Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New XS11 Owner - Georgia

XS11 Folks,
    This is my first post to your site and I look forward to learning from and helping other XS11 owners when possible. I am very active on a site for Pontiac Trans Am and occasionally visit an XJ site.

When I was a mid/late teenager I worked for a Yamaha dealer in N.E. Pennsylvania (at the time the XS11 made its appearance). Although, as a teen I was typically responsible for; Snowmobiles, Dirt Bikes, Enduros, and the like I did get a little bit of experience working on these. I had some good training from an experienced and skilled motorcycle mechanic. Unfortunately, that was more than 30 years ago. I loved the XS11s but was not capable of affording one at that time.

I purchased a 1980 XS11 Special on Saturday (5/16) in Huntsville, Alabama. It's a "Fixer-Upper" in the EXTREME. Fortunately, it does start and that's it's most impressive feature. However, at only $300.00 I still think it was a deal and I enjoy the work. Although not quite so bad, my XJ Maxim was in comparable condition when I purchased it two years ago.

Check out this ridiculous turn signal & tail lamp treatment!

Believe it or not....my XJ was in SIMILAR condition 2-years ago.

I look forward to reading your posts and throwing in my 2-cents when it is appropriate and helpful.

Respectfully,
    KURT
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Welcome to CH11 Kurt and Thankyou for saving another venerable XS1100...if it comes out anything like your XJ550 maxim then you'll have done very well indeed. This is indeed the right place to come to for the knowledge and technical expertise...
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Thank you for the welcome MadMax.
      I've set a budget and target date of 5/16/16 to be driving my XS11 anywhere I like. The Maxim took a couple years to find all the parts and complete all the work. I'm so excited with the XS11 that I can't keep my hands (or Credit Card ) off of it and I've only had it a couple days.

The biggest problem may be the completely hacked-up wiring harness which may have been burned by an engine fire. Amazingly, the previous owner managed to jury-rig the wiring enough that everything except the turn signals works. Unfortunately, his "yankee-splices" aren't going to provide the reliability I demand. BUT, that's another story.......

Thanks again for the welcome!

Kurt
      Kurt Boehringer
      Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

The XJ Looks good, Kurt, and the little Honda hiding behind it, too. Well come to the madness!

It's going to take some work but at least your 'new' Special is pretty much all there even if it's been pounded instead of pampered by the P.O.

-- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
          The XJ Looks good, Kurt, and the little Honda hiding behind it, too. Well come to the madness!
          Thanks 3-Phase!

Both of those bikes took a good bit of work. All of these toys are memories of my youth! I'm currently debating the color of the "SPECIAL". As you may notice all my toys are '78 GM Martinique Blue as I had plenty available from the BIG TOY. I also have some PPG Green from a re-paint of my Daughter's car & PPG Argent/Silver from the T/A's rims that might find a new home on the "SPECIAL". I'm not a big fan of the stock Burgundy.

KURT

I do LOVE the Blue color though.....
          Kurt Boehringer
          Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Hi Kurt Welcome. I vote for the Blue looks very nice. I really like your "garage" I've never seen a garage with patio doors before but i like it.
            Have something ready to ride for XSSouth East in September.
            Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I love it: "I have all this blue paint but not quite enough for another car... Eureka! I have it! Old motorcycles!"

-- Scott
              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
              1979 XS1100F: parts
              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Kurt...looking forward to your progress on the XS1100...bring whatever bike you have to the XSSE rally at the Iron Horse MC Lodge in Stecoah NC...the 3rd weekend in Sept...I think...there is a tread with all the info... BTW I echo Phil's comments on your "garage" I have never seen french doors in a garage...down here in NC 90% of the homes have no garages...
                Last edited by madmax-im; 05-20-2015, 04:12 AM.
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

WELCOME, Kurt!

The people here are very helpful, and can walk you through any issue/problem you may have with your bike.

So, please feel free to ask any question ... someone here will have the answer.

You have a bit of work ahead of you, but once you get your "new" XS11 sorted out, you will love it!

Nice Maxim!
                  Marco

Current bikes:
                  1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                  1979 Honda CBX
                  2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                  WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Welcome aboard!!

LOVE the blue! The XJ looks REALLY nice!
                    Looking forward to the XS build progress.

