Not my day...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not my day...

Riding to work this morning Okie started misfiring and finally died at a stop light about halfway to the shop. Wouldn't crank, battery was dead. Got a jump and charged the battery enough to get the rest of the way.

This is what I discovered upon investigation......

The Stator plug behind the fuse panel

The big plug at the regulator

The stator is grounded to the case

Glad this didn't happen when I was at the top of a mountain pass in Colorado.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Wow

I bet your glad you had no fuel leaks eh| So what would cause a failure like that?
    mack
    79 XS 1100 SF Special
    HERMES
    original owner
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
    SPICA
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
    IOTA
    https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
    https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
    Frankford, Ont, Canada
    613-398-6186

Comment

Not sure mack, I'm just gonna replace it all. The shorted stator I think. Possibly a bad regulator.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Ahh. Good 'ol XS stator going fubar. Sucks dude. Been there before a few times.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Sorry Greg happens to the best of us. On the way home from XS south east last year my ridding buddy had a wire failure in the same group of wires and lost all lights had to trailer him home. Those connectors corrode easily and when resistance builds it puts a strain on everything and then if it shorts can burn many things at once. Glad you were not in the middle of nowhere.
          To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
          1980 G Silverbird
          Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
          1198 Overbore kit
          Grizzly 660 ACCT
          Barnett Clutch Springs
          R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
          122.5 Main Jets
          ACCT Mod
          Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
          Antivibe Bar ends
          Rear trunk add-on
          http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

When

I took my LH for it's first ride, my stator burned up too but it all occurred under the cover. Blew the main fuse but didn't burn any of the connectors. Had to replace the stator and all was good. I posted a picture at the time, made a heck of a mess.
            Was your regulator one of Tony's?
            mack
            79 XS 1100 SF Special
            HERMES
            original owner
            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
            SPICA
            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
            IOTA
            https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
            https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
            Frankford, Ont, Canada
            613-398-6186

Comment

One connector I could believe it was just corrosion Ron, but both AND the stator. I think something there shorted, most likely the regulator because everything upstream fried.
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Hmmm... Look what I just got in the mail today from Geezer! lol.

Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                  Glad this didn't happen when I was at the top of a mountain pass in Colorado.

Pfft! Yours would have been some spliced wires, electrical tape and go instead of being stuck 2 days and riding across mountain passes at night in a blizzard. (Man, I sure got warm that night..) Unplug the headlight and you could ride a long way if you fixed the short. Besides, we know you can tow people off a mountain pass with another bike.

Regardless... We'd have had to go back over the pass anyway to get someone's debit card from the last fuel stop.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100

Comment

Yeah, this is a little more than just a couple toasted wires, the charging system went into full meltdown.

Yeah, we got the towing thing down. Just dont't try and turn.

I think it should be illegal to run a gas station without pay at the pump capability.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Is that a kit

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                      Hmmm... Look what I just got in the mail today from Geezer! lol.

For all the connectors? I was going to ask if he could kit one up for me, taking them apart to clean is a PITA, major league. Cutting and replacing is much easier and the benefit is everything is fresh.
                      79 SF & 80 LG MNS
                      73 & 74 RD 350's
                      73 Honda CL 450
                      Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
                        Glad you were not in the middle of nowhere.
                        He is still in the middle of nowhere. He's in Tulsa

John
                        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Wow, Greg! What a bummer!
                          Shame you don't know anyone who has some spare used parts...

Looks like a lot of fun to fix.

I lost the charging system on my Maxim that year I rode it to Branson...(remember when I called ya asking for some parts?)

Turned out it was corrosion at the reg/rec connector.

I had to also replace my stator once. The clear epoxy coating was cracked up badly, and it was giving me charging issues. Replacing fixed it.

I agree, looks like something shorted to ground to cause all those connectors to melt. Could have been something in the wiring harness that caused this, though.
                          If that's the case, that's where the REAL fun starts to happen... (Chasing down shorts in the harness...)
                          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                            Regardless... We'd have had to go back over the pass anyway to get someone's debit card from the last fuel stop.
                            LOL!

(That wasn't the first time while riding with Greg that's happened... )

Hey, I was cool with it. The pie at that little cafe (while we waited for you guys) was awesome! Too bad there wasn't time for you guys to try any by the time you got back!

Hahaha... hey... after Max breaking down down in Colorado back in '09 on me and causing all the havoc for the trip like it did, I'm just always glad now when I make it back from a 3000 mile trip w/o trouble!
                            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Gmac,

No, not a kit. I just ordered 2 or 3 plugs of the 2,3, and 4 wired plugs and some extra pins. 2 days later, it was here!

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/connectors.html

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100