New bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New bike

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I finally got my cousin to sell me his SH. I have to go pick it up sometime in the next couple of weeks. It hasn't really been rode much for 3 years. I remember it was nearly out of gas when it was parked. A new battery was purchased and not installed.

Should I just replace the battery, check the vitals gas her up and let 'er buck? It needs tires and a new signal light switch as far as I know.

I look forward to getting it on the road. I'll get some pix posted soon.

Be prepared to clean the carburators if it has been sitting for three years.

If the battery was charged before it was "docked" it is likely shot and will not work anymore.

Oil needs to be changed and it might be a good idea to drop some oil in the cylinders prior to starting. Try to turn the engine without the sparkplugs to see if it is stuck.

I would hope for the best and just try to charge the battery, put some fresh gas in tank and try to start.

-M
    ---
    Marko
    '81 SH

Comment

Hey there Snow,

Check the tech tips about "THINGS TO LOOK FOR IN A USED XS", or something along that line, it'll tell you about what to check and many of the things you'll want to do to get it running, and keep it running right the first time so hopefully you won't encounter additional problems by not cleaning/replacing things BEFORE you started it up!!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Congrats on the purchase. Once you get the bike up and running , you'll get alot of pleasure out of ridin it. Welcome to the board. There's alot of interesting stuff on here, and alot of knowledge too.

Kevin
        "Watchout for the guy behind the guy in front of you"

1980 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Thanks guys. It's likely to be a couple of weeks before I have time to work on it and get it insured. I'll definatly set some time aside to do some maintenence before firing it up.

Comment

Working...
          X