Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering buying a hardtail. Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering buying a hardtail. Thoughts?

I'm kicking around the idea of buying a hardtail but I've never owned one. It would only be for local riding, maybe 75 miles 1 way at most. I understand the obvious but I've been polling and reading to get some insight. Some people love em, and then there is the extreme other side who claims to have had blood in their pee which I assume was from a very long ride on a very rough road and seat with no springs or cushion.

I've ridden one once (only a couple minutes) and it was a lot of fun feeling every nook and cranny on the road. Mostly I love the look.

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the $5-$6k to buy a "cool looking" bike. Money "is" an object which is why I'm hesitant.

I'm 38 FWIW

Thoughts?
    Rob - 79 SF

Don't plan on riding it much and I hope you have a good chiropractor.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

thats alot of cash for "looking cool" for that money there are so many other options I'd consider before buying a hardtail...I have an XS1100 I'd sell you for $3500...but then you might chop it up......Just kidding
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        Don't plan on riding it much and I hope you have a good chiropractor.
        I hear that a lot. But my buddy has a 69 Triumph hardtail with springer seat that he loves. We ride all over the place together. But he also weighs about 65lbs less than me. Not sure if that's a factor? I assume my extra weight is bad for the spine but better for ride quality (traction/stability),....so I hear.

He's the only 1st hand source I have though. All other reviews are online.
        Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
          thats alot of cash for "looking cool" for that money there are so many other options I'd consider before buying a hardtail...I have an XS1100 I'd sell you for $3500...but then you might chop it up......Just kidding
          I plan to keep my XS11,..which is chopped up already...lol. But still has suspension.
          Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Get yourself a kidney belt, and hope you don't hit any bumps going around corners. A suspension that's too stiff tends to bounce, and on a motorcycle you only have two points of contact with the ground. I want my two points in full contact with the ground all time. My $.02
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

By the way...here's the beauty that's been mesmerizing me into doing something dumb...... like buying a hardtail!!

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/5234387051.html

Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Man! That thing doesn't even have a sprung seat! And just looking at where the footpegs are, it looks like your legs would be way bent. And those pipes look like a muffler burn waiting to happen. But it does look cool, though....

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

yeah its cool looking scoot but theres no way I would waste my money on that...there are so many other bikes out there that you could really ride and use...you're gonna spend more time gawking at it than riding it...all style no substance...my opinion is to forget this ...but then that means you'll prolly buy it...good luck with that...
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

$6000 for a motorcycle with a rear fender that looks like this?! Everything else looks real nice, and then he put a rat bike fender on it.

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                      $6000 for a motorcycle with a rear fender that looks like this?! Everything else looks real nice, and then he put a rat bike fender on it.
                      Fender is from a 34 Ford. It wasn't a cut corner. I dig it.

All of you are right,...it's not built for comfort.

The pegs would need to be under you on a hardtail otherwise it's a guaranteed herniated disc...instead of probable

I'm concerned about the seat as well. Easy enough to put a springer seat on tho.

As far as better for the money,...that's very subjective. I was specifically looking for a disc brake (front & rear), evo, hardtail, bobber. Price is actually low for this cup of tea.

Buuuuuttttttt.....I'm still concerned about actually riding the damn thing. Thanks for all the input guys!
                      Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Here's an idea for you - take your SF, remove the rear shocks and bolt some steel bars in their place. Ride it around for a while, and see what you think of hardtails afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                          Here's an idea for you - take your SF, remove the rear shocks and bolt some steel bars in their place. Ride it around for a while, and see what you think of hardtails afterwards.
                          I thought of that. With the Progressive rears and custom seat I have, my bum needs a rest after about an hour of riding as is.

If I lost 50lbs I might not be so worried about the hardtail. I love food more than I love that bike tho
                          Rob - 79 SF

Comment

It's bikes like this that give Harley owners a bad name....

You'll almost never see one like this in a tour group for the simple reason they're just not practical. For a 'look at me' bike or bar-hopper, sure, buy it. With the unsprung seat, the ride will be brutal on anything but real smooth roads. Run the rear tire soft (about 25 PSI), that's your suspension. It's got the 2 gallon peanut tank, so max range will be 100 miles or less; probably less, given the open pipes. The low seating position is hard on your back even with suspension.

Even at all that, that bike is still overpriced for what it is. Basically a lower-end Sportster with a custom frame, if I couldn't duplicate that bike for less than the asking price I'll turn in my tools....
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by mrhammer2u View Post
                              I'm kicking around the idea of buying a hardtail but I've never owned one. It would only be for local riding, maybe 75 miles 1 way at most. I understand the obvious but I've been polling and reading to get some insight. Some people love em, and then there is the extreme other side who claims to have had blood in their pee which I assume was from a very long ride on a very rough road and seat with no springs or cushion.

I've ridden one once (only a couple minutes) and it was a lot of fun feeling every nook and cranny on the road. Mostly I love the look.

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the $5-$6k to buy a "cool looking" bike. Money "is" an object which is why I'm hesitant.

I'm 38 FWIW

Thoughts?
                              'love the look' and reality are two different worlds. Lack of safety and your backside ARE reality. Don't even consider the idea.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X