downed power lines...we've been out for 30 hours...trying to stay warm with firewood in the fireplace...it might be a couple more days yet before its restored
                Sorry to hear that, Ben!
                Hope they've got your power back on by now!

I went through that, myself... back in 2007 here in Skiatook.
                Horrible ice storm. Lived in Ok my entire life. Never saw such tree devastation in my whole life, never have since. Ice storms SUCK!

We were out of power 13 days during that one.
                I had installed a generator, had lots of gas on hand, tractor, chain saws and chains... never worked so hard in my whole life clearing my 1,000 ft. driveway.

Everybody's meter services were ripped off their houses. By the time I dug out and could go to work, there was no electrical materials in the state. I had 50 meter rebuilds to do to get people's power and heat back on... no materials could be bought to do the work! What a nightmare.

The only good thing that came out of it... it completely turned our business's income around for December! It had been a bad year...
                Just thought we never would get materials so we could get the jobs done.

In 13 days with no power, on generator... gasoline costs were $500!
                Made that $200/ mo electric bill look cheap, after that!

Hope you're ok, Ben. Keep us posted, plz!
                Bob
                '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Hi Jerry,

I like that JD you have!
                  Looks like a good rig to move some snow.

I've been thinking of adding a weight kit on my Husqvarna for more traction.
                  Most of the one's I've seen for mine install on the wheels, though...instead of the back.

Mind if I ask where you bought your weight kit at?

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

http://www.wnd.com/2016/01/martial-l...new-york-city/
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Yeah, it was a real MONSTOR of a storm

Someone sent this to my SWMBO, thought it was funny!

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Ha ha ha ha.....I saw that one the other day TC. Looks like something that would be posted in Florida.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Godzilla

T.C.

Nobody could be more fitting to post that particular picture.
                          -Mike
                          _________
                          '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                          '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                          '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                          '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                          '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                          '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                          '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Our power has been restored 49hours after the fact...but a warm house and a hot shower never felt so good!
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                              Our power has been restored 49hours after the fact...but a warm house and a hot shower never felt so good!
                              Glad to hear it, Ben!

Kinda makes you appreciate the little things we take for granted more, doesn't it?

I can't get over how often I catch myself trying to flip a light switch on out of habit during a power outage...

4 days-no power. Wow... I friggin hate ice storms!
                              We've barely dodged the bullet here several times this winter ourselves.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Working...
                              X