Reverse Search on Part Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse Search on Part Numbers

Did anyone ever find a way to discover from a part number which model XS it will fit ? (Apart from searching each fiche that is)

If not, I reckon I'm frustrated enough to have a go at putting a Part Number -> Model list together. BUT, before the cheering starts, my thinking is that I need to go through a few steps first

1) scavenge the Yamaha fiches for parts numbers
    2) learn how to write a Database and populate it (probably mySQL)
    3) learn how to make Database calls from a webpage (probably PHP)
    4) build a few webpages to allow simple queries
    5) buy some webspace and publish it

At this rate it'll take me a couple of months minimum (if it ever gets built) so please tell me there's an easier way.
    Brian
    XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
    Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

A couple points to consider.

Some part numbers, those that do not start with a 3 letter/number combination, are 'generic' and fit multiple bikes over multiple years. Bolts, nuts, and washers fall into this category.

Yamaha's 3 letter/number prefix, like 2H7 or 10M, indicate the first model where the parts were introduced and stay in effect until superceeded by new numbers. Examples of this are gaskets; the 2H7-13414-00-00 oil pan gasket was introduced on the '78 XS 11 and is the same number used through the XJ 1100.

So a database could start by building a list of the 2H7 style (3 letter/number) as these are the items of most interest to cross-referencing what fits what years.

This is not foolproof, though. The '81 and '82 slotted front rotors interchange with the early solid rotors even though they carry different part numbers. A field in the database should be included to indicate these 'non-official' but interchangeable items.

Some parts, like side covers, fuel tanks, and seat pans can be made to work with some modification. This would take a lot of research and contribution by listers to verify, and would result in a very sophisticated database. To go even further, it might be possible to list common non-Yamaha part numbers, such as EBC brake pad numbers, to help people find replacement parts.

Something to kick around. No easier way that I know of, just a lot of grunt work and going though microfiche...
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Yep, you're right ... the job just got bigger !

Seems to me that I should treat a Yamaha part which is a different partno (but fits) in the same way as another suppliers part eg. EBC pads.

Hmmm, I think it's best if I 'just' try to get a simple parts list going first. Then ask for help from the experts on this forum to identify which partno's are really the same. Can't see much room for debate there.
      Brian
      XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
      Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Working...
      X