New oil !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New oil !

Castrol motor oil says its new product,gives better protection on start up's when your engine needs it most!!!clinging molecules .Magnetech.. Just saw commercial .???
    1980xs1100.sg Pacifica Fairing ..stock.
    2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100.! ⛺

Originally posted by tomcos67 View Post
    Castrol motor oil says its new product,gives better protection on start up's when your engine needs it most!!!clinging molecules .Magnetech.. Just saw commercial .???
    Your watchin' WAY to much TV..........amd your clutch will slip WAY to much!
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
      Your watchin' WAY to much TV..........amd your clutch will slip WAY to much!
      +1
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

The heaviest Magnatec available is 10w-30, and all versions of Magnatec are energy conserving", so it's a non brainier that it is a "no-go" for any wet clutch system. "Energy Conserving" means friction modifiers are present, ergo can cause clutch slippage, period.

You can get a 10w-30 MC specific oil from a number of sources, which would help with cold start-up wear simply because it will flow quickly and reach engine parts sooner than heavier 15w-xx or 20w-xx oils. But begs the question why run a 10w-30 oil at any point with these bikes, modern 15w-40 oils flow plenty fine down to any riding temp.

Reality is these bikes are 38 years old for the '78 models and my 80 SG was made in Dec of '79, will be 36 years old in another month! Any one of theses bikes that is still running, which is a whole bunch of them, is a testament to not needing an oil that protects better at start up than a 15w-40 or 20w-50.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

+1 DEFO.the more complex the oil the more it will slip,leak etc
          79SF
          xjr ohlins shocks, tarozzi forkbrace, bsa handlebars, bsm exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
            The heaviest Magnatec available is 10w-30, and all versions of Magnatec are energy conserving", so it's a non brainier that it is a "no-go" for any wet clutch system. "Energy Conserving" means friction modifiers are present, ergo can cause clutch slippage, period.

You can get a 10w-30 MC specific oil from a number of sources, which would help with cold start-up wear simply because it will flow quickly and reach engine parts sooner than heavier 15w-xx or 20w-xx oils. But begs the question why run a 10w-30 oil at any point with these bikes, modern 15w-40 oils flow plenty fine down to any riding temp.

Reality is these bikes are 38 years old for the '78 models and my 80 SG was made in Dec of '79, will be 36 years old in another month! Any one of theses bikes that is still running, which is a whole bunch of them, is a testament to not needing an oil that protects better at start up than a 15w-40 or 20w-50.
            Thanks.!! Didn't know it was only available in one weight.I was watching T.V. saw commercial for Castro oil.! Magnatec.And posted thread.!Didn't even spell it right.....

Comment

The oil I use is the best oil in the world. No other oil is as good as the oil I use. The oil you use is crap. My engines run longer than anybody elses engines because of the oil I use. My oil is the best.
              79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
              79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Originally posted by red bandit View Post
                The oil I use is the best oil in the world. No other oil is as good as the oil I use. The oil you use is crap. My engines run longer than anybody elses engines because of the oil I use. My oil is the best.
                Debatable, but good on you.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by red bandit View Post

If you go on a rally, now you'll get your oil stolen when you park for the night.
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

If you go on a rally, now you'll get your oil stolen when you park for the night.
                    Yeah, and trbig will siphon it out of the crankcase...
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

High Side or Low side????

When out riding ,Where do you like to ride in lane .Next to center ,(crown)or shoulder line???.
                      I tend to find myself toward shoulder!!!!
                      Just wondering ??Safety? Never took any safety course....
                      Just thought to ask question in this old thread.
                      Last edited by tomcos67; 12-09-2015, 02:18 PM. Reason: more text

Comment

I use all parts of the lane at any time. The more moving around the more visible you will be to cagers. Staying in one place, they will tend to forget you are there.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

You forgot that it makes your bike faster and gives you superior mileage....
                          "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                            I use all parts of the lane at any time. The more moving around the more visible you will be to cagers. Staying in one place, they will tend to forget you are there.
                            +1 for using all the lane. The middle can be covered in oil especially on bumpy roads. On Interstate I use the left lane and favour the right side track keeping a close eye on my mirrors. I also travel at least as fast as the cars ahead of me
                            Keeping up with or overtaking the traffic means the dangers are ahead and give you the most options to take evasive action. Keep out of the blind spots especially the trucks.
                            Phil
                            Last edited by MaximPhil; 12-09-2015, 08:46 PM.
                            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                              I also travel at least as fast as the car ahead of me
                              Phil
                              Car in FRONT of you?
                              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X