Blast Cabinet Possibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blast Cabinet Possibility

I'm looking at this big old igloo freezer thinking "Wouldn't this make an AWESOME Blast cabinet? It's already got sealed doors and the size etc would allow for an entire frame if desired with room at the bottom for media collection etc.

The only thing I would be concerned about would be my lack of sheet metal skills and the reaction from my wife when I showed up with this beauty and tried to put it in my garage... I'd really like to be able to do my own powder coating for cheap... but also would like to stay married, so we'll see.

Auction link is here: https://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/m...?150804/BQ9527

Photo:
    79 XS1100F (The SS Dumbo)
    - Her ears flap when you get up to highway speeds...

* Complete newb as far as attempting a restore, just couldn't pass her up after a test drive. She deserves better than whatever happened to her so far...
    * She's an "F".... More or less. has a pretty good mix of SF/F/?? Parts on her at the moment though.

My first thought was, man, that insulated box is going to get warm inside, which in itself may be an illogical observation for a blast cabinet, but I also then realized it is a freezer after all.

When it's not a working blast cabinet, it can keep your beer cold..
    82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
    Website/Blog

Comment

would the sand eat thru the thin Alum skin...dont know...just thinking
      Salty dog
      Eastern NC
      XJ-1100 Naked Boy

Comment

Cheaper and easier

Just spend $200 on one from Harbor Freight already set up and ready to use on day one.

The compressor in that one is dead too btw, no cold beer for you!

I might convert it into a gas fired oven for powder coating as it is almost big enough to hold a motorcycle frame and that is a simple process. Hardest thing would be regulating the temperature.

/my $0.02
        79 SF & 80 LG MNS
        73 & 74 RD 350's
        73 Honda CL 450
        Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

I've got a small cheapie blasting cabinet that I quit using quite a few years ago. My biggest problem was not being able to see what I was doing because the light output of the lamp inside the box, was way less than the ambient light level outside the box. Because the box is not very well sealed, I use it in my carport or on sawhorses beside the carport. Unless it was dark outside, I couldn't see what was going on inside the box. Now, I do my blasting in the open with a good dust mask under my face shield/hood. I've got great natural light and I can work pieces that are too big for the cabinet.
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Powder coating oven

I was thinking possibly better as an oven - there are a couple of food warmers on sale as well, which I'd bet I could take the heating elements and controls from to heat/regulate heat with. Thanks for the ideas!
            79 XS1100F (The SS Dumbo)
            - Her ears flap when you get up to highway speeds...

* Complete newb as far as attempting a restore, just couldn't pass her up after a test drive. She deserves better than whatever happened to her so far...
            * She's an "F".... More or less. has a pretty good mix of SF/F/?? Parts on her at the moment though.

Comment

Working...
            X