The best laid plans - - -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best laid plans - - -

On a whim, I entered Monster in a car, truck and motorcycle show tomorrow and I spent this afternoon washing and waxing Monster. Then we went for a ride. As luck would have it, a plastic shopping bag was kicked up by an opposing car and it went right on the hot engine and melted to the exhaust. What a mess. It isn’t coming off easily. What I can not get off hopefully will burn off on the way to the event about a 40 minuet ride. First time this happened and now that it has, I’m somewhat surprised it has not happened before.
    1979 XS 1100 Special - Nicknamed "MONSTER"

ATC fuse box
    Braded stainless brake lines
    4/2 aftermarket exhaust(temp until stock is re-chromed )
    V-Max auto cam chain adjuster
    Brake light modulator with reserve brake light bypass
    Vetter Windjammer III faring
    Tkat Fork Brace

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed; unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms”
    James Madison, The Federalists Papers

That friggin Murphy always seems to show up when you least want to see him. Hope you get her shined up in time.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I expect it will take compound and power tools to get the remains of that bag off. Not much you can do after pulling away what you can. I bet it will stink for most of your ride to morrow Have fun at the show.
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

If the pipe is chrome, MEK will get it right off. BTDT
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Thanks for the comebacks. Great idea with the MEK.

ATC fuse box
          Tkat Fork Brace

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed; unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms”

Comment

Just so you know, it HAS happened before! Nevada, on one of our Tahoe rides, Matt had a plastic bag blow into his exhaust. His bike at the time was VERY NICE, and VERY clean! Because of the coating on the pipes, he ended up re-doing them IIRC.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Final Results

The plastic came off with MEK.
              My time at the show was pleasant and turned out as I had expected. I met with great folks though the motorcycle turnout was smaller than I had expected. Every participant received a participation trophy and Monster fit in that category. Winners of the car, truck and motorcycle groups received a plack. Overall, I would like to do it again sometime.

ATC fuse box
              Tkat Fork Brace

Comment

Great!

I look forward to seeing you Friday at XS SE!
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                  Just so you know, it HAS happened before! Nevada, on one of our Tahoe rides, Matt had a plastic bag blow into his exhaust. His bike at the time was VERY NICE, and VERY clean! Because of the coating on the pipes, he ended up re-doing them IIRC.

That was unfortunate for Matt.
                  After 50+ years of riding and at least 40 years of plastic bags until now I had not even considered this would happen. When plastic bags became popular, I thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. Tie the handles together and instant shopping saddle bags. There were a couple of times when my bike was the only transportation my wife and I had. I had managed up to 6 bags at a time. Yep, I did have busted bag syndrome a couple of times.

ATC fuse box
                  Tkat Fork Brace

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                    Great!

I look forward to seeing you Friday at XS SE!
                    You bet! I am going to be hansom devil in my blue XS/XJ Eleven Rally T-shirt!

ATC fuse box
                    Tkat Fork Brace

Comment

Originally posted by je2wheeler View Post
                      You bet! I am going to be hansom devil in my blue XS/XJ Eleven Rally T-shirt!
                      Hi je2wheeler,
                      There will be two kinds of hansom devils in XS/XJ Rally Shirt
                      Those with White beards and those without

Look for me among the White beards Looking forward to meeting you.

You have a fine example of a Special and only the gurus on here would notice the exhaust is not stock. Nice trophy.
                      Phil
                      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

You have a fine example of a Special and only the gurus on here would notice the exhaust is not stock. Nice trophy.
                        Phil
                        That MAC 4/2 is a stopgap until I can have the stock refinished. I had hoped to have them finished before the rally but that is not going to happen. The original right side had broken just aft of the collector 3 years ago. I had it welded but it failed again and everyone I took it to after that said was a lost cause. I acquired the best replacement I could find from ebay and it needs to be refinished, in poor shape. It too had broken and is welded. I can not find anyone who will recrome exhaust, it will contaminate the solution tank.
                        Now I ride and the MAC is far louder than I can stand and I must use ear plugs. I had another plan to cut the end of the mufflers off, remove the baffle to er-pack them but I found the mufflers are articulated and not glass pack. My next plan was Thrush glass packs but even the smallest diameter with 2.5 inch open is too big and will interfere with the rear brake. So for now, I'm kinda stuck.

ATC fuse box
                        Tkat Fork Brace

Comment

Working...
                        X