Mike's Green Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike's Green Coils

I've searched on here but really can't find anything. I see where there was a longevity issue with the black coils but I can't find anything about that with the green ones.

Educate me please?
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

The problem I had with the Green ones is that they act like rev limiters. I could never get Betsy to push past 8K with 'em, and I think it's because they have so much voltage. They put out 45Kv at 12.5V input, and it goes up to 75Kv with 14.5V input. I think they just sucked more power than the system could supply. But then again, I had a slide needle issue too, so that probably contributed to the problem - if not outright causing it.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
      The problem I had with the Green ones is that they act like rev limiters.
      So, did the Dyna's fix that or the carb repair?
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        Betsy took a four year Rip VanWinkle type nap, and when I put her back on the road earlier this year I went through the carbs and replaced the coils. I had a stutter at 3.5-4K and it wouldn't push to redline, and having just fixed the identical problem on my brother's XS I checked the slides. The needles that were installed didn't have any markings on them, but I had a set of 5GZ6's in my stash, so I swapped out the needles. After that she ran like Hillary Clinton from a room full of reporters.

What I think you will notice first on the Mikes coils, as you will with any hot coils, is the cold starting. It doesn't take much to start - basically just a tap on the starter button. With properly working coils you'll also get better throttle response. They definitely make a difference.

I wouldn't trust the Green Monsters long term, but they should give you some insight on the difference hot coils make. And if you like what you see from the Mikes coils, slap some Dyans on there and you'll REALLY like it. I think the 45Kv is just too much, but the 30-35Kv that the Dynas put out is pretty much perfect.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

And one other thing - if you make up high tension wires for the Mikes coils, you can use the same wires on a set of Dynas. And I saw one seller on ebay that had new Dynas for $118 without wires, so that could save you a few bucks.

Comment

I haven't yet had any issues with Mikes Green coils in 10000 or so miles. Although with the slight difference in price I would just get the Dyna Coils.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
              I haven't yet had any issues with Mikes Green coils in 10000 or so miles. Although with the slight difference in price I would just get the Dyna Coils.
              Already got the Mikes coils, just wondering if I can trust them if I install them.

I put more than 10,000 on this summer.
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

+1.......lol.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hey Greg,

I'm pretty sure that I read from at least one of our members that put the Mikes Green Monsters on that they also died. They are Dyna Clones, but just that clones....and they do NOT come with any warranty whereas the Dynas have a 1 year warranty, I think Accel has the same. YMMV.

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                    Hey Greg,

I'm pretty sure that I read from at least one of our members that put the Mikes Green Monsters on that they also died. They are Dyna Clones, but just that clones....and they do NOT come with any warranty whereas the Dynas have a 1 year warranty, I think Accel has the same. YMMV.

T.C.
                    Understood, but one isn't a good basis for judgement. There has to be a better representation than "maybe one", but thanks TC. I know there were several years ago that seemed to swear by the green ones. I can't find anything negative about them. I was looking for something like what Nate came with but with more use on the coils. I had ridden 10K miles by august this year
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I just did a search, found that Fredintoon's son had one go bad on his 650, and another member VGdonivich or something like that had one go bad also.

DB had reported a problem a while back but wasn't sure if it was coils or carbs, but I think finally found it was carbs.

Glad to see that Nate has been able to put 10K miles on them, there were several members that decided to put them on their bikes after reading DB's review, Terry/TW1980 or similar, and haven't seen any of them report any followup failures? SO....the green ones may be made by a different manufacturer than the black ones, and so possibly better quality.

With your propensity for long trips, you might want to be sure you have a pair of those VF1000's in your pack as backup replacements.

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                        With your propensity for long trips, you might want to be sure you have a pair of those VF1000's in your pack as backup replacements.

T.C.
                        My thoughts exactly except it would probably be a set of H stockers. Everybody already gives me a bad time about how much crap I pack.................unless they need something.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

My thoughts exactly except it would probably be a set of H stockers. Everybody already gives me a bad time about how much crap I pack.................unless they need something.
                          I don't recall ever giving you "crap" about stuff you bring on trips...
                          Just when you leave some of that "crap" that turns out to be vital at 14,000 ft. back in Wichita... and costs us 2 days in Durango...

LOL!
                          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I'd pack the VF1000's BEFORE the stock! Less room, and they WILL work..... I've been trying to get through a problem that is part coil, part carb..
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG
                            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

XJtoPlay......check your PM's
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X