Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering buying a hardtail. Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
    It's bikes like this that give Harley owners a bad name....

You'll almost never see one like this in a tour group for the simple reason they're just not practical. For a 'look at me' bike or bar-hopper, sure, buy it. With the unsprung seat, the ride will be brutal on anything but real smooth roads. Run the rear tire soft (about 25 PSI), that's your suspension. It's got the 2 gallon peanut tank, so max range will be 100 miles or less; probably less, given the open pipes. The low seating position is hard on your back even with suspension.

Even at all that, that bike is still overpriced for what it is. Basically a lower-end Sportster with a custom frame, if I couldn't duplicate that bike for less than the asking price I'll turn in my tools....
    Hardtail XS650's and are the rage right now. So I wouldn't just put HD owners in that bucket.

If you can make me that bike for $3k, you've got a sale! Cause I'm sure you wouldn't charge me labor
    Rob - 79 SF

Comment

They are fun to ride..a lot lighter and with no suspension, interesting to say the least.......I have a 'bad back', couple discs, like a lot of us but set up right they're not bad.....learn how to bend forward when a bridge joint comes up, stuff like that...I always wear a belt so, thats recommended....
      I built this a few years ago...fat tires, sprung seat, a blast to ride....i had to learn to kick it with my left leg as my right knee is smoked......
      Mark
      1980 xs1100g 3H5.......
      1992 Ducati 907ie
      2001 Moto Guzzi Jackal

Comment

Mark,
        Now that's hitting all the cool factors! Tell me you still have it......

I imagine seat springs work different than swing arm shocks. The seat springs might launch you on a big unexpected bump...right?
        Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by Bikes View Post
          They are fun to ride..a lot lighter and with no suspension, interesting to say the least.......I have a 'bad back', couple discs, like a lot of us but set up right they're not bad.....learn how to bend forward when a bridge joint comes up, stuff like that...I always wear a belt so, thats recommended....
          I built this a few years ago...fat tires, sprung seat, a blast to ride....i had to learn to kick it with my left leg as my right knee is smoked......
          All your answers in one post........
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhammer2u View Post
            Mark,
            Now that's hitting all the cool factors! Tell me you still have it......

I imagine seat springs work different than swing arm shocks. The seat springs might launch you on a big unexpected bump...right?
            No, Rob....she's gone.....probably the one I shoulda kept.....oh well.....
            Seat springs are marginally effective.....but..something about a kick only, rigid frame, headlight/taillight, painfully fun to ride, bike....everyone should try it...

I will say my eleven is fast becoming a favorite bike to ride....the more I ride it the smoother it gets......sweet.......
            Mark
            1980 xs1100g 3H5.......
            1992 Ducati 907ie
            2001 Moto Guzzi Jackal

Comment

"Looking cool": $6,000

A pain-free back:

PRICELESS!
              Last edited by Prisoner6; 09-26-2015, 07:45 AM.
              Marco

Current bikes:
              1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
              1979 Honda CBX
              2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
              WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

hardtail

Prior to 1955, ALL the Harleys were hardtail, but with a big sprung seat. The hydraulic seat post on all of mine were worn out, so had to put up the passenger spring which made the seat very stiff and hard on the back. But, I was young and foolish back then. Now, I would not even consider a hardtail. To each his own.
                put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                79 F (Blueballs)
                79 SF (Redbutt)
                81 LH (organ donor)
                79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                rover has spoken

Comment

As someone who tried a hardtail when young, I would say if the seat is NOT sprung, and the rear tire is NOT a large, high profile, DON'T! Without those two items, even with a belt you would be lucky to get 10 miles out, and then back home without a LOT of pain. I'm NOT saying don't get one, I am saying the one you are looking at was POORLY DESIGNED! Look around for a "donor bike" that runs well, like a cheap sportster or XS650, and talk with a local shop to have the hardtail build for you. I think you would be much happier, and it would not cost $6K!
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

It's not poorly designed, I'm sure it was purposely designed that way. Some people weld a steel pan to the frame....cause that's what they want. If function was the goal, they would not have stripped the half the bike down.

You've all talked me out of it. I had my doubts, but ya'll confirmed. I'm too old for this $h!t
                    Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by mrhammer2u View Post
                      It's not poorly designed, I'm sure it was purposely designed that way. Some people weld a steel pan to the frame....cause that's what they want. If function was the goal, they would not have stripped the half the bike down.

You've all talked me out of it. I had my doubts, but ya'll confirmed. I'm too old for this $h!t
                      With age comes better final decissions.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                        With age comes better final decissions.
                        Well, yes but....BAD decisions make for good stories.....
                        Mark
                        1980 xs1100g 3H5.......
                        1992 Ducati 907ie
                        2001 Moto Guzzi Jackal

Comment

Hard Tail...

Tough looking Bike!! It hurts just looking at it ....Good luck....
                          1980xs1100.sg Pacifica Fairing ..stock.
                          2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100.! ⛺

Comment

http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/C...reak-115590588

or this
                            http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/C...stom-115456750

this will do you way better
                            Last edited by hamjam; 09-27-2015, 01:22 PM.
                            Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                            Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
                            and SOXS
                            2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Working...
                            X