Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my first bike!

Hello all,
    I am Rob and am new to both motorcycling and XS11.com.

I recently (5/17/15) purchased my first motorcycle, a 1981 (serial 4R0 000xxxx) XS100SH. An impulse buy, though dreams of a motorcycle had long since taken hold. A$500 final price and assurance the bike would make the 8 highway mile ride home was enough to seal the deal. (I did come across this site while reasearching the xs11 and did what I thought was a basic inspection)
    Although maintenance needs are apparent, it starts and runs seemingly well. My tech problems and questions will be saved for the appropriate forum threads.
    Initially bought as a starter bike to make it through this season, I have found I like my XS quite a bit. With all I have read, I beleive I will be doing my best to return to its former glory (or my version of its current glory) this wonderful motorcycle that made its way into my life, and likely plan to keep it a bit longer than just this riding season.
    Anyway, thanks for having me, and my excitement is more than you c a n imagine for this oppurtunity to join in the ranks of owners of such a motorcycle.

Rob
    (I would post a picture, but havent looked into how yet)
    81 SH

Welcome! There is nothing you will find quite like an XS11 and this community makes it even better.

I passed up a wicked deal on a buddy's practically new Harley because I was afraid going to a newer bike I'd lose touch with the XS11 family I'd grown so fond of, but don't regret it a bit.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Welcome, Rob. This forum is a real treasure trove of knowledge, and the guys are always very patient with all questions. Ask any question you need answered. Ride safely, and enjoy the sweetest scoot ( IMHO) around.
      79 F
      Previously owned: (among others)
      1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
      1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
      1973 Suzuki TM 125
      1979 XS1100 F
      2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
      1991 BMW K75

Comment

Welcome to the madness, Rob!
        Last things posted first, for posting pictures, you need a photobucket or other online account. Once you put up a photo, you can then link that photo via the "img" tab, and post it via the photo option you will see above the box you type in to post.
        Number two, and MOST IMPORTANT is that you have taken, or will take the motorcycle safety class!! These bike will outrun the brake and handling very quickly when they are running well. You need to learn the basics, and learn that YOU ARE A TARGET ON THE ROAD. Every car is out to kill you, and no I am NOT kidding!! You NEED to ride that way to be able to ride the miles I and a LOT of the owners on this site have.
        That said, enjoy the ride and freedom, and DO try and make a few of the local rides, be it with a local group or the XS rally near you.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
          ... MOST IMPORTANT is that you have taken, or will take the motorcycle safety class!! These bike will outrun the brake and handling very quickly when they are running well. You need to learn the basics ...
          +1 on this advice, Rob!

You have picked a large, heavy, and powerful motorcycle as your first bike, and since you are new to motorcycling ...

I would strongly recommend that you find a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course in your area and, at the very least, take the Basic Skills Rider Course.

WELCOME to the Forums ... we are glad to have you with us!
          Marco

Current bikes:
          1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
          1979 Honda CBX
          2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
          WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Hey FatCat,

My question is if you are new to motorcycling, WHO drove/rode the bike the 8 miles home?? Does Wisconsin require a special test or such for a MC certification, or do they anybody with a valid CAR license operate a MC?

Yep, we're invisible, I can't recall if I told you about the informational piece I made a few years ago, but if you go to the MISC forum, you'll find the thread with that similar title, it's a real EYE Opener....PUN intended!!

Again, welcome and enjoy.

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
              Hey FatCat,

My question is if you are new to motorcycling, WHO drove/rode the bike the 8 miles home?? Does Wisconsin require a special test or such for a MC certification, or do they anybody with a valid CAR license operate a MC?

Yep, we're invisible, I can't recall if I told you about the informational piece I made a few years ago, but if you go to the MISC forum, you'll find the thread with that similar title, it's a real EYE Opener....PUN intended!!

Again, welcome and enjoy.

T.C.
              Wisconsin would be our sister state with regard to many laws, etc. Same requirements as Michigan for a CY endorsement. So, if TC's question is hinting at the legality of riding a bike without an endorsement, then his presumptions are correct.
              1979 XS1100F
              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Welcome Cheesehead. Congrats on the bike . Good words of wisdom when riding. They are fast and heavy for sure. Check out the Lost Rally down below. If your comfortable with the bike and have time you will be in for a great get together/ride and meet some of the folks here.
                81 H

Comment

I'm at work currently... But wanted to get to this when I saw it, just won't be a long reply.
                  First, I have long since wanted a motorcycle and have read wisconsins motorcycle handbook nearly through every yearly revision for years, and have limited experience with dirtbikes when younger.
                  Anyway, I did pass and have a temp MC endorsement for Wisconsin, and am on a wait list for a safety course. I don't know how soon an available spot will open as I have been passed over twice already. But in the meantime, I am legally able to ride.

Thanks again for the welcome.
                  Rob
                  81 SH

Comment

I believe you can legally ride while under supervision of a licensed rider.

But.. I've been wrong before.
                    78 E

Comment

In Wisc. he can ride alone during daylight hours with a helmet. with that current permit. After the class you get full riding endorsment.
                      81 H

Comment

Originally posted by haywardguy929 View Post
                        Welcome Cheesehead. Congrats on the bike . Good words of wisdom when riding. They are fast and heavy for sure. Check out the Lost Rally down below. If your comfortable with the bike and have time you will be in for a great get together/ride and meet some of the folks here.
                        Was curious about the Lost Rally... Do you have more info on it?
                        I would say I'm still getting comfortable ( currently only had it on relatively low traffic areas and open highways) and the bike needs some going over (non functioning tach, occasional high idle/over revving while not in gear, burnt headlight, some cold starting issues thAt I think is battery related- starts fine on a booster and when warm, and maybe clutch and throttle adjustment)
                        81 SH

Comment

You could always haul it in a truck or trailer it to a meeting like this and get a hand on many things. If it is not safe then do not ride it! Then if you get to a rally the guys will help you out with so much you will be hooked.
                          2-79 XS1100 SF
                          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Mine always seem's a little cold blooded too, but always starts choked. the choke has 2 settings and the mid one will result in a high rev. Not saying thats it but worth double checking. All the Lost Rally info is down below in the regional section. looking like it will have a good turn out.
                            81 H

Comment

The 11 is easily the best bike in its price range. Any model XS is famous for simplicity, durability and reliability. Good pick for a starter bike. When I have a house and a garage I'm sure someday an E will end up in it.

If you get the motorcycle jitters the 650 is a sweet machine too.
                              1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

Working...
                              X