Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Acquisition...... A ?????? DUCK!

XS Folks,

Well I said I had the bug for the XS11 and I do! I am very much like a kid with a new toy. I have been searching almost constantly for several weeks for one to pop-up on Craigslist. There was one much nicer than this (and cheaper), that had popped up just one day before XSSE and I didn’t have the time to go get it. It disappeared in one day.

There are SEVERAL people in the Atlanta region hunting for and snatching up the XS11’s (and other old classics) within days (or even hours) of them being posted. There are not less than four different guys posting “WTB XS1100” ads on Georgia craigslists. I resigned myself that I was just too slow and didn’t have the free time available to compete with them. I’d have to look further out…… When you do that, you also get the leftovers and the scraps…..

Yesterday, the wife and I traveled to North Carolina to pick-up Duck #3. We traveled a heck of a distance (nearly into Virginia) to purchase this 1980 SG. Honestly, as we all know, pictures are often deceiving. It didn’t look THAT bad from 400 miles away. HERE IT IS....

Even though it does have SEVERAL issues, which you folks will easily pick-up on, it’s actually in GENERALLY better condition that either of the previous duck purchases (Ugly Duck & DEAD Duck). For starters….this one started when I went to get it! The brakes worked and I was able to take it for a short spin around a farmer’s field (more on that in a minute). That is something I couldn’t do with either of the previous ducks. This duck has some real issues with wiring harness “HACKERY” and a non original speedo but the lights, signals, and most other items work which is also an improvement. As usual…. I get no seat! The one shown in the Craigslist ad was some sort of king/queen not designed for or able to be attached to an XS11, it got tossed.

Now….I’m looking for YOUR input!
    I’ve never been one of those guys that named his “Toys” as I thought it was kinda silly. I have no reference "name" for any of my hot rods. However, with my first XS11 I referred to it as the “UGLY DUCKLING”. After months and months of work I started dropping the “UGLY” off the phrase in my posts and it kinda stuck. It’s also green like a Mallard too. When I attended XSSE and met so many of the good folks from this board several people introduced me as “The Duck Owner” or asked “Are you the guy with the Duck”. I hadn’t thought more than a handful of people had paid much attention to that rebuild and some of those were not people from the SE region. I was surprised at XSSE.

A few weeks ago I purchased XS11 #2 and it was clear that was a DEAD DUCK. It was intended (and probably still is) to be a parts donor. DEAD DUCK seems to fit well!

In keeping with the theme and since I have become fond of the naming convention, I need to find something to refer to this thing as! It’s also an Ugly Duck but that’s been taken and if I have my way it won’t be ugly for long! A good friend on the board suggested “Wild Duck” and there is a book of the title as well, but I’ve never read it. The bride and I also thought of “Carolina Duck” or “Mayberry Duck” as this “Duck” was purchased in Mount Airy (aka. Mayberry), North Carolina. What do you folks think??? I'm very open to suggestions.

The Overall Plan – Undetermined….
    My original plan was to make this machine into a better equipped overnighter/long hauler than THE DUCK. Vetter Fairing, Hard bags, etc. to be used for trips that are greater in length than would be comfortable for The Duck with it’s small windscreen and soft bags. I could also invest in some suspension upgrades for The Duck making it more nimble for use on The Dragon and other twisty roads!

However, my son is starting to get interested in riding with us and he would prefer another copy of The Duck. Honestly, he likes the cut-up style and shorter bars of the Dead Duck making it slimly possible the Dead one might come back to life some day? One of my older sons, Derek, has also expressed an interest joining along... Seems another Stockish SG would be best?

The garage is getting a little crowded with XS11’s!!!!!
    This is how I left it yesterday....

As a result of my recent purchases, I was obligated to take Nancy to the beach as she had requested. Currently, I’m in Panama City typing from our hotel…..Hope I don’t get caught! Promised NO YAMAHA talk until Monday!!!! I do believe the bank account is also closed for a few weeks!

Catch ya’ll later…

KURT
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Well if it will be going to the young one you could call it the duckling.
    81 LH in process
    09 vstar 1300
    only allowed 2

Comment

Names?

Well, Kurt ...

Now that you have 3 XS11 Ducks, you could call them ...

Huey, Dewey, and Louie!
      Marco

Current bikes:
      1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
      1979 Honda CBX
      2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
      WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Originally posted by Prisoner6 View Post
        Well, Kurt ...

Now that you have 3 XS11 Ducks, you could call them ...

Huey, Dewey, and Louie!
        now that quacks me up...LOL
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Duck dynasty?

This duck will be my first attempt at multi color. I am planning on a silver base coat with a blue secondary. Wonder if there are any silver and blue duck species?

Tc suggested I was gonna have a duck dynasty.

Kurt via cell phone
          (Don't tell Nancy)
          Kurt Boehringer
          Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Kurt,
            I like Mayberry Duck. Unlikely you will buy another from Mayberry
            Duck Dynasty may be good for a banner over the garage door to go with those Yamaha Flags you have
            You have surely been bitten by the XS bug
            You are among friends for we are all equally crazy
            Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Name

Kurt:

I've been biting my nails since Friday to see how it turned out for you.

