Broke down at 10,000 feet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke down at 10,000 feet

Tod, Greg, Bob and I are on US550 about 6 miles north of Silverton on a turn out. Tod's XJ drive splines or Final drive went out coming down the grade. No movee.

Bob is trying to setup an AMA tow into Silverton.

Anybody got parts?

I have mifi signal but no cell. Bob rode ahead to call.

Email is fastest at jwhughes3 at gmail

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Rear housing

Hey John I had to google where you are ..looks like Southern Colorado ?
    I am up here in Denver Most likely have what you need ..But looks like you are about 6 hrs. away ...Let me know if I can help ..Joe
    78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

They spent the nite and grubbed out. Rode with them some 250mi. today and split off at Ridgeway....me back to Junction... them towards Zion via RedMountain(white,white today....litterally falling out of air white.

At this point , they finially manage a tow truck up there and all are goin to be in Durango(definitely unplanned) at a motel.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I had there exact location, and they were definitely miserable waintin for a haul truck.......33degrees and snowin' hard, fortunately not stikin' to road.
        Their pullin things apart tonite......wiped shaft splines most likely. Hopefully final drive splines survived enough that another XS11 shaft's spines survive to get Tod home on two wheels........if one can be located, or final AND shaft. Parts DEFINITELY aren't happening in Durango, as I don't know anyone with an xs11 or parts there anymore, as there were only a couple people besides me that had them in Durango.

BTW, whether a good or bad thing, them boys got ALL four seasons in one day.......with way fun roads and scenery at a VERY spirited pace.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Parts?

I've got a drive shaft if the final drive and coupler are still good but someone has to be closer than California.

USPS isn't as bad as I thought for three-day but it wouldn't get there until May 22nd if I sent it out tomorrow morning; haven't checked overnight prices.

Stay warm; stay dry!

-- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

parts here too

I'm sure I have what they need ..but they have to contact me to let me know what they need
            78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

parts

middle drive, driveshaft and universal, final drive(specify color) and rear wheel spline, can ship us priority mail, usually takes two days, can ship tomorrow, call me to provide a location ya want parts shipped too. thanx andreas 1 250 495 3445

Comment

They're all frozen in place at 10,000 feet and probably can't use their phones because they're frozen right along with them. Hopefully CDOT will politely plow around 'em and they'll thaw out before the Colorado Rally.

-- Scott
                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                1979 XS1100F: parts
                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Made it here to Durango finally. What a hassle to finally get off the mountain. Greg towed me down the mountain 6+ miles to Silverton. I think I wore out the front brakes, but we got there without crashing.

It's near freezing and pouring rain, so it'll be morning before I tear into it to see what the problem is. We're just going to try to thaw out this evening.
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Thanks Joe for the offer. We will see whats needed tomorrow.

John

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

And rdmcguy, I appreciate your offer and may have to hit you up on it after I figure out what's wrong. Thank you!
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                        And rdmcguy, I appreciate your offer and may have to hit you up on it after I figure out what's wrong. Thank you!
                        Really? Don't have what you need in that huge bag of parts you carry?
                        Good luck
                        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                        1981 LH

Comment

Roaside repairs

Mornin fellas,
                          Glad you made it to a place that has wifi...
                          You're more than welcome to contact me at 303-204-5886.to let me know what you need and how to get it to you ..
                          On the job today no computer access

Comment

Turns out its the hub on rear wheel that stripped out. Not FD or shaft.

John

Comment

Yep, the spline drive on the cushion drive. Simple fix if we had the part.
                              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X