Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• safety course

https://www.ottawasafetycouncil.org/...-up---m1-exit/

I got thru the lecture last night, barely, lots of boring videos and the instructor was without a pulse. Also, I didn't like all the references to death. Never did the instructor comment on any of the positives of motorcycle riding. it was like a sex education course that warns you all about aids, herpes, crabs, syphilis, and well have a good time and good luck!
    Frame: 79 XS1100S
    Engine: 81 XS1100S
    Carbs: 78-79 BS34

Gf bike: 78 XS650S
    Carbs: 70-79 BS38

Pics: http://tinypic.com/2mpmkpjb

Another ripoff...When I started riding street bikes there was no such thing as a safety course or a MC endorsement on your license...nor were helmets or insurance a requirement... 39 years of on the road/street riding is the only course i have had...like the old days "flying by the seat of your pants" YMMV
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

riding course------none

I have been riding since 1954, never heard of endorsements, insurance requirements, rider courses back then. The bikes available then all had foot clutch, hand shift, bikes were very clumsy and hard to handle, Indians were left hand throttle and right hand shift. Many of the old Harleys and Indians had car tires on them. Springer front ends, Indians had sliding pillar rear, Harleys were rigid. All were heavy and compared to todays bikes, pathetic, but we rode them anyhow. Very few riders of today would be able to handle them.
      put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
      79 F (Blueballs)
      79 SF (Redbutt)
      81 LH (organ donor)
      79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
      76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
      rover has spoken

Comment

i agree with both you guys, but only reason the gf and I are doing the course is to pay less in insurance. I learned nothing that I didn't already know from reading the motorcycle handbook that cost $15.

Comment

Never have had the course but know several who have taken the advanced riders course and we're pleased. They claimed to learn more about accident avoidance and bike control. Some benifits in Texas are no need for extra insurance for helmetless riding, pass the course and receive your license without going through the dmv testing, and of course lower insurance. Full disclosure my club president use to teach the classes but did it on boss hoss.
          81 LH in process
          09 vstar 1300
          only allowed 2

Comment

Never had a course either,a few mishaps on the trail with my dirt bike but that's normal.
            My buddy just bought a bike a few years back and I told him about counter steering..he didn't believe me
            He took a safety course and golly gee wiz they talked about counter steering..we kid around alot but I will never steer somebody wrong about safety on a bike.

See you some where down the road.
            '80 XS1100 SG
            Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Originally posted by Blank Slate View Post
              i agree with both you guys, but only reason the gf and I are doing the course is to pay less in insurance. I learned nothing that I didn't already know from reading the motorcycle handbook that cost $15.
              Hi Blank Slate,
              I am sorry to hear your experience of the Safety course has not been very good so far. I know a few instructors and I can tell you they make their course very interesting and informative.
              Hang in there and pay attention even in your sea of mud there will be some golden nuggets.
              The insurance discount is significant.
              Phil
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I took the MSF about 5 years ago. The state pays the majority of the fee so residents only pay $70. I took it because I moved here and never renewed my endorsement. Been ridin' dirty for about 20 years. lol.

The instructors were awesome. The whole thing was fantastic. Learned a little. I have recommended it to a BUNCH of friends. They all eventually took the course and passed. Heck, my wife took it and now has more 'cycles than I do.

The state also offers the advanced riding class, but I really don't feel like whooping my '78E over the 5 day class.
                1) Fire up Internet Explorer
                2) http://www.yahoo.com
                3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
                4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

Comment

Training is important. Sorry your instructors were boring. It takes a good trainer to keep material interesting, and to show riders, especially veterans, why they need to do something differently. I face the same challenge in my firearms classes. "I've been doing this for forty years and there's no reason to be concerned about where I point an unloaded gun", etc. I recognize that attitude among some of the posters in this thread.
                  "Venturered" 80 XS1100G - "DoraMax" getting sort of resto/destro ed.

Yeah it's a pretty blue, but just because you're old is no excuse to buy a bagger. Fortunately I have wrenches.

Comment

Ok day 1 was the classroom material which was boring. But day 2 in the parking lot was very good training. I'm exhausted from a long 8 hour day. Picked up a lot of good hanits to work on like shoulder check, clutch control in a curve, uturns, going in a circle without looking at the ground. I can definitely see how it will ingrain good habits on the road. We lost two students it was so intense

Comment

If you lost two students, you had a good instructor!
                      I need to take the advance course, but it is in a different county, and cost a few hundred dollars here....
                      Oh, and Puskrat, I agree on firearm safety! I was in the army '73 to 75, and learned safety and target shooting in the early 60's from the NRA. #1 rule is a weapon is ALWAYS loaded!!! #2, only point it at what you want a hole in.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

We both passed our M1 exit so we'll have our M2's after the 60 day mandatory wait expires. Instructor's her advice to me was to be less cocky. Uh what?

Comment

http://youtu.be/rHiDm01S1l8

Video

Comment

congratulations , it would appear that you have now been told that the entire universe is out to kill you and as such, you will act accordingly
                            Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                            Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
                            and SOXS
                            2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

I thought about taking a course just to see what it is all about.We have an instructor in our Retired and Riding group.Might talk to him tuesday when we meet.
                              I don't go fast so that is not a problem but going slow is.Taking curves I have a tendency to go deep then lean it over,just my style.
                              Many of you are truck drivers or x drivers like I am so you have a tendency to be really aware of what is in front and around you at all times.
                              At my shop many riders have been killed by crashing,hitting deer or a cage pulled in front of them.
                              I take riding seriously so you new to the sport,take it easy for awhile especially if on the 11,it is not a toy and will get away from you before you know it.
                              If you have dirt bike experience that will help alot in my opinion.

See you somewhere down the road
                              '80 XS1100 SG
                              Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Working...
                              X