slow down, kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slow down, kid

was headed to the local wal-mart yesterday to pick up some film.

on my way i was being tailgated by a young kid on a motorcycle (i being in a small car could barely see his headlight). i was in the right lane, and he then moved to the lane next to me and when there was about a car's length between myself and the car in front of him, he darted between us and moved in front of me - couldn't have been more a few feet cushion to his front and back. had the car in front of him hit its brakes at that time it would have been all over for him.

then he was also in the wal-mart parking lot. i saw him waiting behind a car which was stopped waiting for a parking spot. he took off like a bat out of hell around the stopped car... just as the other car was backing out of it's spot. as he swerved to avoid the car there couldn't have been more than a couple feet clearance. he then proceeded to gun it and was hauling ass down the congested parking lot.

riding a bike in town is dangerous enough without driving like an jackass.

I used to drive a truck cross country and I've seen alot of wrecks. Sounds like this kid on his crotch rocket may soon be added to the ranks of rotten.com (WARNING- Don't go to that site if you have a weak stomach) It's people that ride with no sense that make it harder and harder for people like me to enjoy riding.
    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
    1-big XS patch
    1-small XS/XJ patch
    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

He eventually will serve as a reminder to the rest of the world as to why you shouldn't drive like an ass.

This is a prime example of Darwinism hard at work.
      79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
      07 V-star 1100
      Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

Local news a few days ago...motorcycle accident, driver drifted across center line and hit a truck head-on. I know the stretch of road, suspect the rider was going to fast for the curve. What caught my eye was the bike, a crotch-rocket type, but it was carrying a temporary plate. Guy didn't have it long enough to get a permanent plate! (Usually 30 - 60 days.) New bike, twisting road, going to fast...as you say, Darwinism at work.

I've pulled a couple stunts and been lucky a few times, so know that experience is the best teacher and you have to learn. Trick is to know when you are at your skill limit and when you can or should not push the envelope. Cutting inside the center line on a blind corner is stupid, no matter what skill level you are at.
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

There is a time and a place for aggresive riding, and apparently that was neither. I know this may sound heartless, but I have no pity for these idiots who get splatterd on a bike because they were doing stooopid $#it!. How about the idiot on the zip-splat who is wearing shorts and sandals, no shirt or helmet, and riding a wheelie on the freeway at 60 mph? They give all of us on a bike a bad name. You know, quite often when we read about a motorcyclist being killed/hurt, our first thought is that some idiot in a cage didn't see/look for a bike, but then we read on and find that it was some punk on a bike that is WAY too powerful, and he had more balls than brains, and got himself splattered. I strongly feel that young kids should not be allowed on anything larger than 450cc's till they reach 25 years old, or make the insurance so rediculously expensive that they can't afford it. Maybe start holding the dealership that sold the CBR1000RR, or the 'Busa and Honda Blackbird to these kids, responsible. Kinda like holding a bartender responsible for some idiot that didn't know when to stop drinking. These punks see these movies where trained professional riders are doing these outragous things with a bike, and think because they know how to keep there bike from falling over in a turn, that they can duplicate the stunt.

Ahhh...I feel much better now.

Comment

Originally posted by John
            You know, quite often when we read about a motorcyclist being killed/hurt, our first thought is that some idiot in a cage didn't see/look for a bike, but then we read on and find that it was some punk on a bike that is WAY too powerful, and he had more balls than brains, and got himself splattered.
            John, I have long felt this way. The classic "I didn't see him" excuse is, quite often, a legitimate one in my opionion. Bikes have become so powerful, and are often operated by inexperienced riders that the biker, quite literally, wasn't in the space that the crash occured 5 seconds before it happened.

And it's not just bikers, but cars and truckers as well. I've been driving various commercial vehicles for a living for almost 25 years, and every time I leave home I am just amazed at how stupid and inconsiderate people have become. I know, I make mistakes too, but dayumm!! I wish people would slow down a bit.

I dunno, maybe life has just evolved into a big race to the finish... and that's one race I'll be happy to come in last as I am in no hurry to get to the end of it.
            Brian
            1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
            1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
            remembering the same thing!

