• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost There

475 posts...25 more and I'll be XSIVE MAXIMUS

Damn, that's big

your ride

Gday John
    Took a look at your album. What paintwork if any did you have done on the motor.
    In Australia I have seen black motors and black motors and you get the message
    Glenn
    Oz

Comment

Glenn, I did all of the paint work myself on this engine. It began life as the original engine of my bike, but I swapped it out 7-8 years ago in favor of a 13k mile XJ11 motor. I had the engine totally disassembled. BTW, do you know that 1100 is not the size of the engine? That's the number of parts inside it I sand blasted every piece that was to be painted. I used VHT brand, glossy engine paint. I baked each painted part in the oven at 200 degrees F for an hour. The cooling fins, I filed them flat and smooth, and sanded the file scratches from them. That made scraping the baked on paint much easier. I sanded the scraping scratches after that. I probably spent 4 hours just on the fins. I did a good bit of the work at my place of employment(thanks American Airlines), during my lunch and break times. Ok, I did do some work on the clock. The bright bits, I cleaned up on the wire wheel on a bench grinder, and then polished them with Rub N' Buff after. It was kinda fun, especially having SWMBO working with me, but I'm glad it's over, and I'm riding again.

Comment

oooooooo! Personal business on company time? I'm gonna tell.

But seriously. Since I'm new here, I have to ask...SWMBO?
        If it won't go, force it. If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Comment

swmbo

she who must be obeyed
          1982 XJ 1100
          going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
          now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Only four more posts to go...three after I post this fluff.

Comment

XSIVE MAXIMUS? Does size really matter? Oh, you're referring to number of postings...
              2010 Kawasaki Z1000
              1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

almost there

Hi John
                I often wonder if anodising would work on alloy motor. Obviously there may be heating problems as regards 1. longevity of anodising and 2. heat dispersion from the motor itself.
                Just some of the things an idle mind plays with
                Glenn
                Oz

I don't feel old - I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap.
                Bob Hope

Comment

If I were to pull the motor apart I'd probably go with powdercoat. There's supose to be some local guys who do it pretty reasonable. The Harley guys are great for powdercoat. But, with only 11,000 on this one, i can't justify pulling the top end apart. I was thinking to get a small wire brush (a gun cleaning brush would probably work) and get any loose stuff off. Then hit it with barbque paint (I've had good luck on headers with the Krylon) and sand off the fins with some fine sandpaper. Once it's painted, S-100 makes an engine brightener that works really well. Most of the Harley shops carry it so it's not cheap. I think it's just spray silicone in a small can with a nozzle that sort of fogs it on. It does do real well at bringing out the deep color as apposed to the gray look.
                  Thanks for asking about SWMBO, I was wondering too but was afraid to ask. Congrats on the Maximus title. That's a lot of posts!
                  Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"
                  2000 Heritage "Snow White"

Comment

Deano,

I see you're in Pen Argyl. My home is Stroudsburg, my signature only says NY because I'm there working more than I'm home

What say we get together this summer for some riding? I'll let you know when Swamp Thing is ready.

Randy

Comment

I made it!!!

500 posts!!! I am XSIVE MAXIMUS!!! (with reverb)

Comment

Congrats

glenn
                        Oz

Comment

Congrats on the 500. (Time to set a new goal)

Kevin
                          "Watchout for the guy behind the guy in front of you"

1980 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Concrats

Damn your finger has gotta hurt. Probably both of them.
                            There's always a way, figure it out.
                            78XS11E

Comment

It's called the 'Search and Destroy' method of typing.

Comment

Working...
                              X