Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
    Wow, Greg! What a bummer!
    Shame you don't know anyone who has some spare used parts...

Looks like a lot of fun to fix.

I lost the charging system on my Maxim that year I rode it to Branson...(remember when I called ya asking for some parts?)

Turned out it was corrosion at the reg/rec connector.

I had to also replace my stator once. The clear epoxy coating was cracked up badly, and it was giving me charging issues. Replacing fixed it.

I agree, looks like something shorted to ground to cause all those connectors to melt. Could have been something in the wiring harness that caused this, though.
    If that's the case, that's where the REAL fun starts to happen... (Chasing down shorts in the harness...)
    Got everything back together today, seems to be working OK now. 13 volts at 3K RPMs.

Replaced the stator and field coil, and the regulator. Cleaned up all the spade connectors in the charging system and replaced the melted connectors. I'll check it again in a couple weeks before the trip.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
    X