Comment

To me the joy of rideing a bike is the feeling of contol and freedom. That means rideing within my limits. For me, if I feel I'm pushing things too hard it becomes a very uncomfortable feeling. I also dress to be comfortable yet safe. The MSC instructor lamented that it's something how the Harley people wear a half a cow of leather but wear a do rag or beanie helmet, whereas the sportbike guys have a $500 Shoie helmet with flipflops shorts & a hawaian shirt.
              I think for some, maybe a lot, of people it's all about showing off from how they look to how they ride. It's all about trying to impress. Forget about safety, I want to be cool. I want everyone to look at me. Unfortunately for them, they sometimes get their attention in the form of news reports as fatalities. Unfortunately for us, we get thrown in the same catagory as crazies or daredevels because we happen to ride a motorcycle.
              Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"
              2000 Heritage "Snow White"

Comment

One of the problems with new/young riders is there aren't very many new bikes that are suitable for these riders. My first street bike was a 1976 Honda CB360T. Lots of fun, plenty of power (for a teenager) and it looked cool. The manufacturers aren't making bikes like that anymore. 16 year old kids are going out and buying Gixxer's that would scare most of us.

I do feel bad for the kids who get hurt - they are after all kids. If someone had given me, and my 16 year old testosterone, a 600cc sportbike to drive I probably wouln't be here.

Now, many years later, I would far rather a leisurely drive down a winding country road, than seeing how fast I can take a corner.
                Chlanna Nan Con Thigibh A So's Gheibh Sibh Feoil

Comment

Hi... I'm Kat (John's SWMBO... yeah right)... long time reader, first time poster...

I started out on a 450 Honda Nighthawk. It was a great bike to learn to ride on... not too powerful (at all) and it kept me humble. I have now progressed to a Yamaha FJ1100. I enjoy the power and the speed, but I respect my limits and those of my bike (what few it has).
                  It totally amazes me the chances these kids take when they get on a "rocket bike"... It's unfortunate that the few who choose to take these chances give the rest of us a bad rep... especially considering their life span is generally much shorter than the average rider.
                  Not far from where we live is a corner where a new rider who had only had his bike a few days, met the curb with his helmet. He took the curve going WAY too fast. The cross that marks that spot dates him to be about 18 or 19 years old.
                  Another young rider was killed recently when he passed a copsicle (motorcycle cop) doing about 80mph and decided to try and out run him. Unfortunately, it was in a school zone and a mom who had just dropped off her three kids stopped him with her back bumper... she also stopped the officer but he had layed down his scoot before he hit her full force... broke his leg in the process but kept his life.
                  I think the biggest mistake is when young kids get lots of power under them... I have to agree with John when he says that there should be an age limit to certain sizes of bikes.
                  81 SH Something Special
                  81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                  81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                  80 LG Black Magic
                  78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                  For those on FB

Comment

kids

First off welcome aboard wldkat. Second,i don't think a small bike will make a differance to theese kids. After all a 600 cc bike nowadays has over 110 h.p. to the rear wheel.I believe in most part it is the new movies comming out glorifing theese stunts.How many of you actually saw thesse guys on the road doing this $hit before biker boyz?I didn't think so.After that movie thats all i see now. But on the other hand were are they going to do it? I also belong to stunt life website,and a lot of them practice in parking lots down in industrial parks after hours etc.I'm not condoneing it i'm just saying.But in all honesty i love to see a guy doing a wheelie at 140 and change.Just wish it wasn't on the road thats all.Sorry for the rant just my 2 paso's
                    1982 XJ 1100
                    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Hey underdog,
                      Here is a thought, the Harley riders and the crotch rocketeers are both completing wasting their money with their riding protection. The crotch rockets are usually driven by young healthy bodies, but no brains, and they waste their money trying to protect the brain. The Harley riders seem to use brains when they drive but the physique is a little (sometimes a lot!!) run down, if they go down those body parts are well protected but the melon is not going to make it.
                      From organ donation standpoint this is too bad.

