Thinking of buying a project car with a smaller engine than my XS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of buying a project car with a smaller engine than my XS

There's a 59 Bugeye sitting in parts near my brother's house. 948 cc. The opposite of bulletproof Japanese engineering, but I love those things.

Wife would blow a gasket (just like all Austins are wont to do, come to think of it).

It would sit in a pile until I retired in 10 years.
    Steve R

'80 SG
    "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
    1978 XS400E Red
    1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Don't you have a hard enough time with space working on the XS? She might make you sleep in it.

I might be thinking of another XS'er in Harlem...
    Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Ha, no, it would sit at my brothers house in Peachtree City for many years until I retire and move out of this paradise. Kurt could put it together for me!
      Steve R

'80 SG
      "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
      1978 XS400E Red

Comment

Think no A/C

In the land of heat and humidity A/C is king.
        That and having a ride harsher than a poorly sprung XS...

The cool factor is pretty high though.
        79 SF & 80 LG MNS
        73 & 74 RD 350's
        73 Honda CL 450
        Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

What a Bug Eye Looks Like

I had to google it to refresh my memory, I had seen them but didn't remember that they were called that!

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

And I'm 6'3". They make no sense at all.

Folks do race them still.
            Steve R

'80 SG

Former bikes:

1978 XS400E Red

Comment

Hi Bergman16,
              The Bugeye or Frogeye as the Brits call them is a real gem.
              Well worth saving. while some have retained the all original purity many have done fairly extensive modifications. A few years ago I rode along with a friend in his ( hell of a time squeezing 6'2'' in ) with 1275cc motor trying to catch a Dutch guy in an 850cc in the countryside around Le Mans. What a blast.
              Phil
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

My dad had one when he was young and hated that thing like no other! Complains constantly about how he was always having to fix this or that. Couldn't get parts, always had to special order things from England, blah blah, blah....

Then again he is always trying to buy one again.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I've had two spridgets (not a bugeye) and aftermarket parts are much easier now I'm told. The crazy lever shocks used to be $275 each rebuilt. Now folks are making those and other things like hydraulics, radiators, etc.

I spent two years as a military brat in England in the early sixties and never lost my love for crappy brit cars. It's a sickness but a fun one.
                  Steve R

'80 SG

Former bikes:

1978 XS400E Red

Comment

Working...
                  X