slow down, kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey there Raider,

And welcome to the FORUM. I didn't get my full driving permit for a car until I was 17&1/2 y/o due to moving around, going to 4 high schools in 3 years, 1st year(10th) all the other dummies that had failed it were repeating the Driver's Ed. Class, no room! Started in 11th, left before completing course in Bi-mester system, arrived at 3rd school, tri-mester system, they had just finished the course, they only offered it in 1st trimester. Then moved again to 4th school, Bimester system, finally able to get in course for 2nd half of year, finished at end of 11th year, turned 17 in Feb. that year! Almost had to have "Mom" drive me/us to junior prom!

BTW, typing in ALL CAPS is considered "SHOUTING", and just not good netiquette, just wanted to you know.

Welcome and enjoy, glad you're a safe one!!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

sorry about the cap thing...when i'm at work I pretty much keep it that way for paper work so it customary for me....don't take offense by it please...you'll get used to it i hope...at home i'm normal(aren't we all!!)
      anyway,sorry again,I was not yelling......i get most free time at work so thats really where i access the site at...once home...i have other things to do,,,,and ride.....than the internet!!!

81 xs1100sh......."the black-*itch"

NOT ALL MEN ARE ANNOYING.......
      SOME ARE DEAD

Comment

allowable bikes for new riders

Hi to all,
        In NSW Australia we have a list of bikes a new rider can use.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...iceriders.html

And there are fairly specific laws about what one can and cant do.
        But the old story is you cant put an old head on new shoulders.
        My own rride theory is that everyone else is right because its really hard to argue a point of law fom a slab in the morgue.
        Too many young guns do what I did except that there's heaps more traffic, anger and self righteousness (cant spell) ruling the roads now.
        If I get away I ride to my ability and it takes me a couple of hours and plenty of vision in all directions to get in the groove.
        I can understand young riders wanting to zip in front otherwise they wont be seen, or should I say looked at.
        At 54 yers of age pose value is my reaction to a young filly in Penthouse.
        glenno

Comment

I'm 21 - in the prime years of self-destructiveness.

Similar to Glenno, I'm from aus, but a different state - Queensland. In QLD, there are 2 classes of motorbike licence - R and RE. If you have held your car licence for under 3 years straight, you can only get an RE licence, which limits you to a maximum 250cc bike. An R licence is unrestricted. The exception to this rule is if you complete a Q-RIDE course at your own cost (which, i am guessing, is similar to your MSC courses) - in which case you can progress straight to R. You can't undertake the Q-RIDE course without first having held your licence for 3 years (including the 3yr provisional period for those under-25).

The end result is the crazy kids eager to get on a bike are stuck on 250s, while 20 is the youngest anyone can hope to be on something more powerful. I don't know if it works, seems QLD have just as many motorbike fatalities, but from MY personal experience, i feel quite at ease and safe on my bike thanks to the course and experience in a car.

Anyway, just thought this thread could use the input of someone usually stereotyped by the community as one of those nutcases in thongs and a singlet on an R1 using only 1 of the 2 wheels at any one time. And i should note, of my friends looking at getting bikes, all are doing the Q-RIDE course on my advice, and all are budgeting a significant proportion of their funds towards correct safety clothing, instead of a better bike.

I think i'm a responsible, courteous rider. So there you go, we do exist.
          Winkel
          '81 XS1100RH (Australian)

Comment

Trouble with being a resposible,courteous rider is that nobody notices you, all they ever see are the annoying irresponible jerks. But you will probably live a lot longer then they will.

Steve
            80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
            73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
            62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
            Norton Electra - future restore
            CZ 400 MX'er
            68 Ducati Scrambler
            RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Working...
            X