Need help. Doing an overnight camping trip with the scoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help. Doing an overnight camping trip with the scoot

Some friends and I are attending Strange Days 5 here in Vernon, NJ. It's an annual biker get together that last's the weekend where people are welcome (encouraged) to stay and camp out. I'll be camping out just one night. I've never camped out so I was wondering what I should bring? I have a buddy coming in his car so he can carry the supplies, as I have no storage on my bike.

- I don't have a tent. Been on ebay and have not found something I like that is cheap, portable and VERY easy up. Recommendations? Please provide a link.
    - What other supplies will I need?
    - It's probably going to be warm/hot. Anything to stay cool at night?
    - What did you bring that made the overnight better?

Thanks for your feedback!
    Rob - 79 SF

No need to spend a ton - this one from Walmart is fine.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-7-...eps-3/13849028

$42 - if you can get by with smaller (I don't like small tents) you can find them for $25 for a 2 person.

You can try a cheap battery powered tent fan - I never felt they did too much but better than nothing.

If you have a car get good padding or air mattress for under your bag and bring a chair - its nice to sit in a real chair.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Chair,..good idea. Haven't thought of that. Thanks!
      Rob - 79 SF

Comment

I use a tent with a porch like this, all your motorbike gear can stay out in the porch, its amazing how much crap we have once unloaded from the bike, helmet, boots, waterproofs, jacket, pants, soft luggage. And you can use a small stove to heat food/drinks in the porch if its raining. Me and my son did a 3 week Euro tour in one like this, it was perfect, not too heavy, and quick up. One thing I try to get when buying a tent is the poles fit in the outer tent, and the inner hangs inside it, that way if its pouring with rain when you put it up its dry inside, if your tent has to have the inner put up first, in rain it'll be soaked inside before you get the outer on.

A self inflating mattress and 3-4 season sleeping bag, if its to warm peal it off, good to have if its cold.

A chair is good if you older (like me) a small lightweight is good for the bike.

And a hip flask with some rough Bourbon in case the bar is closed.
        Tom
        1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
        1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
        1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
        1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Bug spray
          can opener
          sleeping bag
          air bed/mattress if you can.
          Lighter
          fry pan if your cooking./food
          ax
          tv (just kidding)
          Tents are cheap for like a two man.
          soap/towel/ Tiolet paper
          beaverages.
          Theres a few ,have a great time.
          81 H

Comment

Just depends on how deluxe or basic you want to be. At a minimum: air mattress or foam pad, sleeping bag (look for a summer weight, most bags will have a "down to" comfort rating) pillow (standard or inflatable, standard is more comfortable), folding chair or stool, and a small tent. Going a bit more upscale, add a ground cloth for the tent/sleeping bag, compact (2 AA) flashlight, bug spray, water bottle or water container of some sort, light blanket (alternative to sleeping bag if it proves to be to warm) and folding saw blade and matches if you plan to have a campfire. A light tarp to throw over the bike can also come in handy.

For one night I would not plan to take any cooking gear. Eat out or take a small cooler with some deli meat, cheese, fruit, some bread and your favorite beverages and that should see you through. Also take at least 1 gallon of bottled water.

For the bike, take along something to use as a side stand "foot plate" if you use the kickstand or plan to put your bike up on the center stand. Kickstands tend to sink into the ground over time and your bike could fall over unless you distribute the weight over a larger area.

Walmart tent is OK by me. As I got older I bought a bigger tent, one I can stand up in and use my folding chair as a nightstand for glasses, cell phone, AM clothing and such.

Look into renting if you don't want to buy the gear you need. Many shops will rent you all the stuff you might want for less than the cost of buying a whole kit, even a basic one.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Some good suggestions. Some I did not think of, thanks all!
              Rob - 79 SF

Comment

On setting up the tent check the wind direction to get flow threw to keep cool and don't plan the fire to blow smoke in. Be careful where you set up as sometimes the nice flat smooth place is where water will pond up if it rains. Look up make sure there is not a dead tree to drop limbs if the wind blows. Familiarize yourself with what poison oak and poison ivy looks like if you are near deer paths make sure your bug spray works for ticks. Lightly spray the screen of the tent screen with a little repellant and give the tent time to air out. Do not put food in tent with you! If the tent is worn or you do not know the condition buy a bottle of camp dry or water repellant and spray the top cover it will keep you dry. If it rains do not touch the inside of the tent it can cause it to weep threw.
                To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                1980 G Silverbird
                Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                1198 Overbore kit
                Grizzly 660 ACCT
                Barnett Clutch Springs
                R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                122.5 Main Jets
                ACCT Mod
                Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                Antivibe Bar ends
                Rear trunk add-on
                http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Just use a couple of tarps,tie off to bike or tree and one on the ground.
                  A pillow is always nice.Chair as mentioned is really nice.

\
                  '80 XS1100 SG
                  Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxUpDrtBCO4

'80 XS1100 SG
                    Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Working...
                    X