Closing My Flickr Account For Cause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closing My Flickr Account For Cause

The links to my pictures are about to go away because I'm closing my Flickr account for cause.

The bright bulbs at Flickr wrote an image search program to scan all user images -- even the ones marked Private -- and automatically add tags it
    determined were appropriate for the content of the image.

Flickr recently admitted that it has been running the new autotag program against its entire user base for the last year and decided to let its users know about the new "feature" and what it had been doing, along with a way to remove the new autotags from individual pictures. Naturally, the people with tens of thousands of pictures were understandably upset so Flickr offered to eventually provide a way to batch edit the autotags.

It was funny at first and I laughed too. The Flickrbot marked two of my pictures with the autotag 'airplane'. The first was a picture of the Flying Wing that I took at the Dream Machines show in Half Mon Bay, California. The second was a picture of the front of my XS11 with Mickey Mouse ears on the wiring harness connectors below the instrument cluster. That's 1 for the robot (yay!) and one against the robot (boo!).

Then some of the other users at Flickr started reporting some seriously disturbing "mistakes" made by the autotag feature, like marking pictures of Nazi death camps with autotags like 'sport' and 'jungle gym'; pictures of African Americans as 'ape', and other "mistakes" to disgusting to mention in public.

Inevitably, Flickr and some of the users have begun blaming both paying customers and free account users for sticking with Flickr if they don't want autotagging -- even though the Flickr/Yahoo TOS clearly states that all users are legally responsible for their images and any tags or content associated with them. By offering the ability to remove the new autotags, Flickr has in one swell foop made their users responsible for Flickr's autotag feature and any tampering by Flickr employees. There is no way to determine whether one single, solitary, criminally and civilly liable tag was or was not added by Flickr's image tagging feature OR if it was done by a bored/malicious employee or group of employees hacking the system and blaming the rogue program.

Flickr does not have the detailed logs and system audits that can prevent tampering with their system and after seeing some of the "mistakes" allegedly made by the autotagging feature I don't believe they were all mistakes. None of my pictures or their external links are worth associating myself, my pictures or anything else in my life with that kind of 'stuff' so I'm closing my Flickr Pro account. I'll try to find a way to host the pictures myself because Photobucket, Google and other image hosting sites are inevitably going try the same 'stuff' that Flickr's pulled on its customers but in the meantime the links are going bye-bye.

It was fun while it lasted but it's just not funny any more.

-- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Yeah, I have problems with some of the sites, so I try not to use ANY that I don't have to....
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
      Yeah, I have problems with some of the sites, so I try not to use ANY that I don't have to....
      The disappointing part is that I had just renewed my Pro subscription until March 2017 but there are some things up with which I will not put!

I think the era of 'free' global image hosting sites may implode but it could go either way so I wouldn't take it to 'Vegas. Most people don't give two hoots or a holler where they put their pictures as long as they can share them and find lots of puppies, rainbows and lolcats. The hosts will get (Ha! They already have!) "cloud fever" and straight-up gleep their users pictures or do something else equally illegal to pitch their service to advertisers and get them to pay for their stupendous bandwidth and maintenance costs.

I don't want to play, thanks. <stares>

-- Scott
      _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I've been using Photobucket for years...as far as I know they have yet to try this...If they ever do I will pull the plug on them (both accounts) both are free as I refuse to pay for this...If I ever lose PB accounts all my pictures are still saved because I have Picasa on my computer and it saves every picture i take that gets downloaded into the computer......The whole thing with Flickr sounds effed up...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

As far as you know, Photobucket doesn't scan your pictures, add hidden tags and do the same thing they do every day -- try to take over the world! <paranoid look>

-- Scott
          _____

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzZmU0aGmcc
            Marco

Current bikes:
            1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
            1979 Honda CBX
            2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
            WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Pinky and the Brain

LMAO! Got it in one!