Seriously though. a lot of us get annoyed by the idiot drivers because the make us look bad, or affect insurance, but my wife brought home a non-cyclist opinion the other day. When you drive like a donkey you are not really making a choice that only affects you. When you finally have that accident and get seriously hurt or killed you can drag someone else into the mess. Earlier this year a 20 yr old T boned a car turning left, my first thought when I read the accident report was "oh, another senior who should not be driving killed an innocent cyclist, turning left across traffic". Well the facts came out in a followup article, 1) the driver of the car was 60+, 2) this happened at night 3) car was turning left off the highway across traffic 4) driver was not charged!! because 1) biker T boned the car in rear passenger door 2) no evidince that bike used any brakes 3) bike was doing over 100 mph, in 55 zone, at 1 a.m.
                      The speed was estimated by reviewing security camera footage where the guy gassed up and comparing on-star time of air bag deployment. the elapsed time and distance travelled meant the guy would have needed to average 100 mph. The guy driving the car did not take the experience very well, wasn't his fault but he will always have the memory of what happens when a body hits an object at 100 mph +
                      I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

EVERYONE's first bike should have to be a 1977 Suzuki GS400 with a bad clutch. Don't ask me why I say this.

And yes, I still have it. It may end up my son's first bike in a few years if I don't get that thing out of my garage soon...
                        Tom Hunt
                        Lawrence, KS

1981 XS1100H
                        1998 Concours, 1984 PE175, 1974 GTMX

Comment

Ya gotta learn to crawl, before you learn to walk, And,
                          ya gotta learn to walk before you can...RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS!!!!

Comment

slow down old man

Hi guys. Interesting topic cause I see the little crotchers all the time. first thing I look for is are they wearin gloves and who in their right mind would drive a two wheeler with a rear bald tire.Let alone have someones daughter on the back in summery attire.They just wont listen when you chat to them. they think theyre immortal. Guess we were young once. Natural positon for a motor cycle is on its side. My first bike was a 500 yamy twin ,8 valve. Leaked all over the place. next was a 650 yamy and then when I got the 1100 it took me a few years to learn all about that horsepower. that was over twenty years ago. I have days now where I drive like ahoodlum but i pick and choose my spots. I got those country stretches.Worst place to drive is in a small town cause folks are in a hurrry like the city but their not as predictable. so i stay outta town . I see the young guys tail gait, make essy manouvers.Not thinking for every one aroundthem.i always ask myself, what is the dumbest thing this guy infront , to the side or behind me could do.They give No thought to precision driving. Hell Im 47 years old and for fun I practise slow speed manouvers, steady circles and figure 8's, in the school parking lot to stay sharp.Once you get on the highway I just think and the bike goes with my thoughts.I try to keep my lines straight.its been years since this last happened but I was on the road the other day cruising and this guy comes pulls up beside me at a 100 k( 60mph), on my right and starts riding with me. Im not rude but I dont know this guy and hes younger. So I cruise with him just slightly slowing down kilometer by k until Im going 5o mph.(80k) Too slow for him and he takes off. I dont know if he can keep it in a staright line or not so I didnt want him. Better to bore him thaN taking off or giving the finger. Just my own self preservation.If I know you and how you like to ride and where you like to be relative to me and we know where were going so I dont get run over youre welcome. He should have been behind me or pass me on the left. Call me rude but you guys are right its dangerous out there and we take our skills for granted.These bikes "Are" machines , not toys. I used to ride with a harley buddy who would be 12 inches off the center line. I allways road back from him because those extended trailer mirrors were passiing him at less than four feetfrom his head .he wouldnt get over . just too cool. Be safe you guys. Later
                            Steve

Comment

You have to assume that everyone around you is stoopid, and that you are invisible. They just don't see you. If you don't ride, then you tend not to look for bikes. There is a time and a place for aggressive riding, and in town, and on the crowded freeway just ain't it. I love twisties as much as the next guy, but I don't try to make them while I'm in traffic. I tend to ride in the left lane of the freeway, and with the flow of traffic. At least I don't have to worry about what's on my left, and I have an escape route in case some idiot on a cell phone 'doesn't see me'. My motto 'Hang up & Drive' I have it on the back of my helmet, and on the rear window of my car. There should be a law...

Comment

Working...
                              X