How to revive a 81 1100 SH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to revive a 81 1100 SH

I pulled a bike out of a corner of a shed that looks complete. The head and carbs are in a carboard box. Everthing looks original, the chrome has pitting, dust on everything, orignal tires, 10707 on the odometer. From reading different treads in this forum these bikes sound to be a pretty strong bike to ride. Question: what would be a good way to revive this bike?

Chip

Welcome to the group!!

Take a look at this link

http://www.xs11.com/faq/neglectedxs.shtml
    Gary
    79sf
    78e

Comment

Hey there Chip,

Congrats(hopefully!?) on such a find! My concern is that you say the HEAD is off? If so, then WHY? Sitting in a shed, good chance lots of rust inside the engine/cylinders, might have to have a big bore kit to revive the engine, not to mention what's wrong with the head....bent valves, trashed cam. What's the P.O. say about why it was apart?? Carbs are a pain, but workable. Would like to hear more about the engine before recommending putting $$ into it, and it will take some $$ to get it right and safe!
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Welcome to the group. Good luck on the revive process
        "Watchout for the guy behind the guy in front of you"

1980 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Chip

Welcome to our humble home. Pay attention to what Topcat says on why motor is already apart. It could cost some bucks to fix. I think you should donate to the Pathfinder's XS Garage (Home for wayward XS's) LOL. Don't worry with allot of time, some cussing, somemore time to do the carbs three times, brakes twice, and even more money, oh yeh and more money, you can get it back on the road.
          There's always a way, figure it out.
          78XS11E

Comment

Working...
          X