Kat
                    81 SH Something Special
                    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                    80 LG Black Magic
                    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                    For those on FB

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                      Kurt...looking forward to your progress on the XS1100...bring whatever bike you have to the XSSE rally at the Iron Horse MC Lodge in Stecoah NC...the 3rd weekend in Sept...I think...there is a tread with all the info... BTW I echo Phil's comments on your "garage" I have never seen french doors in a garage...down here in NC 90% of the homes have no garages...
                      XS11 Folks,
                      Thank you for all the welcome wishes. My XS is such a "pile" I'm sure it will be interesting watching it turn from extremely "Ugly Ducking" into a nice ride.

RE:GARAGE.....
                      Also thanks for all the compliments on the garage. The previous owner of my home converted the garage to living space. That space was handy when I had four(4) kids at home as a "hangout" with supervision. The three oldest are out of college (UK, GA Southern, GA State) and on their own. The youngest is rarely around (Southern Poly - Junior) with girlfriends . I decided to convert it back to my personal "Man Cave". As a result I have: Cable TV, Stereo, A/C, Heat (rarely used in GA).

I've used VCT tile for the floor for durability and tried to give the place a motor-head feel without losing any of the creature comforts the previous living space provided. I share my man cave with the family dog as she sleeps there at night.

The French Door leads directly to our back porch so I can work on my toys and keep an eye on the Grill....

RE: NC Gathering.
                      I would love to attend but the XJ550 Maxim is a little too small for my liking on an interstate highway and the XS11 is not likely to be ready in time. I'm a very experienced biker but the 550 gets me a little "skiddish" on the highway. The XJ Maxim is as fast as lightning up to about 70mph but that light weight and higher rev. feel is not very comfortable. It's also not capable of hauling my wife and I around further than a couple mile play ride around town.

Respectfully,
                      Kurt
                      Kurt Boehringer
                      Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Top Rag

Hi Kurt,

Welcome to XS11.com. Congrats on the 1979SF purchase. You should anticipate a lot of fun putting this bike up to the level that you desire. Plenty of help available here to help you.

QUOTE:
                        RE: NC Gathering.
                        I would love to attend but the XJ550 Maxim is a little too small for my liking on an interstate highway and the XS11 is not likely to be ready in time. I'm a very experienced biker but the 550 gets me a little "skiddish" on the highway. The XJ Maxim is as fast as lightning up to about 70mph but that light weight and higher rev. feel is not very comfortable. It's also not capable of hauling my wife and I around further than a couple mile play ride around town.

There is always the trailer option to get your bike to the rally. I know all about trailering motorcycles as I have achieved one of the "TOP RAG" awards for trailering at a previous rally. Missing the rally is not something you want to do. Not a large amount of "highway" riding while at the rally.
                        1981 XS1100H Venturer
                        K&N Air Filter
                        ACCT
                        Custom Paint by Deitz
                        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                        Stebel Nautilus Horn
                        EBC Front Rotors
                        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Where to start a build/rebuild thread?

XS11 Guys,

I would like to start a thread discussing the current condition of my XS11 and gaining some input from the community.

I've been roaming around the forums and trying to get my bearings

Where is the best forum to start a build thread? I've got a thoroughly butchered and modified XS11 and I'll be looking for a much input as I can acquire.

Thanks again for all the welcome aboard wishes.

Kurt
                          Kurt Boehringer
                          Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
                            Where is the best forum to start a build thread? I've got a thoroughly butchered and modified XS11 and I'll be looking for a much input as I can acquire.
                            Hey, Kurt -

Start your new build thread in the Forum titled "XS11/XJ11 Discussion" ...

Fire away!
                            Last edited by Prisoner6; 05-20-2015, 06:22 PM.
                            Marco

Current bikes:
                            1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                            1979 Honda CBX
                            2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                            WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

I love how your garage really looks like an extension of your home and nice and tidy. I strive to someday get to that level of clutter-free life, but it'll be a long journey from my motorcycle- and parts-packed 2-car garage in both initial cleanup and behavior modification. In the meantime, it remains an obstacle course to rival American Ninja Warrior.

Welcome to the XS family. This community has some of the most knowledgeable people in all topics XS/XJ.
                              82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
                              Website/Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X