Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close the Windows, the flies are getting in

I am the Grandpa part of the equation (actually great-grandpa). I have been using computers for 30+ years. I was lost at the beginning and have not found my way out of the forest yet. I gave up on a desktop years ago knowing I would never use it to even a fraction of its capability. My lap top is windows 7 and has hardware or is it software that came with it I have never opened. It is getting old and I thought it would be prudent to buy another lap top to have on hand for when a mushroom cloud formed over this one. The new one was 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I took it to my computer guy to show me how to at least turn it on and off. He told me of a fantastic new thingy known as 8.1. He showed me a computer that had the update. I left the shop with my head in a spinning fog and my new computer updated.
    Well then, along comes 10. Everyone I have asked about it said “Do IT.” So I dooed it and I am even more lost than before. I can only get to go to sleep by letting it time out. I feel I need to find a cave where I can sit in it and bang two rocks together.
    If I should drop off the face of the earth, forum wise, my computer imploded or ate me. I long for days when I was smarter than my phone. But I still like pointless timing.
    1979 XS 1100 Special - Nicknamed "MONSTER"

ATC fuse box
    Braded stainless brake lines
    4/2 aftermarket exhaust(temp until stock is re-chromed )
    V-Max auto cam chain adjuster
    Brake light modulator with reserve brake light bypass
    Vetter Windjammer III faring
    Tkat Fork Brace

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed; unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms”
    James Madison, The Federalists Papers

Comment

feel I need to find a cave where I can sit in it and bang two rocks together.
      Let me know if you need a roommate. LOL I spent over twenty years making my living with personal computers and networks, and frankly I'm so sick of the constant change of technology I just ignore it as much as possible these days. I'm thinkin' Alvin Toffler was right.

My favorite technology these days is fire. It's reliable, never needs a reboot or upgrade, and you can heat your house and cook your dinner with it.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I am right there with you if they would stop messing with the stuff that works it would be just fine but they have to take something that is fine and mess it up to act like its been enhanced.
        To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
        1980 G Silverbird
        Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
        1198 Overbore kit
        Grizzly 660 ACCT
        Barnett Clutch Springs
        R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
        122.5 Main Jets
        ACCT Mod
        Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
        Antivibe Bar ends
        Rear trunk add-on
        http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

A final update!

Hey there Folks,

Well, if you haven't updated/upgraded to Win10 by tonight(7-29-16), you've missed the deadline! Why they didn't set it for the end of the weekend, I don't know??

I had bought a new Nvidia GeForce GT710 PCI-E2 2Gb DDR3 Graphics card so that I would have one that had a Win10 driver set! My old Asus EAH3450 was an ATI based Radeon, but was too old and would not have Win10 drivers. I experienced the poor video performance affect of Generic Win10 drivers with my Laptop, so I knew what to check before installing Win10.

I installed the Graphics card, the Win7 drivers auto installed. I performed the backups of my documents that I wanted, along with my email database files. I then ran the Win10 Upgrade Install off of my burned DVD, watched it closely to make sure it didn't HANG UP, and it went all the way just fine. I opted to get the updates AFTER the install. I also selected to Customize the Privacy stuff and turned off essentially all of the spy stuff!

Like Greg had said, Win7 is set to run out in a few more years, and since I had BOUGHT my Win7Pro retail disc, I couldn't pass up a FREE version of the next OS. Will have to see how my other OLDER apps/programs work with this new OS.

SO....if you have upgraded to Win10, hope you're enjoying it. If you still have Win7( I really LOVED mine), you still have a few more years to play with it, unless MS creates a service Pack...but I doubt they will!

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

My old ASUS notebook won't let me download and install it either.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

There is a little application in windows 10 you may want to turn off, it is a spell checker and it can change spelling and entire words. The problem is it does not mark them red and let you decide it just does it and it can be easy to miss when you are sending stuff. You may have noticed you are doing a search online and it searches for something else there you go that little tool helping you out. Well if you think its great wait till you write a chat to a friend of ethnic origin and jokingly try to write he's always been a good rigger and see how happy you are when it changes just as you hit send.

Turn this crap off and use a regular spell checker the setting is under settings for Windows 10.

Another issue with Windows 10 is never ever blow out you factory restore partition because the Windows 10 back up is not so dependable. It will maintain windows flawlessly but you may loose your drivers for devices and interfaces for other programs and it can be a bitch to get them back and some can be lost. So having that factory partition gives you a different restore point to go back to. Eventually even that will not even work but its one more shot when a virus hits you.
              To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
              1980 G Silverbird
              1198 Overbore kit
              Grizzly 660 ACCT
              Barnett Clutch Springs
              R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
              122.5 Main Jets
              ACCT Mod
              Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
              Antivibe Bar ends
              Rear trunk add-on
              http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Hey Ron,

Thanks, I'll look for that spell checker and neutralize it. I had to print out my weekly grocery shopping list that I have in Excel format, double clicked on the shortcut to the actual file, it brought up my old Office 2k, just asked me if I wanted to REGISTER IT...NOPE...and it loaded up and displayed just fine. AND I was able to print it on my old HP952C Inkjet Printer WITHOUT having to install any newer printer drivers.....not sure if it just used the Win7 one that was there! My sound card works. I forgot that Windows/M$ finally got smart and included a generic DVD movie player app! So far, so good, but I'm sure I'll find some glitches as I dig into it deeper!

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Glad it working for you TC as I said I have had friends the upgrade goes fine small issues and they run for months and then have an issue either a virus or mistake on their part and their first thought is well I'll just roll back and that is when they get hit with a whamy. So back up your data and its a good Idea to get the release information and if possible your license info on other programs it can very helpful getting stuff to work later my biggest challenge was a DVD copy program I had that was licensed and it would only install a new copy I'd have to pay for.

Rodan
                  1980 G Silverbird
                  1198 Overbore kit
                  Grizzly 660 ACCT
                  Barnett Clutch Springs
                  R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                  122.5 Main Jets
                  ACCT Mod
                  Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                  Antivibe Bar ends