Truck Topper Repaint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Topper Repaint

I just picked up a 2009 topper in very good condition for my 2011 truck. It doesn't need any work just a different color to match my truck. I was thinking of wet sanding and using Dupli-color. My question is what grit sand paper should I use (2000?) just to scuff the paint so the new paint will stick and how many cans (2-3?) of 8 oz. Dupli-color do you think I will need? It has large windows on the sides. Thoughts/ideas???
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

2000 is way too fine...600 for a repaint..is it Fiberglass or plastic?.....Fiberglass I would sand it, prime it, scuff it (with gray scotch brite) then shoot paint. How much paint depends on how big it is, does it have windows, what color are you using. Some colors cover better. The can should tell you a rough square foot estimate. If its plastic, I'd try Krylon Fusion..clean it real good with mineral spirits and paint it....supposed to bond with plastic.....that being said I've never used it. Others will hopefully chime in with their experiences.....
    Mark
    1980 xs1100g 3H5.......
    1992 Ducati 907ie
    2001 Moto Guzzi Jackal

Comment

It's fiberglass. Large windows all the way around. Color will be Chevy's Sheer Silver Metallic. Topper is presently burgundy.
      79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
      79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Working...
      X