The problem with the whole Flickr autotagging robot thing is that it runs 24/7/365, indexing and tagging everything for you while you're sleeping or (it hopes!) off taking more pictures for it to index and tag. You can delete one batch of autotags today and tomorrow there may be new ones from The Return of the Robot when it went through your pictures again and dumped a fresh load of new-and-improved tags because you were obviously displeased with the old ones and, "The only way to win is not to play...."

So anyway, sometime tomorrow, trash day here, the Flickr account goes to the curb along with the rest of the garbage and those pictures won't pic no more.

-- Scott
              _____

Comment

so how would i know if photofukit is auto tagging my pics?
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                  so how would i know if photofukit is auto tagging my pics?
                  Unless they tell you, someone would have to break an NDA. The Flickr autotags were supposedly 'internal' to Flickr, until they weren't of course.

Flickr sort of just came out and told it's users what it had been doing and we all got to see what Flickr'd been seeing for a year or so but it's hard to tell if it's because they're sincere or got caught with a robotic hand in the cookie jar. Flickr swears no humans ever see what the robot sees but they would say that even if they were putting everything up on the wall in the employee break room.

-- Scott
                  _____

Comment

I use any free service site like that almost as if anything I put on it is going to be open to anyone and everyone. I figure, it's free, it has its rules and regulations. Once it gets to a point where I no longer accept those rules and that issue becomes more important than the positives I receive from the service, I do the same thing... drop the service. But it does seem to be a bit underhanded of them at times...
                    Facebook did somewhat the same thing when it began auto-tagging people in photos.
                    The fact that Flickr used derogatory terms though, that's extremely unprofessional... and to be a paid service? Even more so...
                    81 SH Something Special
                    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                    80 LG Black Magic
                    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                    For those on FB

Comment

If you guys are looking for a temporary solution, short term, I can host photos on my domain and you can link to them there. You would need to send me the photos to upload, though, not convenient or fast.

My hosted account is not large in storage - my site is only about 1.3mb - which is why I use Cincopa for most of my Gallery pages but I would be willing to host individual photos for posting in various threads.

Cincopa may be an alternative hosting solution for some of you. I have a Pro account there and, although not perfect, is a workable solution. A free account is also available with more limited storage capacity. I normally link to albums but I think you can link to individual photos as well; I have not tried this so don't take it as gospel.

Let me know if you want to use my domain to host a few of your photos.
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.
                      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Thanks for the thought, Jerry, I'm going to have to think about how -- and if -- I'll put everything back online. Hosting images can eat bandwidth faster than Mikey can polish off a bowl of cereal.

Fixing the links here on the site would be a chore too. I wouldn't trust a script to crawl the database, something would get whacked.

'Kat, the highest hurdle is the TOS. It's worse than taxes: the users are responsible -- and liable -- for their account and there are no weasel-words for something that may or may not have been added by Flickr. That may come down the line but there are no detailed machine audit trails to prove one way or another who wrote what and taught the robot how to tag. I'm convinced someone at Flickr is lying their little tailfeathers off and I won't participate.

And there's no way I'm going to scan the image tags in my account every day/week/month/year for the rest of my life to see what some robot added or replaced, nor sit on my hands and wait for the villagers to show up on the lawn with torches because I didn't get rid of a bogus robotag.

-- Scott
                        _____

Comment

On the way to kill the account now

A follow-up to the Flickr fiasco in The Guardian:-

Flickr faces complaints over 'offensive' auto-tagging for photos

Auto-tagging system slaps ‘animal’ and ‘ape’ labels on images of black people, and
                          tags concentration camps with ‘jungle gym’ and ‘sport’

-- Scott
                          _____

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                            ... I'm going to have to think about how -- and if -- I'll put everything back online. Hosting images can eat bandwidth faster than Mikey can polish off a bowl of cereal.
                            You have a singular wit, Scott ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow5cHJx43i0
                            Marco

Current bikes:
                            1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                            1979 Honda CBX
                            2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                            WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Originally posted by Prisoner6 View Post
                              You have a singular wit, Scott ...
                              Naturally. Humour is the very essence of a democratic society ....

-- Scott
                              _____

Comment

Working...
                              X