Looks promising- little or no rust on the cosmetics... and it still has the air box.

In addition to he fairing and hard bags, your wish list includes seat, wiring, side cover(s), speedo, new paint, and maybe polishing the covers?

I know you'll be all over the brakes, valve clearances, and carbs.

Do you like the exhaust system so far?

I vote for "Blue Goose".
              -Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Started on MAYBERRY

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                Kurt:
                I've been biting my nails since Friday to see how it turned out for you.
                Looks promising- little or no rust on the cosmetics... and it still has the air box.
                In addition to he fairing and hard bags, your wish list includes seat, wiring, side cover(s), speedo, new paint, and maybe polishing the covers?
                I know you'll be all over the brakes, valve clearances, and carbs.
                Do you like the exhaust system so far?
                I vote for "Blue Goose".

Thanks Mike!

We returned from the Beach mid-afternoon and I've already dug into Mayberry a bit. Nancy is in favor of MAYBERRY as the Andy Griffith show was one of her favs and she did travel along with me the 800+ miles to get it.... I do kinda like Blue Goose though.
                • First job was to get a vin check/verification done by the local law enforcement and they have cleared the bike. They provide a certification that the bike does not show as stolen in NCIC (?) and the sworn officer's completed form is required by Georgia for registration for a vehicle this old. DONE, bike is CLEAN.
                • The wiring is "Hackey" but repairable and not nearly the mess that The Duck was. I've purchased 5 ATC fuses and will do the same style upgrade on Mayberry.
                • All the engine side covers on the DEAD DUCK are polished to perfection and it was my intention to pass these along to Mayberry. HOWEVER, it's looking like Mayberry will probably run again someday so stealing everything off of him is something I may try to avoid.... Andreas has my list of needs and will ship several items in a week or so....
                • I WASHED it this afternoon. My drive through the Farmer's field picked up some cow dung which we had to smell all the way home!
                • I haven't attempted to start it since bringing it home because I want to resolve the wiring issues where fuses were pulled and the wires tied together. I want fuse protection. The coil pick-up area is also "HACKEY" and is slightly damaged mechanically from being dropped. I need all that fixed before I try to start it again.
                • The ride in North Carolina was very short but proved the motor is decent. The Kerker is too loud for my liking, is cosmetically damaged, and does not allow for a center stand. The Kerker will be tossed and a center stand will need to be acquired.
                • The air box is decent but was held together with zip ties.... Dummy lost 3 of 4 wing nuts so I need to get them.
                • I have nice side covers from the DEAD DUCK that will be used on this ride. If the DEAD DUCK rides again it will not be in stock form. Probably something along the line of the Green bike Marty has posted up a couple times. It won't need the stock side covers.

OVERALL, it will be a LITTLE easier to make this look as good as The Duck. If my boys (Derek 26 & Karl 20) are really into driving around with me and mom then the Touring model (Vetter & Bags) is probably out in favor of another stock-ISH SG bike.

I will probably start a thread in the Discussion area to work along with as I try to recover this bike. Fortunately, I've gained a great deal of knowledge with THE DUCK but there are a few different issues with Mayberry that I will probably need some help with......

Respectfully,
                KURT
                Kurt Boehringer
                Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Dont toss that kerker...
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Duck it.

Cor, luv a duck, is a cockney expression that my dad used. But Huey Duey and Louie is good.
                    Mine are Yamie, Laramie and the spares bike.
                    Or you could go with other duck names. Mallard, Merganser and Bufflehead.
                    Lots more in your bird book.

Unkle Crusty*

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                      Dont toss that kerker...
                      Here on my little screen, it looks like a Jardine.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Kerker will get removed.... probably not tossed in trash.

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                        Here on my little screen, it looks like a Jardine.
                        Marty,
                        It's a Kerker. It's engraved in the mounting tab even though the PO ripped off the fancy Kerker label, leaving two holes .

I will Stainless Steel weld the holes shut from where the label was removed and try to clean this system up a little bit for emergency/back-up use only. There are a couple small dents in the down tubes, not horrible but still dented. Somewhere here I saw somebody had a little trick from removing mild dents from header tubes and I'll have to find that thread.

The Kerker COULD end up on the Dead Duck as that machine has head pipes that could be salvaged for Mayberry, with some Harley Muffs added.

KURT
                        Kurt Boehringer
                        Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                        1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                        1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Hey Kurt,

I understand the desire to have a CenterStand. I'm not totally familiar with Kerkers, is the baffle removable?? If it's welded in place....you're a great welder, I would think you could cut it out, take it out and fashion a better level of baffling onto/into it and then weld it back together!? JAT!?

BTW, The Donor frame RichV gifted me is actually an 81SH, so it'll be a perfect swap. I'll then be able to cut off those tail pieces for your Dead Duck rebuild. BTW, send me a PM with your snail mail addy!

T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Exhaust Dents

Exhaust dents:

Post#12 http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=exhaust+dents

Post#13 http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t=exhaust+ball

You and I would remember the latter one.
                            -Mike
                            _________
                            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Working...
                            X