Die cast emblems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Die cast emblems

A couple weeks ago I lost a side cover emblem while riding, and since I'm getting ready to repaint, I decided to do the full monty and spring for die cast emblems. They came in today, and they are absolutely beautiful. Since they're made out of metal I have some better options for mounting, and I might just thread the studs and bolt them on. Or I might cross drill the studs and use cotter pins and double sided tape. For what these things cost I'm going to make darn sure they don't come off!

The only paint on them is the black. The gold is the color of the metal showing through.

I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Nice....
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

BTW if you thread them...use some blue loctite...
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

The company that sells them recommends double sided tape or silicon adhesive with 'E' clips. They're recessed on the back so there's room for some thick double sided tape without pushing them out from the side cover. It'll be a little while before I put them on, so I've got some time to cogitate on it.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I think lock washers would be better than lock tight. I bet the metal wouldn't hold up to unscrewing with the lock tight.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Those are sweeeeetttt!
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Ben,

Swamp Thing has those metal emblems. A guy in Austrailia was making them at the time (2006?) and they were available from Old Bike Barn
              Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
                Ben,

Swamp Thing has those metal emblems. A guy in Austrailia was making them at the time (2006?) and they were available from Old Bike Barn
                The ones I got were shipped from Australia, and I ordered them from KZ900.com. Probably made by the same outfit as yours. I wish they had the tank badges for a standard, but I'm only seeing them for specials. If they had 'em for standards I'd be on them like a monkey on a cupcake.

Comment

Back then Old Bike Barn had the standard emblems and they are very nice, give them a look.

BTW, because they are metal, they shrink when they cool out of the mold. Therefore, the screw holes (and posts, i think) don't exactly line up. I had to drill and tap new holes in the tank flange (VERY CAREFULLY)
                  Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Back then Old Bike Barn had the standard emblems and they are very nice, give them a look.

BTW, because they are metal, they shrink when they cool out of the mold. Therefore, the screw holes (and posts, i think) don't exactly line up. I had to drill and tap new holes in the tank flange (VERY CAREFULLY)
                    I checked one yesterday on the side panel that lost it's emblem, and the holes lined up perfectly. KZ900.com said the posts were thicker than on the original plastic emblems, but they fit through the holes perfectly.

I have noticed a couple outfits selling tank emblems they say will fit both standards and specials, but I don't know how that could be true. They're a few millimeters different.

I've got a few old tank badges, and I know a few tricks for restoring them. Might give that a try for the tank badges. Here's a link to a thread I posted about seven years ago on emblem refinishing and repair. The second page even shows putting the "Y" back on a broken tank emblem. Quick, cheap, easy badge refinishing

Comment

Ben,

But of course...nuthin but the best for Swamp Girl... Did you see the LED lights I used to replace those bullet lights you had installed as running brake lights??? Bitchin'
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I got emblems also but from Diablo they also came from Australia and I do suggest that you put dual sided tape on. If you do not these are much heavier than the plastic and if you did not spend a good amount of time getting them to curve to fit the covers they will vibrate. They will tend to wear the paint and wear the holes they go threw and may come off. The other issue is if you form them well and use the tape they will not collect dust underneath and then when you wash you not are wiping residue 3 and 4 times draining from them.

Do it right and do it once.
                        To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                        1980 G Silverbird
                        Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                        1198 Overbore kit
                        Grizzly 660 ACCT
                        Barnett Clutch Springs
                        R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                        122.5 Main Jets
                        ACCT Mod
                        Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                        Antivibe Bar ends
                        Rear trunk add-on
                        http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
                          I got emblems also but from Diablo they also came from Australia and I do suggest that you put dual sided tape on. If you do not these are much heavier than the plastic and if you did not spend a good amount of time getting them to curve to fit the covers they will vibrate. They will tend to wear the paint and wear the holes they go threw and may come off. The other issue is if you form them well and use the tape they will not collect dust underneath and then when you wash you not are wiping residue 3 and 4 times draining from them.

Do it right and do it once.
                          These have some curve to them. How did you curve yours?

Comment

A few years back, I needed some side emblems for my Maxim, and someone told me about the guy in Australia.

I had one good emblem, but needed 2.

He had some for Specials, and some 750's... but none for a Maxim 1100.

I worked a deal with him, and sent him my one good emblem.
                            He made copies from it, and sent me a pair at a discounted price, and returned my one good one I had sent.

If he's still in business, and doesn't have the emblem you need, he can make them if someone will send him a good one to copy.

Mine came back top notch quality.

I posted a thread about it, with pics. Probably about 4 years ago.
                            Might come up with his details by doing a search.
                            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                              I posted a thread about it, with pics. Probably about 4 years ago. Might come up with his details by doing a search.
                              Fount it. I swear, if you want to find old threads on XS11 you're best bet is Google. Maxim Badges

I'll have to give him a jingle regarding standard tank badges. According to the currency converter it looks like badges can be had direct from the "guy" for half what the middle man gets. $54.50 australian = $38.11 american. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Working...
                              X